Sinclair Broadcast Group - General Discussion

Smitha A

for lack of a better place to put this. I managed to watch an episode of "The Right Side with Armstrong Williams" this morning and the production values on the show are horrible. The last time I watched Armstrong's show years ago, it was filmed in a dark room with a table, kind of like Charlie Rose's set. Now the show is apparently produced out of WPDE in Myrtle Beach. The intro is the same as when I last watched, but apparently the rest of the graphics are WPDE's news graphics, and the "bug" is the show's logo (looks like it was made in MS Paint). Talk about a horrible clash. The set looks like the same one they use for "Carolina and Company".

The guests interviewed are mainly from around the Myrtle Beach area so they don't really have any relevance to a national audience. Back when his show was filmed in Washington he had semi-decent guests. To the show's credit they tried to make the topic relevant to a national audience (I think they mentioned the police and how their roles is changing with officer violence like in Ferguson, how social media has impacted their job, etc.) but they interviewed a couple deputies from the Horry County Sherrif's Office. Tell me how much of America is going to care.

Also Armstrong doesn't even refer to his show by the proper name. At the end, he thanked us for watching "The Armstrong Williams Show" and that he hopes to see us back next week...

The show has the sloooooowessttt credits sequence ever too. And there's like four names but it took like 30 thirty seconds to get through the credits because they moved so slow.

Overall, a b-rate production.

I imagine they will soon move the production of this show to one of their more progressive stations. WPDE is really in his back yard near Marion County. That's why it is produced there. WPDE has a reputation of low-quality productions, as opposed to, WBTW and WMBF. The only time I remember that WPDE really made an attempt to step-it-up was back in the mid-90s when they first switched from 15 News to NewsChannel 15 with Dave Gilbert at the helm. Since then, their production value has waned; however, they do have some very decent talent.

KFOX relaunched overnight from the new Sinclair facilities on the west side of El Paso with KDBC scheduled to make the switch tomorrow.

The $10 million investment includes a new facility, new sets for each station and the Sinclair graphics package. (I believe the two stations may be using variants.)

The combined operation employs 120, including 45 hired just for KDBC.

Currently KFOX has morning, 5pm and 9pm news. The KDBC new look launches for their 5:30 and 10pm newscasts tomorrow. Currently KDBC airs the network news at 5pm. I expect some change on this front soon, as quite clearly KDBC's news schedule was trimmed back to avoid competing with KTSM, and the setup allows KDBC and KFOX to broadcast live separately.

KDBC also gets a new website. The story about the transition on their old site takes more time to hawk the fact that KTSM keeps meteorologist Robert Bettes in the move, which involves the dissolution of one virtual duopoly and the creation of another. It doesn't even link to the new site.

I'm no fan of Sinclair but this move is a big step up, particularly for KDBC which has really been neglected in recent years.

I've asked KDBC CBS 4's Shelton Dodson exclusively to TVNT via Facebook and asked if there going to adding newscasts on KDBC in the near future, and Tonight I have his response.

"We are starting October 16th with a 5:30 and 10pm newscast, plus a full slate of a weekend newscast too. More weekday newscasts will be added in the very near future. Also, you can forget everything you remember about the old KDBC. CBS 4 News is going to look COMPLETELY different. Keep in touch and give us some feedback. We love to hear what people like and what they think could use some improvement."

- Sheldon Dobson - KDBC CBS 4 News

• 2 weeks later...

This is one of the better openings. If only WOAI or KEYE can get this opening (including the same voiceover)

It's in the works, supposedly we're launching the new graphics in February. That open in particular is great though and I hope we get something similar.

Curves in general is a much better look than Glass, plus it has better music to accompany it.

This is one of the better openings. If only WOAI or KEYE can get this opening (including the same voiceover)

WOAI will likely take it in December when they move to the KABB facility. WOAI master control is now coming out of KABB (I can tell because the in-program bug has shrunk drastically like KABB's and KMYS' are) so the transition seems to be moving along nicely.

KRNV has now adopted the Sinclair graphics package.

I hope KSNV follow suit. I looked at their current gfx, when and why did they mutilate Look F so much? I think they're a rare example of a station I would turn away from solely because of the graphics. That's how bad they are.

I hope KSNV follow suit. I looked at their current gfx, when and why did they mutilate Look F so much? I think they're a rare example of a station I would turn away from solely because of the graphics. That's how bad they are.

KSNV has some really really cheap production values and yet they're always at the top of the ratings.

It looks like WHAM and WUHF have also switched to the new graphics package.

Seems like a step back compared to their previous package.

It looks like WHAM and WUHF have also switched to the new graphics package.

Yeah, they also switched away from John Young to Jeff Laurence. I have their open but it's a bad capture.

I'll retry tomorrow for better captures using my software that doesn't put a watermark on the video because I paid for it...