Sinclair Broadcast Group - General Discussion

Smitha A

WEYI will take over production of WSMH's 10pm newscast on April 27, while WNEM is moving their production to its digital subchannel.

Not surprised. Could WEYI beat WACH and WNWO and become the first former Barrington station to get the new graphics then? We will wait and see...

EDIT: WEYI would be the third.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just in time for the 2016 election, Sinclair is adding more political programming to its stations, while at the same time, expanding Sharyl Attkisson's role at the company.

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/84799/sinclair-signs-attkisson-for-sunday-am-news

Oh great, now KDNL can bridge between This Week with George Stephanopolous and Ring of Honor. I have a feeling Ring of Honor is going to be more informative than this news program will be, especially since it's being hosted by a woman who thought the Obama Administration hacked into her computer to delete stuff she was typing but most security experts suggest was just a stuck "Backspace" key.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharyl_Attkisson#Report_of_Attkisson.27s_computer_being_hacked

BTW: Did anyone else catch the irony in this?

Attkisson recently authored the New York Times bestseller, Stonewalled, which addresses the unseen influences of corporations and special interests on the information and images the public receives every day.

Oh great, now KDNL can bridge between This Week with George Stephanopolous and Ring of Honor. I have a feeling Ring of Honor is going to be more informative than this news program will be, especially since it's being hosted by a woman who thought the Obama Administration hacked into her computer to delete stuff she was typing but most security experts suggest was just a stuck "Backspace" key.

I like to think her "hacking" as her kids finding her Bluetooth keyboard / mouse who decided to drive their mother crazy.

One of her other things she complained about was a loose wire hanging out / near her Fios box in her backyard. I can't tell you how often cable/phone company contractors leave wires in your back yard following an install.

Engineering item:

Sinclair and Technicolor did the world's first live 4K+HDR, out of laboratory TV broadcast. It's clear they're gunning to be a leader in defining ATSC 3.0. And it sounds pretty impressive what they're doing.

I was confused when I saw that Technicolor was part of that. Then I remembered, they bought out most of RCA's TV business so then it made sense.

I was confused when I saw that Technicolor was part of that. Then I remembered, they bought out most of RCA's TV business so then it made sense.

I was honestly surprised that they were still testing. I haven't seen any updated updated letters from the FCC extending their authority which was originally granted 13 February 2013.

• 4 weeks later...

A total head-scratcher in some ways as Sinclair's Ring of Honor promotion is going national next week with an hour a week on Destination America. (This actually got "Destination America" trending on Twitter worldwide earlier today.)

It's a major upgrade for the promotion, giving them the 8pm EST slot, but it's also kind of odd. For starters, TNA airs at 9pm EST on the same night. And the article mentions Discovery has had trouble luring advertisers to TNA — which might be going away from the network in September.

So why buy more wrestling? Who knows, but even TNA's own talent sound confused. And it's a definite win for Sinclair.

Apparently the episodes will be the same ones seen several days earlier on Sinclair's own stations, too. I think this is the most coverage wrestling has ever received on this forum.

Sinclair's MyNetwork affiliate in Pittsburgh is changing calls from WPMY to WPNT

In addition, they're announcing more local content in the form of high school football (similar to what Sinclair has done in Columbus, San Antonio, West Palm, etc).

http://www.post-gazette.com/ae/tv-radio/2015/05/27/WPNT-TV-fromerly-WPMY-to-focus-on-sports/stories/201505260127

Sinclair's MyNetwork affiliate in Pittsburgh is changing calls from WPMY to WPNT

Disappointed in a way that they didn't revive channel 22's original WPTT calls, which were retired from radio a few years back...

• 4 weeks later...

Sinclair has announced a partnership with MGM to launch a science fiction-focused multicast network to launch later this year in markets covering 30% of the U.S. MGM will handle programming and operational responsibilities, while Sinclair will own it (given Sinclair's common business model, TVSpy compared it to an SSA in its story on the unnamed network, although its not too dissimilar to the arrangement between Tribune, and formerly Weigel, and MGM for This TV).

http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/sinclair-to-launch-network-with-mgm/151035

From TVSpy:

Sinclair Teams up with Michael Eisner to Make Syndicated Shows

By Kevin Eck on Jun. 30, 2015 - 1:01 PM

Sinclair_640.jpg

Sinclair Broadcast Group and Tornante Company have created a joint venture to “acquire, create, develop, produce and distribute first-run syndicated television programming.”

Former Disney CEO Michael Eisner owns Tornante, the creative end of the deal.

The two companies will split ownership 50-50 and plan to develop syndicated shows with a “unique take” on everyone’s favorite afternoon fare of comedy, talk shows, game shows and court shows.

Tornante Television is a leading independent company wholly-owned by Eisner’s Tornante Company. The company has launched critically acclaimed adult animation comedy BoJack Horseman on Netflix and Judge Faith in syndication in partnership with Trifecta Entertainment and Media. Judge Faith is licensed by Sinclair for syndication in over 35 markets and has been commissioned for a second season, which is set to debut in September.

“By owning content, we can create other revenue streams,” Steve Pruett, Sinclair’s co-COO told The Baltimore Sun.

Sinclair has expanded rapidly in recent years, mainly through acquisitions, and now wants to own more of the non-network and non-news content it airs. The broadcaster plans to expand distribution of the new programs beyond its own stations, by selling syndication, foreign rights, cable TV or subscription services, said Steve Pruett, Sinclair’s co-chief operating officer.

LINK: http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/sinclair-teams-up-with-michael-eisner-to-make-syndicated-shows/

Considering Sinclair has some irons in the fire besides its broadcasting properties, they should think about changing their name to something along the lines of "Sinclair Media" (though I believe they used it in the past for copyright tags, Sinclair Communications is out, since that name belongs to an unrelated radio station owner in Virginia).

http://www.sinclairstations.com/

• 2 weeks later...