WCAU - Assessing The Changes

Jess

I think the odds of John Fascenda rejoining the team are better than Mendte returning to Philadelphia TV.

First off, there is no way Larry Mendte would join a station in anything other than a lead anchor role or something that features him prominently. The morning proposal would have him as third-string anchor. There's no way he'd be comfortable with that. Especially when he'd be junior to someone half his age.

Second, I don't think his style is really compatible with what 10 is doing these days. He's really flashy and showy, and 10 emphasizes harder, more substantial news these days.

Third, I think you have to admit that at this point, Mendte (as well as Alycia Lane) are pretty much toxic talent in this town. He has baggage and he's always been polarizing (for the record, I think he's a good ANCHOR, not a good PERSON).

I do think 10's morning newscast could use a little life. You get the sense on 3, 6, and 29 that these people like being around each other. 10, not so much. The anchor most suited for the daypart, Keith Jones, was promoted to 5pm and is obviously clicking with Jacqueline London. I'd think someone like Rosemary Connors or George Spencer would be a good idea, but they're also the station's best reporters.

Thanks for the explanation Matt. Didn't know there was much more than beyond what was out there already. As for the morning, do you think they would eventually transfer Vai to CSN Philly, move Cato back to evenings, and look to hire from the outside to get things going on the show? Honestly, it's a major and very noticeable difference between them the other stations in town.

I can't see a reasonable place for Vai to go at this point. John pretty much earned that nightly sports anchor post (even if he had to switch networks to do so), and CSN Philly has a LOT of talent over there.

I'd like to see Cato back with Denise at this point. Whether you move him back to weekend evenings or take a gamble and pair them in mornings, I don't know, but they did work well together.

I can't see a reasonable place for Vai to go at this point. John pretty much earned that nightly sports anchor post (even if he had to switch networks to do so), and CSN Philly has a LOT of talent over there.

I'd like to see Cato back with Denise at this point. Whether you move him back to weekend evenings or take a gamble and pair them in mornings, I don't know, but they did work well together.

I'd like to see Cato back on weekends and see him used more as a sub on weekdays like Denise is. I'd also like to see subs at 6/11 when one anchor is off.

I think the odds of John Fascenda rejoining the team are better than Mendte returning to Philadelphia TV.

First off, there is no way Larry Mendte would join a station in anything other than a lead anchor role or something that features him prominently. The morning proposal would have him as third-string anchor. There's no way he'd be comfortable with that. Especially when he'd be junior to someone half his age.

Not to hijack this thread, but I was thinking things are so bad for CBS3, that it might be worth it to them to bring back Mendte. Probably could get him dirt cheap...compared to before.

Not to hijack this thread, but I was thinking things are so bad for CBS3, that it might be worth it to them to bring back Mendte. Probably could get him dirt cheap...compared to before.

The same management that was there when he got fired is still there. So I definitely don't even think that's a thought for them.

Archived