Sinclair Broadcast Group - General Discussion

Smitha A

I do like the city backdrop for the 7-day forecast. It's a decent package, but they went the cheap route when it comes to animation.

We'll have to see if they introduce it tonight or tomorrow.

As far as the Sinclair template...they really should outsource that.

Why can't they just use wordpress or something? It's easy to make an in-house site that actually looks and works good. In fact, there are individual stations who outsource to local webdesign firms, who do a much better job than what Sinclair is doing. Just look at KTVA.

Can't believe we missed this.

Apparently KRXI has started an in-house newscast in the morning (produced at KRNV?) back in August after they dropped the KTVU simulcast. The name of the newscast is "Mornings on Fox 11" (KTVU fans know what that's a nod to.).

And you guessed it, they're using the new Sinclair package.

http://foxreno.com//news/features/mornings-on-fox-11/stories/boatmans-bargains-92314-302.shtml#.VCJYRPldUYg

Part of me wonders if KRNV will eventually go to the Sinclair package too or if they'll just stay with their Look F package.

I read the press release on that. I found it odd Scott Livingston is the one quoted. So the NDs are hired at a corporate level?

Agreed. And as far as I know, yes, NDs are hired at a corporate level oddly enough. That's Sinclair for you. We'll find out in the coming months if their corporate decision will actually pull KEYE out of the consistent #3 spot it's been at for the lastI don't knowthree/four years?

Hey there, so here's an update from the consolidation at KABB and WOAI. It looks like they are targeting a move in by December at the latest. WOAI's news set, anchors, control room and master control are still downtown. Everything else is now located at KABB's facility. The two now operate from a consolidated newsroom on the second floor where sales used to be. For whatever reason they decided to paint the walls the same colors as the old newsroom downstairs. Why? I don't know. But here's a before and after.

OLD

960x540.jpg

BuAGIThCUAIUxh7.jpg

NEW:

BuDY2cgIMAAx8k7.jpg

(taken from Ted Garcia's twitter)

WOAI OLD NEWSROOM:

randybeamerwoai.jpg

All of the reporters and photogs now work out of this new newsroom. I have yet to see what the assignment desk looks like.

The old newsroom space downstairs has been gutted and is being converted to additional studios (and I assume an additional control room too) You can bet Devlin is doing the set but I have no clue what it looks like. No word on what happens to SA Living and where their studio will be. That's the latest.

I'm cross posting this video seeing as I have not seen anyone post caps/videos of the morning news ticker for the Sinclair graphics package.

[yt]-7LU0j-d7KU[/yt]

(As of this post the video is still cooking).

WBFF is still working out the kinks. They need to add the sponsor image which appears in the white space underneath the logo on the right hand side. They also need to add additional current weather locations - only one is listed and that is Baltimore leaving two empty boxes, I would suggest Washington DC and maybe the Eastern Shore or Annapolis. Apparently their traffic system did not switch over yet as it still uses the old graphics package.

During the evening news underneath the standard ticker there are three weather boxes showing the weather forecast for today and the following two days. They say log on to their website for more weather information. They apparently chose to leave the three day forecast on screen for the rest of the show. It looks very weird considering the image is essentially static. I think they should either go the hyper local weather route or add in sports scores underneath their ticker during evening newscasts.

Over all it appears that this launch was rushed.

I'm cross posting this video seeing as I have not seen anyone post caps/videos of the morning news ticker for the Sinclair graphics package.

[yt]-7LU0j-d7KU[/yt]

(As of this post the video is still cooking).

WBFF is still working out the kinks. They need to add the sponsor image which appears in the white space underneath the logo on the right hand side. They also need to add additional current weather locations - only one is listed and that is Baltimore leaving two empty boxes, I would suggest Washington DC and maybe the Eastern Shore or Annapolis. Apparently their traffic system did not switch over yet as it still uses the old graphics package.

During the evening news underneath the standard ticker there are three weather boxes showing the weather forecast for today and the following two days. They say log on to their website for more weather information. They apparently chose to leave the three day forecast on screen for the rest of the show. It looks very weird considering the image is essentially static. I think they should either go the hyper local weather route or add in sports scores underneath their ticker during evening newscasts.

That bottom ticker seems to be a bit buggy as well, it keeps going up and down as it fiips between the different stuff.

I was able to catch the Saturday morning news from DC. I didn't get to see the open, but thought the look is OK. One thing I didn't like, and would think advertisers wouldn't like either, is the continuous "L box" - where your competitor could be sponsoring the ticker while your ad is on the screen...

J

Over the last several weeks, WCHS and WEAR have moved to the latest website templates. WEAR's was a step up, while WCHS made a giant leap from their ancient site layout. Sister station WVAH upgraded as well, but not WEAR's counterpart, WFGX.

WEAR has yet to upgrade to the new graphics, but I'm thinking it could happen by November. Over in Mobile, WPMI and WJTC are still the same.

I was able to catch the Saturday morning news from DC. I didn't get to see the open, but thought the look is OK. One thing I didn't like, and would think advertisers wouldn't like either, is the continuous "L box" - where your competitor could be sponsoring the ticker while your ad is on the screen...

J

I almost think the new contracts are written in that the advertisements may not fill the full screen and may be run simultaneously with an sponsored L bar / ticker. But from my casual viewing I have not seen any conflicting advertisements.

Locally WBAL and WBFF are the only stations that air their tickers and L bars respectively during commercials. The only difference is that WBAL's isn't normally sponsored - but when there are school closing a local franchised HVAC company sponsors the ticker.

Sinclair has announced that ASN will now begin broadcasting the Western Athletic Conference.

The schools in the conference are:

• California State University, Bakersfield (Bakersfield, CA; Sinclair owns KBAK)
  • Chicago State University (Chicago, IL)
  • Grand Canyon University (Phoenix, AZ)
  • University of Missouri - Kansas City (Kansas City, MO)
  • New Mexico State University (Las Cruces, NM; Sinclair owns KDBC and KFOX)
  • Seattle University (Seattle, WA; Sinclair owns KOMO)
  • University of Texas - Pan American (Edinburg, TX; Sinclair owns KGBT)
  • Utah Valley University (Orem, UT; Sinclair owns KUTV)

Can't believe we missed this.

Apparently KRXI has started an in-house newscast in the morning (produced at KRNV?) back in August after they dropped the KTVU simulcast. The name of the newscast is "Mornings on Fox 11" (KTVU fans know what that's a nod to.).

It's anchored by KRNV talent, so it's definitely produced by/at KRNV's staff/studios. Strange that they decided to start a local morning newscast before a local 10:00pm show—from the looks of it, they're still simulcasting KTVU at 10.

Sinclair has announced that ASN will now begin broadcasting the Western Athletic Conference.

The schools in the conference are:

• Chicago State University (Chicago, IL)

I wonder which Chicago station is going to carry the syndicated ASN package. If I could guess which station that could carry it, it would be WCIU. They would no doubt cram it on "The U Too" subchannel.

The list don't include the Allbritton ones.

Likely that the negotiations with these stations took place while the Allbritton deal was still pending.

I'd be shocked if the Allbritton stations aren't bundled together with an extended affiliation deal in the coming months...

Likely that the negotiations with these stations took place while the Allbritton deal was still pending.

I'd be shocked if the Allbritton stations aren't bundled together with an extended affiliation deal in the coming months...

The affiliation agreements for the Albritton stations run until 2017. Unless the new deal is a lot better than the current deal, I would expect them to keep the status quo.

Probably won't shock anyone but Sinclair renewed their affiliation contracts with ABC until 2020:

http://rbr.com/sinclair-re-ups-with-abc/

Looks like ABC is stuck with KDNL for 5 more years.

Sinclair probably used strong-arm tactics in their negotiations: "we won't re-up our other stations if you don't re-up St. Louis."

Sinclair probably used strong-arm tactics in their negotiations: "we won't re-up our other stations if you don't re-up St. Louis."

I don't know why Sinclair would be so hellbent on keeping the ABC affiliation on KDNL. Do you really think it makes that much money on reruns of Modern Family and Family Feud?

I don't know why Sinclair would be so hellbent on keeping the ABC affiliation on KDNL. Do you really think it makes that much money on reruns of Modern Family and Family Feud?

It's being proven in Indianapolis that a network-affiliated station is worth more than an independent. Why give up something so valuable to one of your competitors who just might do something better with that network affiliation?