Sinclair Broadcast Group - General Discussion

Smitha A

On 12/2/2018 at 5:41 AM, CircleSeven said:

A shareholder has filed the first lawsuit over the failed Tribune deal.

Wouldn't be surprised of more followed suit.

I've said it since Tribune filed their lawsuit against Sinclair, this is the beginning of the end for Sinclair as more media mergers and as we saw with Cordillera, other media companies like Cox that are looking for buyers will say No to Sinclair as many times as possible no matter how much Sinclair offers them.

Like @channel2 said in the Speculatron board, smart companies like Cordillera will avoid Sinclair at all costs because they cannot entrust Sinclair to make the necessary divestitures where needed. Only companies like Tribune will make a fool of themselves and be faced with months of regulatory delays and (eventually) the merger being sent by the FCC to an ALJ and resulting in a termination of the deal.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, channel2 said:

It doesn't help Tribune that they're a public company and they could be seen as breaching their fiduciary duty to refuse the highest bid...

True but that still doesn't change the fact that if Tribune knew the regulatory risks when they merged with Sinclair, they would've bypassed Sinclair at all costs (even if it meant being brought to court over breaching their fiduciary duty)

1 minute ago, GoldenShine9 said:

Heartless. If not for the non-compete, if I were a News Director at WRCB or WDEF, I'd be throwing an instant offer for her when she's ready.

If she isn't snapped up by a larger market first. And these are the people who we're supposed to let own every station in America. 

7 minutes ago, ColtFromGulfcoast said:

If she isn't snapped up by a larger market first. And these are the people who we're supposed to let own every station in America. 

Their GM is resigning too, largely because of how Sinclair handled this. Maybe he'll find a job somewhere else under another owner in a bigger market and hand Alex a contract? (Even if a smaller market, they could give her a lead anchor job).

This is 100% made in Hunt Valley.

7 minutes ago, GoldenShine9 said:

Their GM is resigning too, largely because of how Sinclair handled this. Maybe he'll find a job somewhere else under another owner in a bigger market and hand Alex a contract? (Even if a smaller market, they could give her a lead anchor job).

This is 100% made in Hunt Valley.

And then look who is the main one retweeting about Chris Bradley.  Could this shit be any more fucked up than it is? Thank God he was at WBNS when this happened, or Sinclair probably would have fired him on the day of his funeral. I apologize if this offends anyone but someone has to point out the hypocrisy here. I can't be the only one who sees this. 

Screenshot_(90).png

Screenshot (94).png

Edited by ColtFromGulfcoast

1 hour ago, ColtFromGulfcoast said:

And then look who is the main one retweeting about Chris Bradley.  Could this shit be any more fucked up than it is? Thank God he was at WBNS when this happened, or Sinclair probably would have fired him on the day of his funeral. I apologize if this offends anyone but someone has to point out the hypocrisy here. I can't be the only one who sees this. 

Screenshot_(90).png

Screenshot (94).png

Hypocrisy much?

6 hours ago, J1975am said:

I used to think that Sinclair represented everything wrong with broadcasting. Now, I see that Sinclair represents everything wrong with everything. At long last, Mr. Smith, have you left no sense of decency?

I'll give Sinclair a pass for how they went out of their way to offer condolences for Chris Bradley.  Remember, he was WSYX's chief before he went over to WBNS.  Even better is how the entire market came together (including WCMH) to honor him and encourage others to support the fight against cancer.  It's an issue that affects millions and anyone can be impacted by it.

On the other hand, there is no excuse for what they did in Chattanooga.  Bravo to their GM for leaving them.  If she was subjected to a non-compete, it should be declared null and void and she should be free to work wherever she chooses when she is able to.

There needs to be some kind of federal law to protect people from stuff like this. Since TV markets often cross state lines, it is an interstate matter that warrants federal protection.  Sadly, under the current climate, it will probably never happen.  Hopefully, Sinclair gets sued over this one....

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

The Cubs and Sinclair are reportedly working together on launching a new RSN.

https://awfulannouncing.com/local-networks/cubs-marquee-rsn-sinclair-nbc-sports-chicago.html

Additionally, the Yankees are discussing a potential joint bid with Amazon and Sinclair for the YES Network.

http://www.sportspromedia.com/news/new-york-yankees-amazon-sinclair-yes-network

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/20/2018 at 5:28 PM, hmaxhanson said:

I know it was announced a month ago, but I think STIRR is a ridiculous name. Is it an acronym for something? I would also assume the entertainment shows and movies will be coming from MGM like Comet & Charge.

Bumping this up since STIRR launched yesterday and it's....really good. I tried it out with WLUK and it's got a good design behind it, all of Sinclair's subchannel networks (in Milwaukee they only have Comet so it's good to have access to them in some way), along with Buzzr. It looks like they want to put on syndicated programming eventually when the syndication industry finally finds a full-show streaming solution (so...seven years from now 😒), plus local news streaming/on demand in their major markets. I hate to compliment the evil empire, but they made a good app here.

Edited by mrschimpf

8 hours ago, mrschimpf said:

Bumping this up since STIRR launched yesterday and it's....really good. I tried it out with WLUK and it's got a good design behind it, all of Sinclair's subchannel networks (in Milwaukee they only have Comet so it's good to have access to them in some way), along with Buzzr. It looks like they want to put on syndicated programming eventually when the syndication industry finally finds a full-show streaming solution (so...seven years from now 😒), plus local news streaming/on demand in their major markets. I hate to compliment the evil empire, but they made a good app here.

I know. I don't like complimenting Sinclair in any way whatsoever, but for once, they did something good here.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, broadcastfan9751 said:

The FCC's Administrative Law Judge has cancelled the hearing over the Sinclair/Tribune deal.

https://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/fcc-alj-drops-sinclair-hearing

But they still give them a stinging rebuke. Safe to say any new Sinclair deals are still DOA and they will have a grilling when it comes time to renewing licenses.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, GoldenShine9 said:

But they still give them a stinging rebuke. Safe to say any new Sinclair deals are still DOA and they will have a grilling when it comes time to renewing licenses.

Outside of maybe Sports but I don't think any professional sports team outside of maybe the bigger markets (i.e Chicago, NYC, LA, Boston, Miami) will be willing to deal with Sinclair's antics. On the sports-related question, do you think Disney is willing to deal with Sinclair with regards to the 21 former Fox RSNs? And how would the DOJ feel about Sinclair (potentially) purchasing those 21 FSNs?

As for the broadcast side of things, it's safe to say that Sinclair clearly wants to go down the RKO General path, and they've done a good job at it but, ultimately, that's what will lead to an eventual breakup (and knowing Sinclair's stance on the abandoned Tribune acquisition and the claims that they "did not" misled the FCC) it's not going to be a pretty one.