Who Buys CNN?

jmkcool2002

If CNN gets sold, it's going to be to CBS. Rumors of the two combining their divisions have been circulating since the dawn of Mankind, and if CNN has to be divested, CBS is the natural and logical home.

I wouldn't mind Al Jazeera buying CNN, though. I can even see that happening. Combining CNN's assets with those of Al-Jazeera's would create a huge news organization whose size would rival or even surpass the BBC's. Plus, it would allow them to get rid of their biggest stigma - the Al-Jazeera name. AJA and AJE could be converted into CNN-branded channels or merged with CNN's existing services.

If CNN gets sold, it's going to be to CBS. Rumors of the two combining their divisions have been circulating since the dawn of Mankind, and if CNN has to be divested, CBS is the natural and logical home.

I wouldn't mind Al Jazeera buying CNN, though. I can even see that happening. Combining CNN's assets with those of Al-Jazeera's would create a huge news organization whose size would rival or even surpass the BBC's. Plus, it would allow them to get rid of their biggest stigma - the Al-Jazeera name. AJA and AJE could be converted into CNN-branded channels or merged with CNN's existing services.

I'm totally fangirling about the possible CBS-CNN combination... but again...

Also, Speculatron? Speculatron. This goes there.

Well, given what happened on the Daily Show last night, would Viacom work? It would clash a bit with their current properties (most of them are children's or key demographic-oriented networks), but it would add another iconic basic cable network to their roster..

Jon Stewart joked that they could take the channel back to its roots and actually air music videos on it...

Well, given what happened on the Daily Show last night, would Viacom work? It would clash a bit with their current properties (most of them are children's or key demographic-oriented networks), but it would add another iconic basic cable network to their roster..

Jon Stewart joked that they could take the channel back to its roots and actually air music videos on it...

I doubt Viacom would want back into the news business after splitting off from CBS.

A full Al Jazeera-CNN combination would definitely be a powerhouse; I can't argue with Matt there. Sure, they already have a U.S. news operation, but based on its flogging ratings and continued misunderstandings about the brand, it may be worth it to combine with an Al Jazeera-owned CNN. If that fails to work out, I have to second (third?) the potential a CBS/CNN combo has; despite a few gaffes by CBS (60 Minutes and the NSA,) the past three years has seen CBS reorient its news operation in such a way as to earn my respect in the way they are treating their newscasts like actual newscasts instead of (slightly less-fluffy) evening morning shows. I can see CNN doing well under CBS, especially if its current "hard news" stance carries over to CNN.

Nobody has mentioned this, but I think that HLN needs a lot more help than CNN does. While CNN has dropped the ball on news, HLN (previously known as Headline News) dropped the ball, stepped on it, and proceeded to mash it into a fluffy, angry mess. If CNN needs renovation, the wrecking ball should be used on today's HLN.

http://www.letsbuycnn.com (you can't actually place pledges though, it's a parody). Some of the "rewards" are....interesting, to say the least.

Imagine that, CNN purchased from Murdoch through a Kickstarter campaign. I don't know if such an idea is feasible, though.

I'm of the opinion that CBS produces the best news product in all of television. Evening News, 60 Minutes, This Morning, Sunday Morning are all incredible programs. CNN despite all of the criticism is a really great news product as well, those two combining automatically becomes a news dynasty in my eyes. Seems like a CBS-CNN merger has been rumored for years.

I don't think Al-Jazeera is in the mix. Time Warner wouldn't sell to them directly, and Fox surely wouldn't either.

I'm surprised ABC hasn't been mentioned. They've been rumored in the past almost as much as CBS.

While this is speculating somewhat, it is based on fact (Fox trying to purchase TW), so I think it's okay to stay here. Let's stop trying to play thread police and leave that to the moderators.

Why would Al Jazeera buy CNN? And once people find out who owns CNN, they'll turn away. America does not respect a propaganda network like Al Jazeera.

So I think it's okay to stay here. Let's stop trying to play thread police and leave that to the moderators.

For once you said something I agree with. :)

America does not respect a propaganda network like Al Jazeera.

Have you ever seen any of Al-Jazeera America's content? I respect its hard-hitting, non-sensationalized journalism, and minimalist presentation style. It of course has some bias like any other news network, (particularly with regards to Qatar 2022, but even that has improved), but I would argue that Fox News and MSNBC are much closer to a propaganda network than Al Jazeera America is.

Why would Al Jazeera buy CNN? And once people find out who owns CNN, they'll turn away. America does not respect a propaganda network like Al Jazeera.

I will admit that Time Warner wouldn't sell CNN like that to Al Jazeera, no matter what I or other users would prefer. That last sentence though...I respect you sanewsguy, but let's be serious: Al Jazeera is no more a "propaganda network" than CNN or Fox News is. I'm not saying AJ is perfect and bias-free, but it's nothing like what "America" has made it out to be.

Have you ever seen any of Al-Jazeera America's content? I respect its hard-hitting, non-sensationalized journalism, and minimalist presentation style. It of course has some bias like any other news network, (particularly with regards to Qatar 2022, but even that has improved), but I would argue that Fox News and MSNBC are much closer to a propaganda network than Al Jazeera America is.

I will admit that Time Warner wouldn't sell CNN like that to Al Jazeera, no matter what I or other users would prefer. That last sentence though...I respect you sanewsguy, but let's be serious: Al Jazeera is no more a "propaganda network" than CNN or Fox News is. I'm not saying AJ is perfect and bias-free, but it's nothing like what "America" has made it out to be.

I never said I personally believe that, I said America in general does.

I never said I personally believe that, I said America in general does.

What he said, basically, as most people when they even hear the term Al Jazeera still associate the network as being "sympathizers to Al Qaeda and to Middle East terrorism in general", and it's very hard to change that stigma when it's been floated around as such over the last decade by others before AJ even became available to English-speaking audiences.

What happens if CBS or ABC doesn't have enough $$ to buy CNN? Bloomberg is a contender but Mr. Bloomberg has already said he's not interested. I wouldn't be surprised to see a tech entrepreneur buy the network for their own personal benefit. Maybe Bezos combines CNN with WaPo or Slim combines CNN with Ora.tv or Skoll combines CNN with Pivot or Bill Gates combines CNN with his foundation? Or the Pierre guy combines CNN with Glenn Greenwald's crew?

• 2 weeks later...

Who cares who is going to buy them, I want to know who is going to fix them? They never covered the recent water crisis in Toledo, OH. It wasn't even mentioned on the front page of their website the 4 times I checked. What did they cover? Well they followed an ambulance around like the OJ Simpson white bronco chase and labeled it breaking news. I TOTALLY lost respect for them, which is a shame cause I can't stand FOX or MSNBC (for the obvious reasons). They jumped the shark with me.

• 3 weeks later...

One of the few times I watch WGCL, and they lead off their 4pm newscast with some bad news:

Turner/TW could cut 1,500-2,000 jobs at CNN within the next three years as part of their new "Turner 2020" initiative. There are some rumors and murmurs that the Turner Broadcasting presence here in Atlanta could be eliminated, with CNN possibly moving all of its operations to LA and NYC (Domestic is already a NYC-only operation, with only master control remaining at CNN Center). For now, any talk of moving is just a rumor, but it is quite ominous. I don't know what would happen with WPCH, but I suspect that it would be divested to either Meredith (most likely; they already operate the station) or CBS (much less likely).

If that happens, it would truly be a shame for this city, and would leave a gaping hole in our legacy that would be difficult to fill.

WGCL doesn't have an article up yet, but I found one on the AJC's AccessAtlanta site.

I highly doubt and really hope Turner doesn't shut down the CNN Center in Atlanta. I think we've seen the last of all movement of shows in the CNN Center. The only thing left would be Fredricka Whitfield's show. Even if that show is moved, CNN Center would still have: Turner Sports, CNNEE, CNNI, NBA TV and they could rent out CNN and HLN's studios to various other networks or online outlets who want to set up studios in the Atlanta area just like Harpo Studios is doing with Campus Insiders/120 Sports.

CNN Center is right across the street from CFB Hall of Fame in Atlanta so I wouldn't be surprised if a new college football website or new sports TV network or an existing sports network set up their studios in CNN's old base as long as the network wasn't a direct competitor of Turner's. Maybe Bleacher Report even expands it's video operations to Atlanta?

Archived