WLNY launching weekend evening newscasts

JoseRM303

YES! I've been waiting for this! Let's hope they launch a 4PM newscast on 'LNY next.

Either that, or a 3pm newscast would also be great. Alice and Dick should anchor that newscast as well (or how about this, why doesn't Maurice and Kristine and Alice and Dick swap a newscast? Like, Alice and Dick would do the 5pm and 9pm and Maurice and Kristine would do the 3pm or 4pm and 11pm.) However, WCBS's 5pm newscast has been doing well recently, so I don't think a change is really necessary. It's just that...well...Alice and Dick are a fantastic team (better than Kristine and Maurice in my view), and really need a slot on WCBS. And honestly, I don't really see any slot that's open for them.

YES! I've been waiting for this! Let's hope they launch a 4PM newscast on 'LNY next.

it looks like its taking the same amount of time when Disney bought KCAL 25 years ago. I think they added non prime newscasts at least a couple years after acquiring KHJ. I think it was mostly to test the waters to see if it would work out. NYC never had a KCAL like station, so I guess it wouldn't be surprising its taking CBS a long time to develop it.

I am hoping WLNY will expand with news blocks like KCAL, I think daytime would suit NYC than say having 3 hours at night (unless if it's a breaking news event.)

WLNY News at 9pm Weekend Edition apparently ends at 9:40, and then Steve Overmeyer does a "WLNY Sports Update" at 9:45 (this being a special show). The show has special graphics (lower thirds) as well. It seems like a complete rip-off of the PIX11 Sports Desk to me.

I am hoping WLNY will expand with news blocks like KCAL, I think daytime would suit NYC than say having 3 hours at night (unless if it's a breaking news event.)

Suit NYC??? How about "suit Long Island"??? Shouldn't CBS be producing content for this station that is Long Island-centric, seeing as the station is licensed to Riverhead, Long Island? Especially since, prior to the CBS purchase, WLNY-TV used to focus it's newscasts on the communities upon the island? Despite what the CBS suits think, there are more news stories to cover there besides Billy Joel building new drive-thrus.

WLNY News at 9pm Weekend Edition apparently ends at 9:40, and then Steve Overmeyer does a "WLNY Sports Update" at 9:45 (this being a special show). The show has special graphics (lower thirds) as well. It seems like a complete rip-off of the PIX11 Sports Desk to me.

Again. A Steve Overmeyer "WLNY Sports Update" is NOT Long Island-centric. CBS, apparently with the blessings of the misguided FCC, is completely disregarding the real fact that this station is licensed and intended to serve communities which geographically are outside the borders of New York City. In fact, about the only person who might be cheering this willful snub to Long Island is the septuagenarian senator from Arizona.

A complete rip-off? Sure. But then, in this present media environment, is that any reason not to put it on-air? :drool:

Suit NYC??? How about "suit Long Island"??? Shouldn't CBS be producing content for this station that is Long Island-centric, seeing as the station is licensed to Riverhead, Long Island? Especially since, prior to the CBS purchase, WLNY-TV used to focus it's newscasts on the communities upon the island? Despite what the CBS suits think, there are more news stories to cover there besides Billy Joel building new drive-thrus.

Disregard the original post, I totally misread the post. I thought you were complaining about the LI focus. I don't know how I thought of that.

Archived