Breaking: Cox/Fox swap stations, KTVU to become Fox O&O

caliwxdude

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not to sound like a meanie lawyer, but how can WFXT/WHBQ be continuing to use the O&O graphics since its cloud based and its Chyron Axis likely licensed/contracted to the O&O group?

Isn't that a violation to Chyron's EULA another company using another company's license/contract/etc?

I'm sure the EULA is based on the number of workstations using the software/hardware and those software licenses were assigned to Cox when the stations were sold. It's like when you buy a business and you inherit a bunch of PC's with Microsoft Office installed on them. Most people don't turn around and buy that software a second time regardless of what the EULA says.

I'm sure the contract has a provision where FOX will continue to provide Master Control and Graphics support until Cox can get what they want in place. This stuff doesn't happen overnight, and Cox doesn't do the corporate look thing, so the O&O stuff will last until they build their own art department and hire someone to build a new graphics package.

"AXIS" is just a cloud-based graphic builder. They could end the AXIS contract and the O&O stuff would still play off their Chyrons just fine.

The closest thing that Cox has to a corporate look is the blue-and-gold color scheme used across it's larger stations- KIRO, WSB, WSOC, WPXI, and previously WHIO; KRIO, WSOC and WFTV all had similar graphics in the mid-to-late 90s. I'm wondering who made those graphics.

I'm sure the EULA is based on the number of workstations using the software/hardware and those software licenses were assigned to Cox when the stations were sold. It's like when you buy a business and you inherit a bunch of PC's with Microsoft Office installed on them. Most people don't turn around and buy that software a second time regardless of what the EULA says.

I'm aware of those things and Enterprise EULAs are different, the media is cheap, but a piece of paper (the license) can be really pricey.

I'm sure the contract has a provision where FOX will continue to provide Master Control and Graphics support until Cox can get what they want in place. This stuff doesn't happen overnight, and Cox doesn't do the corporate look thing, so the O&O stuff will last until they build their own art department and hire someone to build a new graphics package.

"AXIS" is just a cloud-based graphic builder. They could end the AXIS contract and the O&O stuff would still play off their Chyrons just fine.

I totally get the first paragraph; but I thought like the L3s and OTS were stored and executed in the cloud in some way. It be interesting to see going forward if other deals involve critical systems that are cloud based or things running in the ether, in the legal sense you know.

The closest thing that Cox has to a corporate look is the blue-and-gold color scheme used across it's larger stations- KIRO, WSB, WSOC, WPXI, and previously WHIO; KRIO, WSOC and WFTV all had similar graphics in the mid-to-late 90s. I'm wondering who made those graphics.

E.Q. Vance. It wasn't just Cox but stations like WGAL, WMC and WROC.

I still love that this ten foot pole long disclaimer is still on the FAQ section of the website:

Q: What is the relationship between KTVU, Cox, and Fox? A: KTVU/Fox 2 is owned by Cox Enterprises, a family-owned media company. KTVU has an affiliation agreement with the Fox Television Network, a subsidiary of Rupert Murdoch's News Corp. Even though the names Cox and Fox look and sound alike, the two companies have no connection to each other.

I totally get the first paragraph; but I thought like the L3s and OTS were stored and executed in the cloud in some way.

AXIS is used to build, say, the image for the OTS, but after that it's exported to the station's hardware and is played out from there. You can create most graphics in it, too, but they're static and I think that function really only exists to export things like fullscreens for packages or online use.

The last time I used it (a long time ago), AXIS didn't "cloud" render anything other than animated maps, and even those were limited to something like 30 per month per station.

AXIS is used to build, say, the image for the OTS, but after that it's exported to the station's hardware and is played out from there. You can create most graphics in it, too, but they're static and I think that function really only exists to export things like fullscreens for packages or online use.

The last time I used it (a long time ago), AXIS didn't "cloud" render anything other than animated maps, and even those were limited to something like 30 per month per station.

In the current Axis v.1 software, all full screens and any photo elements (L3 bug pictures, UTS elements, plasma-screen graphics, etc.) are created through the axis online site. Once they're exported out, they're available on the local server for reuse until the administrator deletes them.

All banners and other templates are stored locally as well. Everything is accessible thorough the Chyron "Luci" interface in I news.

Next week, FTS is upgrading to Axis v.2. There isn't much noticeable difference between the two on air. But for us in the newsroom, it means we don't have to create fullscreens on the axis website - unless we want a photo to accompany it.

The map making function is also more dynamic in v.2, especially the animated maps. Currently we are limited to one level and one stop animations. From what I saw in the training, v.2 allows multiple levels and stops.

Maps are still rendered on their end then downloadable.

Not sure if Memphis & Boston will get this upgrade, though.

Is it a Fox thing (or perhaps a WJBK thing) to have anchors ask a question to a reporter in their tag? This is something that KTVU has never done until this week. As a viewer, I think it looks a lot smoother without a question, and I've always thought it looks pretty juvenile and scripted when the anchor has just the right question and the reporter has just the right answer to something that was conveniently left out of their tag.

I thought it was only done in SoCal. When I moved to SF they never ask questions and I'm like, gosh that's rude just end the live shot and no thank you and move on to the next story. Once in a while KGO and KPIX would ask a question.

I think what your saying is that there are pre built templates which have designated forms to be filled in via a website. Then the "cloud" computer will render that image for you to put into the rundown or ENG package. From the description it sounds like the HATMOS system that Hearst uses which can render the background animations (which I think for a 15 second graphic may render 60 individual video frames that can be imported into the edit computer in the live truck).

Is it a Fox thing (or perhaps a WJBK thing) to have anchors ask a question to a reporter in their tag? This is something that KTVU has never done until this week. As a viewer, I think it looks a lot smoother without a question, and I've always thought it looks pretty juvenile and scripted when the anchor has just the right question and the reporter has just the right answer to something that was conveniently left out of their tag.

It all depends on what management wants. The morning EP that came and went at KRIV in the span of 8 months **demanded** that the reporters have a question ready for the anchors to ask on the back end. She felt it made things more "conversational."

Our current interim morning EP told us not to worry about it unless it makes sense.

It certainly quickens the pace of the show not to include it.

Ok so that cloud platform was more for the UTS (correcting myself) and the fullscreens. What do you mean by 30?

In the current Axis v.1 software, all full screens and any photo elements (L3 bug pictures, UTS elements, plasma-screen graphics, etc.) are created through the axis online site. Once they're exported out, they're available on the local server for reuse until the administrator deletes them.

All banners and other templates are stored locally as well. Everything is accessible thorough the Chyron "Luci" interface in I news.

Next week, FTS is upgrading to Axis v.2. There isn't much noticeable difference between the two on air. But for us in the newsroom, it means we don't have to create fullscreens on the axis website - unless we want a photo to accompany it.

The map making function is also more dynamic in v.2, especially the animated maps. Currently we are limited to one level and one stop animations. From what I saw in the training, v.2 allows multiple levels and stops.

Maps are still rendered on their end then downloadable.

Not sure if Memphis & Boston will get this upgrade, though.

I wasn't sure how UTS and L3s were done, because I remember when these crummy graphics rolled out, it basically rolled out within a day; knowingly that could easily be done with cloud infrastructure.

To be quite honest, I'm tired of all the maps. Maps should be used in small markets where stations are too cheap to send out a microwave van to do a liveshot. I mean all groups, markets, etc. If the story was that important, send out a truck!

Also, how much did Axis take out of the work of the art department? I can't speak for other O&Os (mostly because I haven't been in markets watching on air) but how does the promos work, i.e. who does it, and are they using multiple tools? WFXT's art dept seemed to shrink when the mandates came along (indefinitely with the updates 4 years ago), but the promos were still the same, highly professional, After Effects like work - to this day. It's boggling my mind.

Ok so that cloud platform was more for the UTS (correcting myself) and the fullscreens. What do you mean by 30?

I wasn't sure how UTS and L3s were done, because I remember when these crummy graphics rolled out, it basically rolled out within a day; knowingly that could easily be done with cloud infrastructure.

To be quite honest, I'm tired of all the maps. Maps should be used in small markets where stations are too cheap to send out a microwave van to do a liveshot. I mean all groups, markets, etc. If the story was that important, send out a truck!

Also, how much did Axis take out of the work of the art department? I can't speak for other O&Os (mostly because I haven't been in markets watching on air) but how does the promos work, i.e. who does it, and are they using multiple tools? WFXT's art dept seemed to shrink when the mandates came along (indefinitely with the updates 4 years ago), but the promos were still the same, highly professional, After Effects like work - to this day. It's boggling my mind.

30 is the amount of animated maps a station could render in AXIS per month. Still maps were unlimited. This may have changed in the new AXIS v2.

What AXIS does is push a lot of simple, menial graphics tasks onto the newsroom staff. Things like building an image for an OTS/UTS or a monitor graphic. Instead of someone sending off an order to the graphics department to "build an OTS with President Obama, an Ebola background, and the CDC logo" a producer would search AXIS for a flag background, a cutout of the President, and a CDC logo and assemble it themselves in a (mostly) click-and-drag interface. This greatly reduces the need for an art department, especially if you have promotion editors who know how to make high quality promo graphics themselves or a good hub that can build promotion stuff. Images that don't already exist in AXIS are added by the hub.

It's best to think of AXIS more like a extremely dumbed down version of Photoshop than a character generator.

Here's a quick laugh as Rich Lieberman is once again ridiculously slow on the uptake.

The clincher of course being his moronic lead sentence.

Rich, that question was answered the second the deal was announced!

1195760_o.gif

The comments are interesting. Some are pretty out there but others are legitimate concerns (ie: How much of the "Fox look" will come to KTVU and if that will work in a market like SF as well as the fact that they people they're bringing are from the #4 station in Boston).

Currently, KRIV has a 1-person art department. For the most part, she doesn't do a lot for the newsroom on a daily basis, though.

We have a 3 person promotions department that cranks out our daily promos and topicals. I believe both the art department and promotions falls under creative services.

Currently, KRIV has a 1-person art department. For the most part, she doesn't do a lot for the newsroom on a daily basis, though.

We have a 3 person promotions department that cranks out our daily promos and topicals. I believe both the art department and promotions falls under creative services.

that's what I meant (in bold.) Did these positions have any impact when Fox started to hub the graphics?

The comments are interesting. Some are pretty out there but others are legitimate concerns (ie: How much of the "Fox look" will come to KTVU and if that will work in a market like SF as well as the fact that they people they're bringing are from the #4 station in Boston).

The comments tend to be more interesting than the actual posts. The "San Francisco vs. San Jose" argument was also quite fascinating.

30 is the amount of animated maps a station could render in AXIS per month. Still maps were unlimited. This may have changed in the new AXIS v2.

why was there a restriction like that?

What AXIS does is push a lot of simple, menial graphics tasks onto the newsroom staff. Things like building an image for an OTS/UTS or a monitor graphic. Instead of someone sending off an order to the graphics department to "build an OTS with President Obama, an Ebola background, and the CDC logo" a producer would search AXIS for a flag background, a cutout of the President, and a CDC logo and assemble it themselves in a (mostly) click-and-drag interface. This greatly reduces the need for an art department, especially if you have promotion editors who know how to make high quality promo graphics themselves or a good hub that can build promotion stuff. Images that don't already exist in AXIS are added by the hub.

How come the stations can't have the ability add their own images, say like a state agency's seal that in a scandal-of-the-day? Especially if the story repeats its self, different case, different day. I think Tim had answered my question on the promos being done by Creative Services.

It's best to think of AXIS more like a extremely dumbed down version of Photoshop than a character generator.

I knew it wasn't a CG, I thought everything originated there, or it would be used to push new critical elements like the L3s. I say its a tool to get graphics done efficiently and a UI similar to a PowerPoint. My mother knows nothing what iNews, a Deko or a Chyron does (never mind Photoshop) but the laymen watchers (like her) could compare fullscreens or the maps to a PowerPoint.

How come the stations can't have the ability add their own images, say like a state agency's seal that in a scandal-of-the-day? Especially if the story repeats its self, different case, different day. I think Tim had answered my question on the promos being done by Creative Services.

Stations do have the ability to add new photos, logos, etc. This is how mugshots are created, for instance.

There are 3 sources we can use to create images: AP graphics bank, local uploads ( which is quite clunky to search for images that have been uploaded previously, v.2 is much better), and FOX O&O (images uploaded by the hub in Tampa).

Archived