Sinclair Broadcast Group - General Discussion

Smitha A

[ATTACH=full]3962[/ATTACH]

Then tell some people who still say that Sinclair will do this/that to stop that, then I won't have to repeat myself this.

Been trying to tell them that I don't know how many times and some how and some way it's fallen on deaf ears

The Bonten TV stations in Montana - part of the group Sinclair wants to acquire - are the only outlets not competently covering the rather big story of a congressional candidate assaulting a newspaper reporter.

[MEDIA=twitter]867598130346422272[/MEDIA]

Not only is there audio, but a Fox News crew saw the assault and corroborated with the victim's testimony. This trio of stations are the only outlets pushing this narrative.

Why is this? Because said assaulter is a Republican.

I, along with others, assumed this was a fait accompli and that Sinclair already took over. As it is, Sinclair does not own them yet. My initial post (and that tweet) was wrong.

Bonten is suffering from institutional failures of their own, arguably even worse than anything I've seen in awhile.

• Like 1

The Bonten acquisition was only announced a month ago and SBG hasn't taken control of anything yet there, so this has no Hunt Valley handprints all over it.

But this is still a sad example of the 'press release journalism' you see in small towns where only the police and their press releases are considered to be official, and everything else is under the broad 'sources say' discrediting, or the dreaded 'balanced news coverage' umbrella designed to fill out 90 seconds. At least the state's other media like their newspapers and other TV stations are taking a wider view.

• Like 1

Sinclair TV stations in Montana are the only outlets not competently covering the rather big story of a congressional candidate assaulting a newspaper reporter.

[MEDIA=twitter]867598130346422272[/MEDIA]

Not only is there audio, but a Fox News crew saw the assault and corroborated with the victim's testimony. This trio of stations are the only outlets pushing this narrative.

Why is this? Because said assaulter is a Republican.

Dishonesty and corruption at Hunt Valley proudly showing its face yet again.

But that's wrong because Bonten still owns KECI. It hasn't been fully acquired by Sinclair yet so that's preposterous to blame it on a future owner that hasn't had any control of the stations just yet.

But that's wrong because Bonten still owns KECI. It hasn't been fully acquired by Sinclair yet so that's preposterous to blame it on a future owner that hasn't had any control of the stations just yet.

This isn't like some of the recent Gray and Nexstar acquisitions where an immediate LMA resulted in transfer of operational control before the sale was consummated.

I did hear someone suggest that Bonten's stations had a similar conservative lean to SBG though...I'd have to find it.

This isn't like some of the recent Gray and Nexstar acquisitions where an immediate LMA resulted in transfer of operational control before the sale was consummated.

I did hear someone suggest that Bonten's stations had a similar conservative lean to SBG though...I'd have to find it.

It's ok....

The right leaning media is now balancing out the left leaning media....or vice versa.

Fair is fair right?

• Like 1

Well poopie. Goddam it. That post is edited.

Excuse me for a minute.

IMG_1552.JPG

• Like 2

But this is still a sad example of the 'press release journalism' you see in small towns where only the police and their press releases are considered to be official, and everything else is under the broad 'sources say' discrediting, or the dreaded 'balanced news coverage' umbrella designed to fill out 90 seconds. At least the state's other media like their newspapers and other TV stations are taking a wider view

Press release journalism runs amok in markets like Fort Wayne (the Fort Wayne Media Maven is a testament to that). It's what happens when a station, or set of stations, don't have nearly enough resources to do their jobs.

Something tells me that won't really change under Sinclair when they take over (they haven't yet; my initial post was inaccurate and revised to indicate Bonten ownership).

• Like 2

Press release journalism runs amok in markets like Fort Wayne (the Fort Wayne Media Maven is a testament to that). It's what happens when a station, or set of stations, don't have nearly enough resources to do their jobs.

Something tells me that won't really change under Sinclair when they take over (they haven't yet; my initial post was inaccurate and revised to indicate Bonten ownership).

Bonten has felt like Sinclair Jr. for quite a few years though.

• Like 1

Like in Oklahoma City, the DOJ/FCC will not allow Sinclair to form a triopoly between KOMO and KCPQ/KZJO

Acually, Sinclair would hold a "quadopoly" in the Seattle market since they also own Univision station KUNS, which is and was part of the KOMO duopoly.

Acually, Sinclair would hold a "quadopoly" in the Seattle market since they also own Univision station KUNS, which is and was part of the KOMO duopoly.

Salt Lake City (KUTV-KMYU-KJZZ and KSTU)

Scranton/Wilkes-Barre (WOLF-WSWB-WQMY and WNEP) However, both of those markets, Sinclair uses their shell companies for at least one of the stations in the same market.

Harrisburg and Richmond they can't form duopolies in both of those markets as they have too few full-power stations to permit legal duopolies (plus the top 4 market rule as well)

Sinclair is dumping Nielsen for audience measurement in all its markets and going with comScore

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/104783/sinclair-turns-to-comscore-for-all-tv-ratings

Remember in the Sinclair / Tribune merger thread a few weeks back where I lamented 3rd party vendors stand to lose a lot if the merger goes through?

This could break Nielsen. I'm serious.

• Like 8

Remember in the Sinclair / Tribune merger thread a few weeks back where I lamented 3rd party vendors stand to lose a lot if the merger goes through?

This could break Nielsen. I'm serious.

Nielsen has branched out into some other forms of measurement in other fields, however this is s pretty big hit so it should be interesting to watch.

I have no love lost for Nielsen, it's a racket and way overpriced for what you get.

Why should we (KBEX) pay for that service when our sales staff just "sells around" Nielsen anyway.

Having Comscore in the picture has allowed station sales teams to "question" the Nielsen numbers more and more.