Sinclair Broadcast Group - General Discussion

Smitha A

It looks like WHAM and WUHF have also switched to the new graphics package.

Definitely a downgrade from what WHAM had prior. But for the S!nclair pack itself, this is actually an improvement.

The open at least seems complete in comparison to WSYX's.

There's no open up for KFOX but I found a promo posted 4 days ago. The amazing thing, KFOX is still using Scott Chapin.

He's been doing VOs for KFOX since the station launched newscasts in '95, and they still used him during his sabbatical a few years back. Don't think they'll be getting rid of him for a little while...

They're not disclosing any stations, but since Armstrong Williams is involved, I suspect this will air on Sinclair stations:

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/ben-carson-tv-documentary-set-to-air-across-country/

Looks like it'll air as a paid advertisment. To be fair, this doesn't seem like the standard "mandatory" airing like Sinclair does with some of their other political programs.

But I agree, I imagine Sinclair will give Armstrong a good rate to air this documentary on their stations.

Looks like it'll air as a paid advertisment. To be fair, this doesn't seem like the standard "mandatory" airing like Sinclair does with some of their other political programs.

But I agree, I imagine Sinclair will give Armstrong a good rate to air this documentary on their stations.

And, since Carson's technically not a candidate yet, they don't have to file it with the FCC as political advertising.

There IS a list:

http://realbencarson.com/a-breath-of-fresh-air-a-new-prescription-for-america/

Sinclair's LOGO is on the header of this. I do think this is airing in most SBG markets.

I notice immediately it is not airing in Myrtle Beach or on WEYI in Flint (HSH). I'm also not seeing Tampa or Reno.

My guide still lists the 2PM slot as Paid Programming and 2:30PM as Derm Exclusive!

I'm thinking maybe one reason the logo is at the top of the page is that they negotiated directly with Hunt Valley for the programming time and his organization was sent back this list of airings. It's a bit interesting that they are paying all this money to air this "documentary" and they couldn't find a better way to list the air dates and times.

Also I realize he probably negotiated this with Sinclair simply because of the geographic reach but WMAR has been his media parter for his "Carson Scholars Program" as year after year they are the only ones who advertise the scholarship.

Keeping with the Ben Carson theme WJZ is airing promos for their 11PM news on will he or won't he run for president.

My guide still lists the 2PM slot as Paid Programming and 2:30PM as Derm Exclusive!

I'm thinking maybe one reason the logo is at the top of the page is that they negotiated directly with Hunt Valley for the programming time and his organization was sent back this list of airings. It's a bit interesting that they are paying all this money to air this "documentary" and they couldn't find a better way to list the air dates and times.

Also I realize he probably negotiated this with Sinclair simply because of the geographic reach but WMAR has been his media parter for his "Carson Scholars Program" as year after year they are the only ones who advertise the scholarship.

Keeping with the Ben Carson theme WJZ is airing promos for their 11PM news on will he or won't he run for president.

It's listed as "Paid Programming" on KDNL too. With Ring of Honor as the lead in.

According to that list, the station with the best lead in to this is KGAN which has the Chiefs v. Bills game as the lead-in to this Paid Ad.

They're not disclosing any stations, but since Armstrong Williams is involved, I suspect this will air on Sinclair stations:

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/ben-carson-tv-documentary-set-to-air-across-country/

It's a total ego massage for Dr. Carson by David Modell's bestest buddy (and yes, as a Browns fan, I hold that against Armstrong Williams).

I like Ben, but let's face facts. He's no closer to becoming POTUS than you or I, mainly because he has never held an elective office of any sort. This program will really do nothing to change that, and few if any will actually watch it. And S!nclair is doing enough to actively bury the documentary in graveyard shifts; if they ordered a group-wide preemption of primetime programming to clear the program, we'd have a story here. But that isn't the case.

The comments on the Mediaite story are cringe-inducing, mainly because of Dr. Carson's supporters who have decided to overlook the disaster that was Herman Cain's 2012 candidacy.

It's a total ego massage for Dr. Carson by David Modell's bestest buddy (and yes, as a Browns fan, I hold that against Armstrong Williams).

I like Ben, but let's face facts. He's no closer to becoming POTUS than you or I, mainly because he has never held an elective office of any sort. This program will really do nothing to change that, and few if any will actually watch it. And S!nclair is doing enough to actively bury the documentary in graveyard shifts; if they ordered a group-wide preemption of primetime programming to clear the program, we'd have a story here. But that isn't the case.

The comments on the Mediaite story are cringe-inducing, mainly because of Dr. Carson's supporters who have decided to overlook the disaster that was Herman Cain's 2012 candidacy.

I was going to try to stay politically netural about this but I agree with you 100%.

As I said before, most of the lead-in's are junk but the one that did strike me as interesting is in Cedar Rapids on KGAN where the Chiefs v. Bills game is the lead in to this paid program. It also just so happens that Cedar Rapids is in Iowa where the first primary is (even though it's still 14 months away). Coincidence?

(It's also airing in Des Monies and Sioux City but the lead in to those is Fox News Sunday (KDSM) and some other program (KMEG))

I'm sure you know that the Modells no longer own the Ravens.

I don't think Sinclair is even thinking of this as anything other than a standard program buy and if they preempted network air time they would get hell from the network as this isn't a breaking news/sports situation.

I'm sure you know that the Modells no longer own the Ravens.

I'll give you a mulligan because you didn't endure what Clevelanders had to go through with the betrayal Art Modell committed.

After all, Baltimorians got a gift handed right to them, a fully functional football team a decade after the Irsays packed the Colts up in a few Mayflowers and headed to Indianapolis. Clevelanders had to contest the move in court and basically forced the NFL to create an expansion team for Cleveland and for Modell to relinquish the Browns' history and colors. Only the NFL was half-assed about the expansion team, and stuck it to the city (read Terry Pluto's "False Start" as to HOW).

Ask anyone in Cleveland what they think about the Modell family. Art's death was celebrated by a majority of people in town. That's how much people still hold him in utter contempt. They never even tried to return to Cleveland. And the Cleveland media has effectively blackballed Modell from the Pro Football Hall of Fame. One guy even PEED ON HIS GRAVE AND WAS SEEN AS A HERO.

Any venture Armstrong Williams will try in the Cleveland area will fail spectacularly once his ties to the Modells are made known. It's just the way it is. It's a betrayal that will never be forgiven.

Yes, Al Lerner did get off easy for his role in Modell's move of the Browns. But Al was able to win over public opinion as the guy who owned the new incarnation of the team. I didn't agree with that, but that's the way it goes.

KDNL aired the Ben Carson paid ad after Ring of Honor today.

The funny thing is that they ran the disclaimer they usually do for paid advertisements.

Oops.

Well, technically, it would be correct as Armstrong Williams basically paid for the airtime. Curious if any other stations that carried the "documentary" also aired such a disclaimer (if it is their MO to do so).

I actually am surprised that WEYI, being a Stirk station, didn't even carry the program. You'd think that Armstrong would want his own vanity project to air on a station he 'manages.'

Okay, y'all. Remember that New Age deal from last September 2013? As of Halloween, it appears that the applications involved in the deal were DISMISSED.

So that basically means Sinclair bailed out of this deal right? WRONG.

They stated this, as they released their Q3 earnings report last week:

− On November 1, the Company closed on the previously announced purchase of the non-license assets of 8 stations in 3 markets from New Age Media (“New Age”).

So while (technically) the deal is dead, New Age keeps the papers, and Sinclair is now running the show.

Okay, y'all. Remember that New Age deal from last September 2013? As of Halloween, it appears that the applications involved in the deal were DISMISSED.

So that basically means Sinclair bailed out of this deal right? WRONG.

They stated this, as they released their Q3 earnings report last week:

So while (technically) the deal is dead, New Age keeps the papers, and Sinclair is now running the show.

I have a feeling Nexstar will do this with Comcorp because that deal is moving like molasses...

Ring of Honor is growing outside of Sinclair country:

In September, the Company announced that its Ring of Honor wrestling franchise (“ROH”) entered into its first syndication agreement with WATL-TV in Atlanta, GA. Since then, another 4 markets with various companies have been added, as well as COX Sports Television that covers 12 additional markets, including Cleveland, San Diego and New Orleans. In total, ROH’s syndicated deals reach over 3 million TV households and over 4 million cable homes. ROH also entered into a licensing agreement to develop, market and manufacture a line of collectible ROH figures and accessories.