Sinclair Broadcast Group - General Discussion

Smitha A

Are Sinclair must runs insterted into newscasts that are produced by 3rd parties ? (Like WRLH, KSAS, WDKY, etc)

I don't think they have any during the newscasts themselves, although they might still have to air the Mark Hyman commentaries either during a commercial break or following the newscasts. For example, according to Wikipedia WSMH, after having its newscasts taken over by WNEM in 2006 (WEYI took it over two years ago), continued to air The Point after the newscasts until it was discontinued.

http://www.centralvalleybusinesstimes.com/stories/001/?ID=33675

Idk if this has already been posted but Fresno people. If y'all are looking to work in Omaha without going to Omaha, Sinclair's got you. You know, cause it's totally in the public interest to have newscasts coming from the other side of the country.

• Like 1

They been doing this practice for over four years now.

And the networks have been doing this for about 90 years.

Why would a newscast based in NYC be any different than one based in Fresno?

There is no longer any need for being based in a particular city now we have the wonderful information super highway.

No more MOS...just twitter quotes.

• Like 2

Apples and oranges though. The network newscasts are under no pretense of being local.

I might have to pour a cognac and light a cigar...and ponder the part about apples and oranges.

Actually I'm just being a cranky old bitch.

Look,

If these regional and out of market produced newscast suck so bad then nobody will watch.

I remember when KNBC was doing some of the WX for KNSD during the depression...it was sucky...people hated it.

They noticed.

When people demand a better local newscast they will get it.

Affluent communities that can support decent local newscast get OK coverage, because they can support the ad base.

Poor communities are going to get crappy coverage if they cannot support the local TV news outlets.

The tide will turn as it always does.

Happy Thanksgiving

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of Cunningham, it has recently filed an application to the FCC to Transfer the Control of the shell corporation to Michael Anderson. Cunningham was operated by him, and the trust of the late Carolyn Smith (wife of Sinclair's founder Julian Smith, and her maiden name is Cunningham). This reasoning of this application is to wind down that trust and to give all the Cunningham control to Michael Anderson.

After over 57 months, the FCC has finally greenlighted this 316 transfer.

• 2 weeks later...

The FCC is planning to fine Sinclair $13.3 million for failing to disclose that "news stories" about the Huntsman Cancer Institute were actually paid advertisements.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-sinclair-fcc-exclusive/exclusive-fcc-plans-to-fine-sinclair-13-3-million-over-undisclosed-commercials-idUSKBN1E92C7

• Like 3

The FCC is planning to fine Sinclair $13.3 million for failing to disclose that "news stories" about the Huntsman Cancer Institute were actually paid advertisements.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-sinclair-fcc-exclusive/exclusive-fcc-plans-to-fine-sinclair-13-3-million-over-undisclosed-commercials-idUSKBN1E92C7

Oh well too bad...so sad.

I guess they can't buy Tribune now cuz they will be 13mil short.

Can we all go home now?

“S rozhdyestvom Hristovym!”

• Like 3

Is that all? Meh. Surprised they were able to get away with it for so long.

• Like 1

UPDATE: The FCC has officially issued a Notice of Apparent Liability for Forfeiture (NAL) to Sinclair.

Can't buy an NBC affiliation. (Or KSL.)

But you CAN get a few hours of "quality time" at one of the Elko legal brothels.

I searched it...I clicked on it...I looked at the pictures .

Once that newscast is gone...those boys in those northern "cow counties" will have a little more extra time on their hands.

Come to think of it...

O.J Simpson did his time at the prison in Lovelock...just down the way a bit.

Maybe they just ran out of news now that OJ is gone.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...