Janice Huff & Chris Cimino's contracts not renewed?

JoseRM303

I would say that would be the final straw for me watching WNBC. I have accepted all of the bone headed changes they made in the past, however Janice and Chris are consummate professionals. If you compare their delivery of the forecast to any other station there are no similarities. I have been watching TINY since Joe Witte was the meteorologist, and when Chris came the whole game changed. He has outlasted the entire team several times over. Why? Because he is a professional who delivers a product worth watching. In addition, his dry humor is the right amount for an early morning show.

Should WNBC execute this plan it would be a significant mistake. Experience and familiarity with the viewer is not a bad thing; it is what keeps me watching every morning and at 11pm.

Whether this happens or not, what the hell is with the NBC stations, particularly in New York, LA, and (not so much now) Philadelphia? Don't any of these bosses realize that stability matters if they want to make gains on the competing ABC stations?

OMG, I hope it's not true either. They are both my favorite, plus they easily out class any other meteorologist on the other stations.

What about the final sentence about more anchor changes are expected as well? The last time I heard, WNBC is a solid second in ratings. Why make drastic changes now?

Whether this happens or not, what the hell is with the NBC stations, particularly in New York, LA, and (not so much now) Philadelphia? Don't any of these bosses realize that stability matters if they want to make gains on the competing ABC stations?

WCAU's kept their on air talent more or less intact since the dark ages of '06-'08 GE budget cuts with a few key additions and subtractions that no one would bat an eye to. I think they've been the model station of the group if anything as far as stability goes.

WCAU's kept their on air talent more or less intact since the dark ages of '06-'08 GE budget cuts with a few key additions and subtractions that no one would bat an eye to. I think they've been the model station of the group if anything as far as stability goes.

Talking anchors, since 2008:

Out: Vince Dementri, Lori Delgado, Lori Wilson, Stacey Weaver, Terry Ruggles, Tim Lake, Dawn Timmeney

In: Keith Jones, Jim Rosenfield, Jacqueline London, Rosemary Connors, Chris Cato

Shuffled (most of which were demotions): Denise Nakano, Renee Chenault-Fattah, Keith Jones, Tracy Davidson, Vai Sikahema, Glenn Shwartz

I wouldn't exactly say stable.

Points to them for owning up to it. Way too many of these bloggers claim their sources to be the second coming, and look like total morons when the info blows up. Then they try to skirt around the error, trying not to lose a single reader.

Points to them for owning up to it. Way too many of these bloggers claim their sources to be the second coming, and look like total morons when the info blows up. Then they try to skirt around the error, trying not to lose a single reader.

hence those reasons why "bloggers" are just that, BLOGGERS! Those such as the one above aren't that special to me. Thus some of us readers feel a sense of satisfaction when they get kicked two notches or three. They're not exactly TMZ if ever (in terms of 1st to report and validate: i.e; Michael Jackson's death) but they could only become "that lucky" when confirming a true source they have on developing stories once a while.

Newsblues.com Headlines 7.16.2014

CLEARING SPACE FOR AMHQ

huff_j.jpgWe are hearing reports that Janice Huff, the chief meteorologist at WNBC-4 and one of New York's most recognizable TV personalities, may soon leave the station. She's been with WNBCsince 1995.

"Early retirement" is what it's being called, we are told. In fact, her contract simply won't be renewed. Huff isn't alone.

cimino_c.jpgWe're also hearing that morning meteorologist Chris Cimino is being edged toward the door. He, too, has been with WNBC since 1995, hired the same month as Huff.

Sources tell NewsBlues that Comcast bosses in Philly are tightening budget belts and "making room for AMHQ talent" from Comcast-owned sister The Weather Channel.

Does that mean Sammy Champion may be returning to Manhattan?

Talking anchors, since 2008:

Out: Vince Dementri, Lori Delgado, Lori Wilson, Stacey Weaver, Terry Ruggles, Tim Lake, Dawn Timmeney

The first two left due to their own disciplinary doing (and Delgado got out of the business completely). Wilson left to anchor in her hometown (again not a management move) Stacey Stauffer and Dawn Timmeney were both let go but I think management upgraded them in both cases (see below). Tim Lake's act as lead anchor got stale 4 years before they let him go. They had to move him just for the sake of refreshing the station.

In: Keith Jones, Jim Rosenfield, Jacqueline London, Rosemary Connors, Chris Cato

All great additions to the station since they've arrived. I really could care less what people in Chicago and NY have to say about Jim Rosenfield but I really like him as the station's lead anchor.

Shuffled (most of which were demotions): Denise Nakano, Renee Chenault-Fattah, Keith Jones, Tracy Davidson, Vai Sikahema, Glenn Shwartz

Denise has had the same shift for 10 years now. Dunno what you're talking about.

I have no real solid info about this but I wouldn't be surprised if Renee and Glenn's timeslot changes (they only were moved from 11PM to 11AM and they both keep their two slots at 4 and 6) were asked for by them. I could see personal life wanting them both to work earlier shifts.

All that said you can't just stomp around and say management doesn't know what they're doing cause talent moved around (or left). You just sound silly.

The first two left due to their own disciplinary doing (and Delgado got out of the business completely). Wilson left to anchor in her hometown (again not a management move) Stacey Stauffer and Dawn Timmeney were both let go but I think management upgraded them in both cases (see below). Tim Lake's act as lead anchor got stale 4 years before they let him go. They had to move him just for the sake of refreshing the station.

All great additions to the station since they've arrived. I really could care less what people in Chicago and NY have to say about Jim Rosenfield but I really like him as the station's lead anchor.

Denise has had the same shift for 10 years now. Dunno what you're talking about.

I have no real solid info about this but I wouldn't be surprised if Renee and Glenn's timeslot changes (they only were moved from 11PM to 11AM and they both keep their two slots at 4 and 6) were asked for by them. I could see personal life wanting them both to work earlier shifts.

All that said you can't just stomp around and say management doesn't know what they're doing cause talent moved around (or left). You just sound silly.

No disagreement.

-For those that left, I'm aware of why they left.

-For those that were added, I agree they were all great additions.

-As for Denise, if I recall correctly, she was moved to weekdays for a short period, anchoring mornings briefly, and also anchored the 10pm new on PHL 17 (with Vince and alone). She also began as a weekend morning anchor I believe.

-You're probably right about Renee and Glen (an aside, although they are ok as is, it'd be nice if they added Keith to co-anchor, I feel he is underutilized.).

I am not stomping around. I never said management doesn't know what they're doing. I wasn't intending to sound silly. I was responding to your comment that the on-air talent has more or less stayed intact since 2008 and that they were a model for stability. It hasn't stayed intact (see my prior post for comings and goings), and obviously the changes were made to better their product. I know that! Channel 6 is a model for stability (different station group). Even within the NBC Station Group, I would argue WRC is the model for stability.

And as a Chicagoan, I have nothing against Jim Rosenfield. Chicago wasn't going to give him the opportunity he deserved, and the Big Apple came calling. Nobody blames him for that (if they even remember him by now). He deserves all the success. He's a damn good anchor.

No disagreement.

-For those that left, I'm aware of why they left.

-For those that were added, I agree they were all great additions.

-As for Denise, if I recall correctly, she was moved to weekdays for a short period, anchoring mornings briefly, and also anchored the 10pm new on PHL 17 (with Vince and alone). She also began as a weekend morning anchor I believe.

-You're probably right about Renee and Glen (an aside, although they are ok as is, it'd be nice if they added Keith to co-anchor, I feel he is underutilized.).

I am not stomping around. I never said management doesn't know what they're doing. I wasn't intending to sound silly. I was responding to your comment that the on-air talent has more or less stayed intact since 2008 and that they were a model for stability. It hasn't stayed intact (see my prior post for comings and goings), and obviously the changes were made to better their product. I know that! Channel 6 is a model for stability (different station group). Even within the NBC Station Group, I would argue WRC is the model for stability.

What I was saying was they have very strong base of familiar faces to say that they've been stable more or less unlike KYW who is a mere shell of itself these days.

WRC and WPVI are shops that are in the unique position of it ain't broke don't fix it and they have ratings that support that.

And as a Chicagoan, I have nothing against Jim Rosenfield. Chicago wasn't going to give him the opportunity he deserved, and the Big Apple came calling. Nobody blames him for that (if they even remember him by now). He deserves all the success. He's a damn good anchor.

There's been some Jim Rosenfield bashing around here in the past that I never got. He's been really been great here.

This story seems too sketchy to me especially since FTVLive.com has said already that they were wrong about Janice...In my opinion getting rid of them makes no sense...with ratings improving in the mornings and evenings that would be just stupid...Id rather have experienced familiar faces telling me the weather than some disposable ex beauty Pageant winner with no weather credentials and fake boobs.

FTVlive corrected the article about Janet Huff, but still states Chris Cimino is being shown the door and that WNBC is hiring a new meteorologist. If Chris Cimino is really being let go that sucks I rather enjoy the TINY team and think they all do a great job.

This is from Michael Gargulios twitter from Wed. when this story's was first posted... ".@FTVLive Your story isn't "updated " it was wrong and should be headlined that way. You should apologize to both of the people mentioned." So I guess this confirms that this story is totally false, which is great news because they are as valuable as any meteorologists at nbc if not more. And if they really are looking to hire a new meteorologist, it's probably a weather producer or someone behind the scenes.

This is from Michael Gargulios twitter from Wed. when this story's was first posted... ".@FTVLive Your story isn't "updated " it was wrong and should be headlined that way. You should apologize to both of the people mentioned." So I guess this confirms that this story is totally false, which is great news because they are as valuable as any meteorologists at nbc if not more. And if they really are looking to hire a new meteorologist, it's probably a weather producer or someone behind the scenes.

#SorrynotSorry but This must be said...BURN, BITCHES, BURN!!! LOL

• 1 month later...

Archived