Sinclair Broadcast Group - General Discussion

Smitha A

I take it WOAI is modifying their logo as well... It's about time!

if they are it will probably suck, the current logo is very nice and characteristic of the market and they have used a version of the same 4 for nearly 20 years. can't wait to see what they'll go with

and there can't be a seamless transition from one facility to the other? why do you have to go off air for the weekend? I will be watching at 10.

Also where are you getting Sunday from? It said in that tweet you linked to they will be there Monday.

EDIT: it looks like the morning show was their last show downtown. Interesting to see what they're going to do at 10. The thing that sucks is, they never told their viewers they were moving and which date. Basically they blindsided them and screwed them over. I knew it was coming in December but not today. I doubt most of their viewers knew.

EDIT #2: Never mind, they are currently airing a live newscast. I had to walk to the other room to confirm it. I guess at 10 they will do one last show.

They did a nice little piece about their new building (which will now be called the Sinclair Broadcast Center). They showed off the new logo which is the same except they changed the 4 out and replaced it with a more generic 4 (without the star). It looks more generic now. They showed off a graphic preview so it's white on blue to be more consistent with the other Sinclair stations. They also gave a set preview. It's Devlin and it looks like a typical design for them. It has a couch on it because that's the only part they showed. It's in the former KABB newsroom space so the ceiling dimensions are a bit low for a TV studio. You could see it in the shots they showed. Will be interesting to see how that translates on TV.

First newscast from the new building, Sunday at 5. Everything else has been there already, like the newsroom, master control, and sales. So the anchors and newscast production are now reunited with everyone else.

I will try to post a video in a few hours unless they post online then I will just put the link up. I will also post a high-quality off air montage first newscast.

EDIT: Last newscasts will be Saturday night. Don Harris and David Robinson ("The Admiral") will help close it out.

SECOND EDIT: Came across this article from MySA talking about their new building. It's a few days old but I just now saw it. MySA is such a joke of a website now I hardly go on there. Jakle is not a great columnist either but at least she has contacts. It features a pic of the new set though. Not impressed.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/entertainment/entertainment_columnists/jeanne_jakle/article/WOAI-anchors-sad-to-exit-downtown-5961351.php

Also WOAI is getting a new morning meteorologist on Monday, Jeannette Calle. I am surprised they hired somebody honestly. I thought Mike Hernandez was going to be permanently on mornings considering he was in promos and everything but I guess not.

http://www.news4sanantonio.com/news/features/top-stories/stories/a-fond-farewell-woai-downtown-studios-18738.shtml

here's the story promised, they basically have reran abbreviated versions of it ever since that newscast at 5 on Friday.

Today's the big day they move, news and weather comes from the new studio. Sports come from downtown for the day. David Robinson and his son will help do the final show from Navarro Street after the football game.

It will be interesting to see what they do with that set they have now. I hope they don't just rip it out and chuck it. I hope they donate to a school or something or even recycle it at a Sinclair sister.

As for the property they're about to vacate, I could see it selling pretty quickly. They're on prime riverfront property, which would be good for a hotel or condo. That building is over 100 years old and it needs to go. I hope people don't put up a fight like they did when KWEX moved to the northwest side last year. It was bad enough where people got arrested because they were trying to stop the bulldozing of the old KWEX building near downtown from getting torn down. They kept the STL tower up to pay homage to the site (I could see why they did it but it's an ugly unnecessary eyesore now).

http://www.sbgi.net/site_mgr/temp/Swaps%20Closing%20Press%20Release.pdf

With the swaps in Providence, Tampa, Green Bay and Colorado Springs, Sinclair actually lost a percentage of reach! (mostly due to getting out of Tampa)

And trading WTTA for WLUK means that Sinclair got the better end of that deal. Now they have the home affiliate for the Packers and in a swing state.

OK, WOAI went live with their new look yesterday. For now I'll just post the open, as recorded off the air. (the only computer my tuner works with is really slow so I will have montages of WOAI and KABB and the other SA stations later this week).

[yt]0Xe4U99kgCs[/yt]

And a bonus, the final live broadcast EVER from their downtown studio, during last night's Sports Sunday. I edited out most of the show so it's only the open and the final segment where they actually close out the building. They did a fantastic job IMO:

[yt]QDcqa6JBQnM[/yt]

EDIT: Had to reupload to fix the problem.

WBFF is in some hot water after being caught selectively editing footage from a protest in DC over police brutality.

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/fox-affiliate-edits-protest-chant-to-sound-like-kill-a-cop/

(In fairness the station did retract the story and apologize after being caught but this is another example of why I never trust anything from this station group)

Some interesting news:

KATU has started using Sinclair's Glass music package, but are still using their Giant Octopus graphics.

Take this how you will, but Sinclair may be generous to some of their stations.

maybe their license to use their old music expired and rather than pay to renew, knowing they'd have to drop it eventually, they probably just took the 615 pkg now. cost-saving issue if anything.

I don't think it's them being generous, I think KATU just doesn't have the production equipment yet to be able to use the new graphics. I'm sure they'll get them eventually.

Some interesting news:

KATU has started using Sinclair's Glass music package, but are still using their Giant Octopus graphics.

I have a feeling that this will happen at WRGB sooner than later given their graphics are new and Sinclair could've held out several more months. The timing of the intros can accomodate Glass just as well as they do Impact.

On the tangent of graphics, how hard would it be to port the WRGB graphics to WPMI? The WOAI/KABB solution would be a tough go there since they still compete with WEAR.

Source?

And I checked WOAI the other day, they only have a 4.1 (NBC) and 4.2 (LWN). I actually live in the market and have seen this with my own eyes.

Apparently WOAI posted it on their website earlier in the week:

http://news4sanantonio.com/news/features/top-stories/stories/antenna-tv-replacing-live-well-network-18817.shtml

Apparently WOAI posted it on their website earlier in the week:

http://news4sanantonio.com/news/features/top-stories/stories/antenna-tv-replacing-live-well-network-18817.shtml

Thanks for your prompt reply. It just frustrates me, people make up crap without backing it up. Like I've seen this talk over and over but only now is it official. Thanks again.

Thanks for your prompt reply. It just frustrates me, people make up crap without backing it up. Like I've seen this talk over and over but only now is it official. Thanks again.

Hey, no problem. The funny thing is I did a Google search for WOAI and Antenna TV fully expecting the only results would be this thread and/or some of the more insane threads in this forum. Finding the truth was as surprising as anything.

Some interesting news:

Here's the open with the new music:

Seems out of place without the Sinclair graphics to go with it. But maybe that's just me.

The likely scenario is that the old music package's license was up for renewal, Sinclair opted not to renew to save $$$, and said to the station, "Here, use the glass package we use on our other stations." The current graphics will likely be in place until technical upgrades are made to the new package, unless the former Fisher stations maintain some independence given the distance from HQ. As far as I know, many functions of the former Fisher stations are still getting services from Seattle for the time being.

With a company like Sinclair, I expect these out-of-sync moves to be the norm as they slowly transform their acquisitions into the fold. And probably the biggest reason of doing things piece by piece and by contract expirations is because it SAVES MONEY.

WABM's "The Zone" is being simulcasted on WJTC-UTV44 in Mobile, since Alabama is playing Ohio State in the Sugar Bowl.

Are any of Sinclair's Ohio stations carrying this show? It's hosted by ABC 33/40's Mike Raita, and has columnists Tim May of the Columbus Dispatch and Kevin Scarbinsky of AL.com (Advance's Alabama newspapers). Since Columbus is a heavy Sinclair market, with stations in Toledo, Cincinnati and Dayton as well, it seems like a natural opportunity to capitalize on this game.

The reporter and photographer behind the WBFF news story in which video from a protest over police brutality was edited and taken out of context have been let go by the station.

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/reporter-and-photog-behind-wbff-kill-a-cop-report-out-at-baltimore-station_b137037

WABM's "The Zone" is being simulcasted on WJTC-UTV44 in Mobile, since Alabama is playing Ohio State in the Sugar Bowl.

Are any of Sinclair's Ohio stations carrying this show? It's hosted by ABC 33/40's Mike Raita, and has columnists Tim May of the Columbus Dispatch and Kevin Scarbinsky of AL.com (Advance's Alabama newspapers). Since Columbus is a heavy Sinclair market, with stations in Toledo, Cincinnati and Dayton as well, it seems like a natural opportunity to capitalize on this game.