Sinclair Broadcast Group - General Discussion

Smitha A

Still, Sinclair has a good relationship with Fox, so if Sinclair wanted to, they could buy a 20% in Fox Sports.

But they can't simulcast Fox NFL games on their stations. It works with ESPN and NFLN because they're on cable. Fox doesn't show games on FS1. If your regional team is playing it's already on the air on local TV in your market.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
I know there is the Real Salt Lake deal with KUTV. There are only three other MLS teams in Sinclair markets (Columbus, Portland, Seattle) and they seem content with their current deals.

Columbus' Deal with Time Warner is up and to be honest it wasn't popular with the fans so Sinclair coming and offering a New TV contract might not be a bad thing for them to do.

For some reason, I somehow think that Disney should've bought all or most of Albittron instead of Sinclair. They were all ABC affiliates anyway.

I quote of what TVNT member Breaking News said "Disney doesn't buy TV stations. Didn't anyone learn from the sale of WJLA? ANYONE???? THEY DON'T BUY STATIONS!!!"

• Like 2

For some reason, I somehow think that Disney should've bought all or most of Albittron instead of Sinclair. They were all ABC affiliates anyway.

It doesn't make sense for networks to buy stations anymore. Especially considering there's no need to when your network affiliates are paying for the privilege to carry your programming. It may have been cool to have an O&O in Washington but the other stations, it was going to be a hassle to sell them off. Especially if you're Disney.

It makes sense for Telemundo to buy O&O's (but not NBC) because let's face it. Latino's are a hot growing market and if you can be in the positions of many hot spots (like Tuscon) than it'll make you a whole lot of money.

It also makes some sense for Fox because Football makes them money; but that's if they're smart enough to keep NFC rights.

It doesn't make sense for networks to buy stations anymore. Especially considering there's no need to when your network affiliates are paying for the privilege to carry your programming. It may have been cool to have an O&O in Washington but the other stations, it was going to be a hassle to sell them off. Especially if you're Disney.

It makes sense for Telemundo to buy O&O's (but not NBC) because let's face it. Latino's are a hot growing market and if you can be in the positions of many hot spots (like Tuscon) than it'll make you a whole lot of money.

It also makes some sense for Fox because Football makes them money; but that's if they're smart enough to keep NFC rights.

Not sure if I follow your NBC/Telemundo point. So are English-speaking people a dying breed?

I also maintain that this Fox football strategy is flawed.

Not sure if I follow your NBC/Telemundo point. So are English-speaking people a dying breed?

I also maintain that this Fox football strategy is flawed.

Latino's can speak English too; the thing about Hispanics/Latinos is that they have more money, can make more influential changes and as a market, are easier to approach. (ala niche)

I also agree that it's flawed as well; I will laugh if they're forced to sell WJZY/WMYT after spending alot of money to get into Charlotte but for now; it works for them if they're smart enough.

• Like 1

One word, money. Sinclair offered the most promising offer to Albittron.

And them buying Albittron and Fisher effectively made them the 2nd largest group of ABC affiliates as they have affiliates in larger markets (DC, Seattle, St. Louis, and Portland OR). What next? Sinclair influencing ABC news into leaning more towards the right wing?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Sinclair is partnering with NewsON...

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/mobile/index/article/id/91618

Props to them for making this move....considering their awful live streaming taking over some of their acquired "livestream" operations...

According to TVSPY they are only adding 30 of their stations NewsOn

Is WJLA going to be Sinclair's second flagship because of this and a few other factors???

How many flagships are they going to have now? WBFF, WSYX/WTTE/WWHO mints money, KOMO, WJLA ... They sent a WSYX crew out to help KOMO on a big news story a while back (I forget if it was fires or mudslides).

• 3 weeks later...
So now it's official....WTVC swallowed the non-broadcast assets of WDSI....AND entered into a JSA with WFLI....

All without a single word spoken to the FCC...

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/mobile/index/article/id/92352

Welcome to the future of broadcasting!

Looks like they bought the real estate only. They also probably will write the equipment/ furnishings off as obsolete.

Unless someone with standing marches into Federal Court and challenges with a notice to show cause... it will most likely just fade away.

The "Broadcasting Bubble" WILL burst in the near future.

Which mega group will cry "too big to fail".

Keep watching ClearChannel /IHM.

• Like 4