Diane Sawyer stepping down, Muir in

TheRob

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember when someone made an April Fool's joke in the Shout Box about Muir taking over...little did we know this is actually happening, and sooner than later.

I'll still be rooting for Scott and CBS, hoping maybe they'll get to #2!

I remember when someone made an April Fool's joke in the Shout Box about Muir taking over...little did we know this is actually happening, and sooner than later.

I'll still be rooting for Scott and CBS, hoping maybe they'll get to #2!

And that April Fools prank worked because it wasn't out of the realm of possibility, as proven today.

Think about this: Scores of female viewers will be very torn between David Muir, Brian Williams, and Scott Pelley! All of them are very good-looking but which one will be attracting the most audience?

I know I am one of the only ones on here, but I LOVE Diane.

Glad It's David and not George though.

Based on the announcement, it sounds like Diane is essentially replacing Barbra Walters.... (Minus The View)

Although I'm afraid to admit it sometimes, I kind of enjoy Diane when she anchors. Under her regime, the newscast had much more of a "light" feel, but still covered all of the other major stories in depth. Honestly, I think of David Muir as Diane's "son" if you will. However, he always seemed to have a more serious approach than Diane. I think the reason why ABC News is doing so well is that they are doing more stories that connect to their demographic. In contrast, for instance, CBS, is more focused on business stories and international concerns (but i'm not saying they shouldn't be).

Also, ABC and CBS should really swap titles. ABC is definitely more national news, and CBS is more World News. I know the name "good evening america" has been brought up a bunch of times.

However, I still can't get over Diane's election coverage a few years ago from when she was "drunk". That was downright painful to watch.

Diane and David talked about the news at the end WN tonight. It went really well.

They have such a great relationship.

Honestly, I think of David Muir as Diane's "son" if you will.

I completely agree.

Also, ABC and CBS should really swap titles. ABC is definitely more national news, and CBS is more World News. I know the name "good evening america" has been brought up a bunch of times.

I get what you are saying. And yes, CBS is more World News but this will never happen and it is a terrible business idea. World News is known to everyone, and whether they truly broadcast world news or not, it would hurt them way more than it would help them.

They have such a great relationship.

I completely agree.

I get what you are saying. And yes, CBS is more World News but this will never happen and it is a terrible business idea. World News is known to everyone, and whether they truly broadcast world news or not, it would hurt them way more than it would help them.

Oh, that's not really what I meant. I was just saying in an ideal world, ABC World News should be named ABC Evening News, since the majority of their content is not "world news". But I agree with you, I don't think they should actually swap names, as it is known to everyone.

Here is Diane's announcement, tonight on World News. http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/diane-sawyer-news-world-news-anchor-role-abc-24308336

Oh, that's not really what I meant. I was just saying in an ideal world, ABC World News should be named ABC Evening News, since the majority of their content is not "world news". But I agree with you, I don't think they should actually swap names, as it is known to everyone.

Then yes, I agree, in an ideal world, it would be the ABC Evening News.

So I'm trying to wrap my head around this... David Muir gets the chair, but Stephy is the one who pops up during breaking news. It definitely tells you where the emphasis is at ABC, and it ain't on ABC News Tonight.

I still wish that instead of doing that Vargas/Woodruff stunt, they just gave the chair to Woodruff. Then he wouldn't have been in Iraq and he wouldn't have gotten hit. He definitely seemed to be the natural successor to Peter.

Then yes, I agree, in an ideal world, it would be the ABC Evening News.

And in a more ideal world the CBS Evening News would be named CBS World News (Tonight optional), because that newscast is more international than ABC on a daily basis.

Ya know, the more and more I hear the description of George's role, the more I'm doubting the breaking news or special report aspect of it. I really think when they refer to 'live events', they specifically mean elections, inaugurations, funerals, and the other large-scale ceremonies that require a network presence abroad...and really anything political. If I were to guess, George will continue to anchor special reports well into the midday hours, but Muir will do just as much for events occurring later in the day. I can't wait to hear the racial uproar echoing the first time they sit at the desk together.

My big question is this: is George David's primary sub, and who fills in for George? I wonder if this is when we start seeing Lara in a more prominent news role.

Ya know, the more and more I hear the description of George's role, the more I'm doubting the breaking news or special report aspect of it. I really think when they refer to 'live events', they specifically mean elections, inaugurations, funerals, and the other large-scale ceremonies that require a network presence abroad...and really anything political. If I were to guess, George will continue to anchor special reports well into the midday hours, but Muir will do just as much for events occurring later in the day. I can't wait to hear the racial uproar echoing the first time they sit at the desk together.

My big question is this: is George David's primary sub, and who fills in for George? I wonder if this is when we start seeing Lara in a more prominent news role.

Racial uproar? Maybe. Gender uproar? Definitely. When was the last time you saw two men sitting at a news desk together?

ABC is surely cognizant of that and I imagine we won't see them seated together very much. If they need to appear together, my guess is one will be at the desk, the other will be on location, and they'll do a split screen shot.

I really can't imagine George would do GMA, This Week, fulfill "Chief Anchor responsibilities," and be David's primary sub. I would assume whoever replaces David on WN Weekend will be his primary fill-in.

Racial uproar? Maybe. Gender uproar? Definitely. When was the last time you saw two men sitting at a news desk together?

ABC is surely cognizant of that and I imagine we won't see them seated together very much. If they need to appear together, my guess is one will be at the desk, the other will be on location, and they'll do a split screen shot.

I meant to mention gender, as well. I've been awake too long.

I interpreted "Chief Anchor" to be Wolf Blitzer's role at CNN. (if we want to use better anchors, and dear god I do, this was Aaron Brown and Bernard Shaw's role in the past.) Anything major that happens, he'll be at the desk and Muir will likely be on site.

At any rate, I'm certain there's going to be a fair amount of gray area in their defined role. Frankly, I'm shocked that this is kinda the scenario I came up with months ago, where both gentlemen receive promotions, and they serve as almost equals. The only major difference is that I had George on 'World News' and David in a beefed up anchor role.

George is certainly the politics guy. He will spearhead election night coverage and will likely get the big political interviews. In terms of election night itself, I don't expect a change from Election Night 2012 except instead of Diane, it will be David. David will anchor WN solo with a report from George, then David and George anchor together Election Night Special Coverage.

In the end of the day, I don't think we are actually going to see much change in terms of what the roles are. David is going to take over for Diane and George will cover breaking news during the morning and day.

In the end of the day, David got the promotion and George got a fancy new title to make him feel good.

You bring up some good points. And just to add my opinion to it, I get the feeling that Lead Anchor is going to be more of a title for George and less meaningful for ABC News. And I noticed a lot, they mention breaking news but like you say, they really keep mentioning "live events." And I expect these are political events and ceremonies more than events like The Royal Baby.

I interpreted "Chief Anchor" to be Wolf Blitzer's role at CNN. (if we want to use better anchors, and dear god I do, this was Aaron Brown and Bernard Shaw's role in the past.) Anything major that happens, he'll be at the desk and Muir will likely be on site.

Who are you? Some new guy coming in here like you've been here for years? ;) [Kidding of course]

I think ABC is really putting all the right people in the right places with this move. While I was not a fan of the content on World News under Diane's leadership, she was a great anchor and defined the broadcast with her own tone. The new position she is in -- basically the new Barabra Walters of ABC News -- is the perfect next step and just seems very natural for her given her background.

Splitting the evening anchor and chief anchor position in two is a smart acknowledgement of what the network news anchor role has become these days and, again, is the best way to use the strenghts of talent. George is vital to the GMA, which funds a large chunk of the news division, and the best person you can have in front the camera for big political stories and for guiding the nation through breaking news. David has seamlessly filled in for Diane so many times now that, to the average viewer, the broadcast seems to be owend by both Diane and David and there is no difference in watching the weekday or weekend versions.

Here is a great column about the change: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/06/26/carving-up-diane-sawyers-job-anchoring-aint-what-it-used-to-be/

No one should be confused about how this will work because this plan is being implemented as of now. Whenever breaking news happens, George is always the person in the studio hosting coverage while Brian Williams and Scott Pelley represent their respective networks. David Muir is usually in the field covering the story because he's a better on the field reporter than George and if there is an instance where Brian and Scott are in the field, they'll most likely be joined by David.

George will probably never anchor another episode of WNT again unless ABC decides to give him a rare substitute opportunity while David will be solely in charge of WNT which will no longer be the flagship newscast of ABC News. It makes sense to put George and David in their respective places because those are their strengths.

I don't think this is the end of David Muir anchoring breaking news updates either. It all depends on logistics. If the story is breaking while David is in the building but George happens to be off or too far away to get on air at the moment, David will most likely be placed at the helm until George can make his way in. If the breaking story isn't that major, it's also likely that they would just let David lead coverage throughout it's duration.

CNN has the exact same arrangement with Anderson Cooper and Wolf Blitzer. Blitzer is usually the main anchor brought in to cover a breaking news story since he's the chief anchor but if logistics have it that Cooper is easier to get a hold of at the moment then they'll let Cooper take over the story throughout it's duration.

It may not seem like it because the evening news shows have usually been the precedent for who the leader of a news organization is, but George wins in this deal just as much as David. If it's still confusing, the easiest way to think about it is that David is ONLY in charge of WNT while George is in charge of GMA, This Week, as well as any other news which warrants breaking into regular ABC programming (unless he happens to be logistically unavailable).

By anchoring WNT, David builds viewer confidence to eventually take over as chief anchor and the transition from David to George is 5-7 years will be seamless. ABC did the same thing with Peter Jennings/Frank Reynolds. Eventually, Muir will be able to overtake NBC/CBS when Pelley and Williams leave because he's had a head start/experience.

Archived