KFMB getting a new set

A3N

After 7 1/2 years, KFMB is retiring its current set which made it's debut (and the debut of HD news) back in January 2007. The set has aged fairly well, it was refreshed with new duratrans, some new monitors and updated branding last year. No word on when the new set will make its debut or what it will look like. I'll post updates as new info comes out.

Here are some pics of the temporary setup:

capture_20140719_175644_zps6fa3b91c.jpg

capture_20140719_173812_zpsc01fe65a.jpg

capture_20140719_175334_zps5f1e0d86.jpg

The desk looks like the one they used for election coverage last month. Not sure why they did not use the regular desk as part of temp set, unless it had to do because of space. I'm just hoping that the new set is modern looking and more spacious than the one it is replacing.

The desk looks like the one they used for election coverage last month. Not sure why they did not use the regular desk as part of temp set, unless it had to do because of space. I'm just hoping that the new set is modern looking and more spacious than the one it is replacing.

I agree. Something the size of that Devlin set from the 90's they used to have. I loved that set. Also, I hope a news room remodel is in the works. Their newsroom is beyond its last leg. It would be a shame to have to anchors in a nice new set to then toss to a reporter in the old, worn news room.

I agree. Something the size of that Devlin set from the 90's they used to have. I loved that set. Also, I hope a news room remodel is in the works. Their newsroom is beyond its last leg. It would be a shame to have to anchors in a nice new set to then toss to a reporter in the old, worn news room.

They did remodel the newsroom, somewhat... they added a new 70 inch flat screen tv to use for standups :rofl!: But yeah, I agree. That newsroom looks dated, heck it looks exactly the same as it did in 1998, with old CRT monitors included! I'm sure that BDI will do this new set, seeing as they did the previous set and the election desk looks like a BDI job. Something like KCNC's set (which BDI did) would look nice at KFMB.

I can see them with a set similar to KCNC. LOL, I am also still rooting for the KSL set. But the KCNC is more likely since KFMB has been moving more toward their CBS roots.

• 2 weeks later...

Nichelle posted a pic of her and Alicia (on Instagram) rehearsing on the new set. No sneak peeks were given, but can't wait to see what the new set looks like.

Well, from one of the pics, it looks like they kept the wooden floor and the interview area, and i'm pretty sure the rear projection screen as well. Let's see what happens at 5.

The new set looks very nice. It has nice, modern feel to it. There are 2 stand up areas, one on each side of the studio. On the left is the main stand up area with 3 monitors positioned side by side, on the right, there is one monitor to be used during weather. Weather was done from the green screen during the first hit, so the monitor is an additional tool/space to use. A majority of the set was recycled- somewhat. The walls of the set were re-configured and some re-painted to match the new set. The monitors behind the anchors looks to be those thin bezel screens (arranged in a 3x2 format), the monitors are larger in size than KGTV's. Overall, a nice set, much needed.

Link to the TVNT album where pics of the new set were posted:

http://forums.tvnewstalk.net/index.php?/gallery/album/64-kfmb-tv-san-diego/

capture_20140806_173418_zpsa0071a70.jpg

So it was more like a large refresh rather than a new set.

I guess you can say that. They did a refresh on the old set just last year, so they used quite a bit of those pieces. Also, the wooden flooring was left over as well.

Archived