KTRK News Director resigns

WXmanTim

Houston media blogger Mike Mcguff reports Dave Strickland is no longer with the ABC O&O.

http://www.mikemcguff.blogspot.com/2014/07/ktrk-abc13-news-director-dave-strickland-resigns.html?m=1

Apparently hasn't been at the station in a few weeks.

Strickland was the longest tenured ND in the market at 14 years.

Wow I read the post, that's one good ND. 14 years + his other affiliations before ND - that speaks a lot for one's loyalty to his own station. Do you know if this could impact the newscast's future for KTRK?

Yes, whoever takes his place will put his mark on their newscasts. I know KTRK is having more ratings trouble of late too.

I'm ready to see some change at Channel 13. It's hard to explain what it is, but the newscast just seems so different than years past. And it's impossible to watch a full newscast without several glitches and malfunctions occurring. And the stupid 6/6:30 experiment needs to be killed immediately, it makes no sense. It's a damn shame when KPRC Local 2 is presenting a more polished news product than any other station in the city but lately that's what it's seemed like. Bob Allen and Wayne Delcifino have each alluded to the fact that something at the station had changed over the last 2-3 years and viewers noticed too as they lost the top spot at 10 PM. The Eyewitness News brand has always been particularly strong and well respected in Houston so whoever they bring in and whatever changes they make must be able to return them to that status.

I'm ready to see some change at Channel 13. It's hard to explain what it is, but the newscast just seems so different than years past. And it's impossible to watch a full newscast without several glitches and malfunctions occurring. And the stupid 6/6:30 experiment needs to be killed immediately, it makes no sense. It's a damn shame when KPRC Local 2 is presenting a more polished news product than any other station in the city but lately that's what it's seemed like. Bob Allen and Wayne Delcifino have each alluded to the fact that something at the station had changed over the last 2-3 years and viewers noticed too as they lost the top spot at 10 PM. The Eyewitness News brand has always been particularly strong and well respected in Houston so whoever they bring in and whatever changes they make must be able to return them to that status.

So what going on with the 6/6:30 experiment that has changed, so much? I know that 6pm news is an hour long, but they lost their sports anchor to KHOU and KTRK has always lead the ratings.

From what I understand, the 6pm hour is like two newscasts, with the 6:30 being a younger, dare I say hipper program with different anchors in contrast to the straightforward first half hour.

So what going on with the 6/6:30 experiment that has changed, so much? I know that 6pm news is an hour long, but they lost their sports anchor to KHOU and KTRK has always lead the ratings.

From what I understand, the 6pm hour is like two newscasts, with the 6:30 being a younger, dare I say hipper program with different anchors in contrast to the straightforward first half hour.

Sums it up just about right. The 6pm half hour is anchored by Dave and Gina and is your traditional newscast, while the second half hour is anchored by Ilona Carson and Erik Barajas. The 6:30 is supposed to cater to younger audiences with the anchors standing up and moving around the studio. It doesn't make much sense because Channel 13 hasn't lost the lead at 6pm. Their only real problem spot is 10pm where for some reason KPRC Channel 2 has caught up and taken the spot for the last few sweeps. Morning, 11am, 4pm, 5pm and 6pm are still on lock. If they shake up anchors I can see weekend morning anchor Samica Knight moving to the weekday program replacing Sharron Melton or at least that's what I'm hoping to see.

Sums it up just about right. The 6pm half hour is anchored by Dave and Gina and is your traditional newscast, while the second half hour is anchored by Ilona Carson and Erik Barajas. The 6:30 is supposed to cater to younger audiences with the anchors standing up and moving around the studio. It doesn't make much sense because Channel 13 hasn't lost the lead at 6pm. Their only real problem spot is 10pm where for some reason KPRC Channel 2 has caught up and taken the spot for the last few sweeps. Morning, 11am, 4pm, 5pm and 6pm are still on lock. If they shake up anchors I can see weekend morning anchor Samica Knight moving to the weekday program replacing Sharron Melton or at least that's what I'm hoping to see.

KTRK seems stale and dare I say dry. They really need an update to their graphics & talent opens. Dave & Gina should continue to anchor the entire 6pm hour. The whole 6:30 newscast needs to be shelved immediately. Get back to basics.

The big question is how long until Dave Ward Retires from 13? And who will be his replacement when he finally decides to step down?

P.S. I agree I definitely can see Samica Knight being promoted to Weekday Morning Anchor. I've never been a fan of Sharron Melton tbh. But who knows if that will ever happen.

I believe Dave signed a new agreement about about a year ago that keeps him through 2016. At that time he stated that he would see what happens when that time comes. I would like to see morning anchor Tom Koch replace Dave if he decides to step down. Tom and Gina have an incredibly chemistry together and they already host most of channel 13's major events like the parades, 4th of July, Madi Gras etc. a move like that would give KTRK a chance to pump life into their biggest problems at the moment: mornings and 10pm. This is all based on if Dave decides to leave so until we hear anything on that front it's just a pipe dream I guess.

In regards to Sharron. I honestly have no clue how she's working as a main anchor for a station in a top 10 market. Her enunciation is painful and she stumbles over every other word. She was tolerable at one point in time because her personality clicked with the rest of the morning crew but lately it's just been bad. They added Patricia Lopez to the morning program as well for whatever reason and it's just a huge mess.

On the part of KPRC. I'm shocked to see them make such a resurgence because their newscast are still so flashy and the presentation is a bit tabloid like. They do have the best set in all of Houston though and Dominique Sasche and Bill Balleza make a much more compatible team than Dave and Gina. I still say KHOU has the best news product in town hands down. Best journalist, best stories and the most polished/professional look but even they're ratings have faltered in the past year, though their newscast have hardly changed.

Houston is an interesting market. I'm excited to see how a new ND shapes Eyewitness News.

Archived