Sinclair Broadcast Group - General Discussion

Smitha A

The interesting thing is, WDSI and WFLI weren't even included in Sinclair's original deal to acquire the other New Age Media stations.

That may have been the plan all along if neither company wanted to operate WDSI as a going concern (or spin it off entirely). WFLI is out of the top 4 and could fall into "failed station" or SSA territory...

EDIT: And now its official as Sinclair is buying the non-license assets and programming of both stations...

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/business/aroundregion/story/2015/sep/11/sinclair-buys-local-tv-stations/324534/

The article goofs that Meredith still owns WFLI....they were divested to MPS media and shelled under New Age WAY back in 2008.

Well, it looks like Sinclair is setting its acquisition sights on cable now, as The Wall Street Journal is reporting that the company is in discussions to acquire the Tennis Channel.

In this environment where cord-cutting has reached record levels?

It makes absolutely no sense unless they want to use the channel space for their possible national news channel. But shouldn't they be buying OANN and NewsMaxTV instead?

In this environment where cord-cutting has reached record levels?

It makes absolutely no sense unless they want to use the channel space for their possible national news channel. But shouldn't they be buying OANN and NewsMaxTV instead?

I think they'd evolve TTC into being a full-time ASN channel if anything.

A channel is a channel these days. If it has a slot on lots of systems, it's better than trying to start one from the ground up.

I wouldn't put it past Sinclair to hit the reset button on TTC as either a national version of ASN or for their grand vision of NewsChannel 8 as a national news channel.

WOW....Do people watch Tennis like that? Ok let see how this will play out. Does Sinclair have the $$$ for this? I know it business, but they're being like the fat kid at the party eating all the cake from everybody else.

I see it as a real estate move. It's a channel with a well-established national distribution on the major cable system that's NOT owned by Comcast, Viacom, or any other bundle-happy conglomerate that have destroyed cable and satellite television as we know it by driving up our bills with excess channels and bloated subscriber fees.

Now whether Sinclair could pull off this deal, AND make it work is still to be seen. Tennis programming would be out the window and Sinclair will more than likely use it as a vehicle for as they please.

A perfect example would be the CBC owned Newsworld International which became Current TV when sold to Al Gore/Joel Hyatt, and when they sold it....it eventually became Al Jazeera America.

ASN has picked up another rights package, and it's a big one IMO. They've acquired the rights to televise the American Athletic Conference's men's basketball games starting this upcoming season.

To me this fuels speculation that Sinclair will pick up whichever station M-MG divests in Connecticut since UConn is in that conference and is one of, if not the strongest school in the conference in that sport.

ASN has picked up another rights package, and it's a big one IMO. They've acquired the rights to televise the American Athletic Conference's men's basketball games starting this upcoming season.

To me this fuels speculation that Sinclair will pick up whichever station M-MG divests in Connecticut since UConn is in that conference and is one of, if not the strongest school in the conference in that sport.

UConn is there not necessairily out of want more than being stonewalled out of where they wanted to go. If they get an opening to bolt, UConn will. Is that really worth Sinclair using precious space towards 39% to take that risk?

As it is WCTX airs ASN programming already so it isn't like Sinclair is needing clearance there.

WKEF has changed its news branding to "FOX 45 News on ABC":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WKEF

http://www.abc22now.com/entertainment/

I mean I get wanting to have unified branding but having the junior partner in the virtual duopoly have the primary part of the branding doesn't make sense to me.

I agree with you, and not only that but ABC & FOX are two different networks as well too. Yeah it a mess.

• Like 1

Well it's probably due to WKEF being relatively weaker in ratings than WRGT. What I mean is that WRGT does pretty well for a small-market Fox, especially at 10pm. WKEF, OTOH, has always been an also-ran for decades compared to WHIO or WDTN. Even though it would seem crazy, remember who gets the better news ratings potential between WKEF and WRGT.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sinclair's new diginet Comet TV launches on October 31st according to TVNewsCheck. From what RabbitEars lists, it will be carried on stations owned by Titan (New York City, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philly, Houston, San Francisco, Boston, & Honolulu) and Tribune (Denver, Indianapolis, Hartford, & New Orleans) in addition to Sinclair.

Comet TV schedule for 10/31-11/6

Another interesting thing I've noticed is that Comet is replacing Zuus Country on some Sinclair stations (including WICS in my area). RabbitEars shows a few Sinclair stations still carrying it in some markets where they have enough stations to not displace it. It seems that the affiliate base for Zuus has really dwindled.

• Like 1

Here something maybe somebody can elaborate on. So in certain Sinclair markets such as; KGBT, KVII, WPDE, KTUL. Those stations have the new Sinclair web design. When you click on the bio page for the anchors/reporters. They have all the faces on their website. Is it me or why does the pictures look blurry, but when you click on them individually their pictures are clear?

I don't think anybody mentioned that Sinclair has a deal in place to buy KUQI in Corpus Christi for $9.25M. That's a reasonable price.

It will be interesting to see if they're planning on keeping it a stand-alone operation or if they're planning on partnering with KIII/Tegna on a shared services or if they hub it out to the point where the only things to find locally is a small sales office and a transmitter.