Sinclair Broadcast Group - General Discussion

Smitha A

Kai Jackson will be replacing Jeff Barnd for all of Fox 45's, WBFF, afternoon late evening newscasts starting January 19 at 4,5,10 and 11 PM. Kai Jackson will start at WBFF on air beginning January 4 after his non compete expires. Jeff Barnd will become Sinclair's Washington based national correspondent while Jennifer Gilbert will remain co anchor.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/tv/z-on-tv-blog/bal-kai-jackson-wbff-returning-to-baltimore-anchor-at-fox-45-20141201-story.html

(Cross posting to Out and About Thread)

Wow. I had the impression that Kai was going to be the "heir apparent" for Gordon Peterson at WJLA.

I thought that as well. I'm now thinking that Sinclair wants to go with someone familiar to viewers in the market to help them out of the ratings ditch. WJLA only became a Sinclair station in August and I doubt they have had much exposure to Kai.

Sinclair's /KNSV- Cuts Nightly Political Show:

The station was news heavy, but seems like Sinclair gutting alot of shows, and do wonder if Sinclair plan to buy any syndication shows? Days of Our Lives will probably go back at 1pm on 3.

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/its-been-the-best-14-years-of-my-career-ksnv-cuts-nightly-politics-show_b135310

http://www.reviewjournal.com/entertainment/tv/vegas-political-chat-show-ralston-reports-end

Sinclair's /KSNV - Cuts Nightly Political Show:

The station was news heavy, but seems like Sinclair gutting alot of shows, and do wonder if Sinclair plan to buy any syndication shows? Days of Our Lives will probably go back at 1pm on 3.

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/its-been-the-best-14-years-of-my-career-ksnv-cuts-nightly-politics-show_b135310

http://www.reviewjournal.com/entertainment/tv/vegas-political-chat-show-ralston-reports-end

In it's place, a brand new 6:30 p.m. local newscast starting December 15th: https://changingnewscasts.wordpress.com/2014/12/02/ksnv-go-live-630-las-vegas-starting-december-15th/

Wow. I had the impression that Kai was going to be the "heir apparent" for Gordon Peterson at WJLA.

I thought that as well. I'm now thinking that Sinclair wants to go with someone familiar to viewers in the market to help them out of the ratings ditch. WJLA only became a Sinclair station in August and I doubt they have had much exposure to Kai.

Interestingly enough, Kai was co-anchoring today on WJLA's noon news (I assume the morning news as well).

In it's place, a brand new 6:30 p.m. local newscast starting December 15th: https://changingnewscasts.wordpress.com/2014/12/02/ksnv-go-live-630-las-vegas-starting-december-15th/

That screams "placeholder" to me. I personally doubt that S!nclair will follow through on turning KSNV into a de facto all-newser.

When will the former Allbritton stations get the new look? Also, Sinclair would do good by updating some of the sets these stations have. I noticed that on the employment website that WCIV is starting to hire more on-air positions? Could this be in preparation for more news?

More Sinclair subchannel shuffles:

Baltimore (Sinclair's hometown)

WBFF: 45.1 FOX (720p HD), 45.2 MNT (720p HD), 45.3 WxNation (480i SD)

WNUV: 54.1 CW (720p HD), 54.2 GetTV (480i SD), 54.3 Grit (480i SD)

WUTB (spun off): 24.1 ????

ThisTV moved to WMAR 2.2 or WBAL 11.3

San Antonio

WOAI: 4.1 NBC (1080i HD), 4.2 CW (720p HD), 4.3 Antenna TV (480i SD)

KABB: 29.1 FOX (720p HD), 29.2 MundoFOX (720p HD)

KMYS (spun off): 35.1 ????

Nashville

WZTV: 17.1 FOX (720p HD), 17.2 CW (720p HD), 17.3 WxNation (480i SD)

WUXP: 30.1 MNT (720p HD), 30.2 GetTV (480i SD), 30.3 Grit (480i SD)

WNAB (spun off): 58.1 ????

Cincinnati

WKRC: 12.1 CBS (1080i HD), 12.2 CW (720p HD), 12.3 GetTV (480i SD)

WSTR (spun off): 64.1 ????

Sinclair could buy WBQC-LD or WOTH-LD and move MNT there.

Buffalo

WUTV: 29.1 FOX (720p HD), 29.2 MNT (720p HD), 29.3 Grit (480i SD), 29.4 GetTV (480i SD)

WNYO (spun off): 49.1 ????

ZUUS Country: no longer carried

Scranton PA: WQMY goes back to being a satellite of WOLF

WOLF/WQMY: 56.1/53.1 FOX (720p HD), 56.2/53.2 CW (720p HD), 56.3/53.3 MNT (480i SD), 56.4/53.4 MeTV (480i SD)

WSWB (spun off): 38.1 ????

Harrisburg PA

WHP: 21.1 CBS (720p HD), 21.2 CW (720p HD), 21.3 MNT (480i SD), 21.4 Grit (480i SD)

WLYH (spun off): 15.1 ????

Omaha NE

KPTM: 42.1 FOX (720p HD), 42.2 CW (720p HD), 42.3 MNT/ThisTV (480i SD), 42.4 Grit (480i SD)

KXVO (spun off): 15.1 Azteca, 15.2 Estrella

Sioux City IA

KPTH: 44.1 FOX (720p HD), 44.2 CBS (720p HD), 44.3 MNT/ThisTV (480i SD), 44.4 Grit (480i SD)

KMEG (spun off): 14.1 Azteca

Eugene/Coos Bay/Roseburg OR

KVAL/KCBY/KPIC: 13.1/11.1/4.1 CBS (720p HD), 13.2/11.2/4.2 NBC (720p HD), 13.3/11.3/4.3 CW (480i SD), 13.4/11.4/4.4: Grit (480i SD)

KMTR/KMCW/KTCW (spun off): 16.1/23.1/46.1 ????

ThisTV moved to KEZI 9.3 or KEVU 34.3

Florence SC

WPDE: 15.1 ABC (720p HD), 15.2 CW (720p HD), 15.3 CW Plus (480i SD), 15.4 Weather (480i SD)

WWMB (spun off): 21.1 ????

Beaumont TX

KFDM: 6.1 CBS (1080i HD), 6.2 FOX (720p HD), 6.3 Bounce (480i SD), 6.4 Grit (480i SD)

KBTV (spun off): 4.1 ????

Sinclair could buy KIPS-LD and move CW there.

And back to Tallahassee...

WTWC: 40.1 NBC (1080i HD), 40.2 FOX (720p HD), 40.3 GetTV (480i SD), 40.4 MeTV (480i SD)

WTLH (spun off): 49.1 ????

WTLF (spun off): 24.1 ????

ZUUS Country: no longer carried

CW moved to WCTV 6.3 (480i SD)

-- Crossposted from Speculatron 9000

That was put in by some guy who really wants to see Antenna TV on one of WOAI's digital subchannels... Before Live Well announced its closure that article said Antenna TV was on 4.3... (WOAI has never had a 4.3 though)

Disregard it unless we hear official confirmation from them...

More Sinclair subchannel shuffles:Baltimore (Sinclair's hometown)WBFF: 45.1 FOX (720p HD), 45.2 MNT (720p HD), 45.3 WxNation (480i SD)WNUV: 54.1 CW (720p HD), 54.2 GetTV (480i SD), 54.3 Grit (480i SD)WUTB (spun off): 24.1 ????ThisTV moved to WMAR 2.2 or WBAL 11.

None of these channel shuffles have taken place. The only change is WBFF 45.3 Bounce became affiliated with WMAR. ThisTV airs on 45.2.

I take it since you cross posted this in Speculatron that these are your theories.

But it sounds like it's starting to be.

If their plans to turn NewsChannel 8 into a national network - either via cable or subchannels - it would render much of those newscasts blocks redundant and unnecessary.

Timing is everything. KSNV really can't put any other syndicated programming onto that timeslot right now because the TV season is already underway. I betcha by September, S!nclair will plug in their group-purchased syndicated offerings and daytime strips onto KSNV, and move many of the displaced newscasts onto KVCW.

None of these channel shuffles have taken place. The only change is WBFF 45.3 Bounce became affiliated with WMAR. ThisTV airs on 45.2.

I take it since you cross posted this in Speculatron that these are your theories.

Trying not to complain, but I've noticed as of late that cross-posting is happening quite a bit. Isn't it better to pick the best thread for it and just stick it there? Or at least if it's gonna be double posted, change it up a bit so that it's tied more specifically to each thread. And pure speculation (with not even an ounce of fact such as the above) should be kept in speculatron forum. Just my two cents...

When will the former Allbritton stations get the new look? Also, Sinclair would do good by updating some of the sets these stations have. I noticed that on the employment website that WCIV is starting to hire more on-air positions? Could this be in preparation for more news?

WJLA's ticker is now using the same font from the Sinclair package and that goes with their weather graphics as well. Guess it'll be a slow transition but it looks like something is on its way.

Not sure about the other Allbritton stations.

• 2 weeks later...

KABB went to the new look some time around the 7th or 8th. They've reversed the L3s so that they're blue text on a white background, and it wouldn't surprise me if WOAI gets the white-on-blue ones that most (all?) other Sinclair stations have been using.

It looks like WBFF isn't the only Sinclair station to affiliate with WeatherNation TV. KOKH has begun carrying the network on a new 25.3 subchannel. Right now, neither Cox nor any other cable provider in the Oklahoma City market is carrying it.

The local forecast segments differ from other WeatherNation affiliates, as they are simply pre-recorded forecasts using KOKH's weather staff, instead of the "LOT8s"-style segments.

Update: WZTV and WTVC have also added the network. WZTV carries WeatherNation on 17.2 in Nashville, while WTVC carries it on 9.3 in Chattanooga.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/weathernation-tv-three-sinclair-stations-150000874.html

KABB went to the new look some time around the 7th or 8th. They've reversed the L3s so that they're blue text on a white background, and it wouldn't surprise me if WOAI gets the white-on-blue ones that most (all?) other Sinclair stations have been using.

I never really noticed that...

You're right though. I really need to get some video up...

It happened...WTLH 49.1 is simulcasting on WTWC 40.2. Right now 40.2 is in 4:3 480i SD, but I bet they'll upgrade it to 720p HD once WTLH shuts down or is spun off.

http://www.rabbitears.info/market.php?request=station_search&callsign=66908#station

Logo of FOX49 on Facebook no longer mentions WTLH callsign. Maybe it's about time to dump WTLH?

Anyway, FOX49 name will remain, like what they did in WBMA+/WCIV.

Speaking of Fox 29 and NBC 4, is there any update as to when these two stations will finally be moving in together??