Breaking: Cox/Fox swap stations, KTVU to become Fox O&O

caliwxdude

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a quick laugh as Rich Lieberman is once again ridiculously slow on the uptake.

The clincher of course being his moronic lead sentence.

Rich, that question was answered the second the deal was announced!

1195760_o.gif

He really is slow on the uptake with that one. I've noticed that KTVU's show promos are already switching back and forth between "KTVU Fox 2" and "Fox 2". Looks like they're working quick to phase out the "KTVU" part of the brand.

https://archive.org/details/KTVU_20141010_190000_KTVU_Noon_News#start/1620/end/1680

https://archive.org/details/KTVU_20141011_000000_News_at_5pm#start/1560/end/1620

He really is slow on the uptake with that one. I've noticed that KTVU's show promos are already switching back and forth between "KTVU Fox 2" and "Fox 2". Looks like they're working quick to phase out the "KTVU" part of the brand.

They've been doing that since before the Fox sale.

Also, the impending logo looks almost exactly like one of the mockups that people have posted on here. The laser 2 is cut out of the circle, put into a Fox box, and with KTVU beneath it instead of where most O&Os put the city name.

Question: is KTVU now the only Fox O&O that's the market leader in its market? I'm going through the list in my head and I can't think of a single Fox O&O (and very few Fox affiliates) that are decisively and consistently #1 in the ratings. Is there another? If not, then it should be interesting, if somewhat heart-wrenching, to see how KTVU fares under Fox ownership.

Question: is KTVU now the only Fox O&O that's the market leader in its market? I'm going through the list in my head and I can't think of a single Fox O&O (and very few Fox affiliates) that are decisively and consistently #1 in the ratings. Is there another? If not, then it should be interesting, if somewhat heart-wrenching, to see how KTVU fares under Fox ownership.

I realize there is a feeling of doom & gloom over this transaction. But from an insiders perspective, I really don't think you're going to see wholesale changes, especially in news philosophy.

There really is nothing, that I am aware of, we are "required" by upper management to do or cover that ties in with the new philosophy of the Fox News Channel.

You might see a nightly "debate" segment, but you might not (we do one, I know some of the other o&os do as well, but do all?).

You might see the M-F Neil Cavuto business report pop up, you might not (this is o&o exclusive content so far as I know, but I don't believe we're required to run it).

Unlike, say, Sinclair, which requires their stations to run the daily conservative editorial piece fed from Baltimore.

There may be some cuts in the newsroom staffing levels, but FTS may feel that if it ain't broke don't try to fix it.

And if they bill high enough in ads, that's even more reason not to mess with it.

There will most certainly be cuts to the master control staff (but this should be fairly unnoticeable to viewers).

But I think the doom & gloom over this is just a bit much.

The only Fox affiliate that is a solid #1 across the board (that I know of) is WBRC Fox 6 in Birmingham, Alabama. No one really comes close to touching them in ratings when it comes to news. Interesting to note that they were a Fox O&O at one time, and is also one of the few stations if not the only station in the country that has had a primary affiliation with all 4 of the major broadcasting groups at one point during its 60 plus years of service.

The only Fox affiliate that is a solid #1 across the board (that I know of) is WBRC Fox 6 in Birmingham, Alabama. No one really comes close to touching them in ratings when it comes to news. Interesting to note that they were a Fox O&O at one time, and is also one of the few stations if not the only station in the country that has had a primary affiliation with all 4 of the major broadcasting groups at one point during its 60 plus years of service.

Birmingham was a 2-VHF market and their legacy as the top station in the market goes back to the days when it was owned by Storer. WBRC is the WHIO of that market.

WJW, save for the two-year period following their flip to Fox in the mid-90s, has always been a ratings powerhouse... especially in mornings and early evenings. And they have generally trounced WUAB at 10pm since 1995.

To Fox's credit, they never interfered that much with WJW, although then-GM Mike Renda tried his best to keep "Big Chuck and Lil John" on the air as long as he could, defying higher-ups at Fox in the process. Totally different treatment from how NBC ran WKYC as an afterthought from 1965 until 1991.

And, outside of the (now-heavily dated) first-generation O&O graphics, the station is still regarded as the market leader.

It also says a lot when Tribune selects WJW's GM Greg Easterly to head up their mothership.

I don't think KTVU isn't #1 across the board. I think KGO is #1 in early evenings. KDFW was #1 in many timeslots in May. WTVT used to be #1 in a few timeslots, but I think they have slipped recently. WDAF is also very competitive in the KC market.

WTVT is number one in it's respective market, though not by a lot.

I don't think KTVU isn't #1 across the board. I think KGO is #1 in early evenings. KDFW was #1 in many timeslots in May. WTVT used to be #1 in a few timeslots, but I think they have slipped recently. WDAF is also very competitive in the KC market.

Nah, KGO's 5pm/6pm numbers tanked after they lost Oprah and added the 4pm show. The 4pm news is not doing well at all, but ABC doesn't have anything better to put in that timeslot so it's not going anywhere. Pretty sure KTVU is in the top spot at 5pm and 6pm, with KNTV coming in second thanks to the Ellen lead-in.

So Fox is a lucky sunuvabitch - not only do they get San Francisco 49ers money, they're also getting World Series bucks right away.

Should be interesting to see how KTVU steps up its World Series coverage under Fox and the new GM and ND. I thought it was a little understated in 2010 and 2012, with Mark Ibanez solo-anchoring a postgame newscast from the Oakland studio and a few reporters out in the field. It always felt like it was an event that deserved a larger on-location presence, so I'm eager to see what's on tap for the home games next week.

Regardless, let's go Giants!

So Fox is a lucky sunuvabitch - not only do they get San Francisco 49ers money, they're also getting World Series bucks right away.

You can say the same for last year this time - WFXT/Fox got bucks (I'd highly assume) with the Sox being in the Series. Advertisers are well aware that we take our sports very seriously.

This time, its two seasons in a row for them! Maybe next year another O&O market will play, go for three, lol.

You can say the same for last year this time - WFXT/Fox got bucks (I'd highly assume) with the Sox being in the Series. Advertisers are well aware that we take our sports very seriously.

This time, its two seasons in a row for them! Maybe next year another O&O market will play, go for three, lol.

Actually if you look back, every single FOX aired World Series has had at least one team from an o&o market (at the time)

1996 & 1998: Yankees

2000: Yankees & Mets

2001: Yankees & Dbacks

2002: Angels

2003: Yankees

2004: Red Sox & Cardinals

2005: White Sox & Astros

2006: Tigers & Cardinals

2007: Red Sox & Rockies

2008: Rays & Phillies

2009: Yankees & Phillies

2010 & 2011: Rangers

2012: Tigers

2013: Red Sox

2014: Giants

Actually if you look back, every single FOX aired World Series has had at least one team from an o&o market (at the time)

1996 & 1998: Yankees

2000: Yankees & Mets

2001: Yankees & Dbacks

2002: Angels

2003: Yankees

2004: Red Sox & Cardinals

2005: White Sox & Astros

2006: Tigers & Cardinals

2007: Red Sox & Rockies

2008: Rays & Phillies

2009: Yankees & Phillies

2010 & 2011: Rangers

2012: Tigers

2013: Red Sox

2014: Giants

You forgot 1997. Fox owned WJW when the Indians & Marlins series took place.

A WFXT anchor resigns. http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/family-calls-shannon-mulaire-leaving-wfxt_b131778 Think this is related to the Cox buyout? Yes she says she's leaving to spend more time with her family (standard response) but really look between the lines.

I dunno, because she seems to be an egg machine (had at least a couple of kids in her tenure.) She just gave birth to another child during the summer.

I bet it was just coincidental.

Crap. I thought that the Baseball Network experiment (the multi-network handling of baseball playoffs) ended in 1996, not 1997.

GardnerFacepalmBig.jpg

It did end after the '95 Series, but the contract from 1996-99 gave NBC the Series in odd numbered years and Fox in even numbered years, with the All-Star Game being delegated vice-versa.

Not sure if anyone has noticed this, but for every night there has been a World Series game, KTVU has been producing live news at 11pm on KICU. The Ten O'Clock News will swipe over to KICU at 11pm and the first 15 minute block will be more live coverage, then after the commercial break, they will slip back into the rerun of the 10pm show.

While I'm sure they're probably doing this to hopefully grab people away from the other 11pm broadcasts, I also wonder if this is a test to see what kind of ratings they might get for an 11pm live show. Fox loves venturing into 11pm on most O&Os it seems like.

KTVU's airing of Modern Family reruns at 11pm usually outperform the newscasts on at that time. If they wanted to launch a newscast in that timeslot, it would most likely do just fine.

Archived