Breaking: Cox/Fox swap stations, KTVU to become Fox O&O

caliwxdude

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From what I hear about over there, the other one is already greenlighted or will be tomorrow. Fox takes control of Oakland next Thursday. Rosenthal is going to WFXT. Dana Hahn of WTTG and WJBK fame is moving to the west coast. DC or Detroit people, what does this mean?

From what I hear about over there, the other one is already greenlighted or will be tomorrow. Fox takes control of Oakland next Thursday. Rosenthal is going to WFXT. Dana Hahn of WTTG and WJBK fame is moving to the west coast. DC or Detroit people, what does this mean?

I heard a rumor WFXT's current ND is going to fill the void in DC.

Follow-up Time.

It appears that the FCC greenlighted one of the applications yesterday (10/1). The WFXT/WHBQ one to Cox.

Makes me think they'll greenlight the other one soon.

Here's the KTVU/KICU approval paper. It was also approved on the same day (10/1). They say they're going to close it out this week.

Man, 51 years! :(

Here's the KTVU/KICU approval paper. It was also approved on the same day (10/1). They say they're going to close it out this week.

Man, 51 years! :(

Apparently, there was a Petition To Deny filed against the deal by a group that thought KTVU would become like Fox News Channel if the deal went through and also had an issue with the Asiana Airlines prank. But the FCC rejected it, saying that KTVU took corrective action with regards to the Asiana Airlines prank and that the group's claims that KTVU would become like Fox News were speculative.

Hmm. Will WFXT (and possibly even WHBQ) also hire Scott Chapin to do VoiceOver work there?

Doubt it. Scott Chapin was a WHDH signature until recently when he was replaced by Paul Turner.

Here's the VO breakdown in Boston:

• WBZ/WSBK: John Pleisse
  • WCVB: Steve Stone
  • WHDH/WLVI: Paul Turner
  • WFXT: Russ Harris

And in Memphis:

• WREG: Harry Schultz
  • WMC: John Young
  • WHBQ: John Guidry (I think)
  • WATN/WLMT: Charlie Van Dyke

I say they pick up Brian Lee for both. Lee just replaced Beau Weaver at WFTV/WRDQ.

And in Memphis:

I say they pick up Brian Lee for both. Lee just replaced Beau Weaver at WFTV/WRDQ.

That makes sense, IMO. I once saw a YT promo from WPXI with Brian Lee voicing it.

•  

•  

•  

•  

And in Memphis:

•  

•  

•  

•  

Jim Cutler replaced Jon Guidry as the voiceover at WHBQ months ago. John Young is still the voiceover at WMC, except for a couple of weeks recently when they used Greg O'Neill's voice for some of the promos.

Hmm. Will WFXT (and possibly even WHBQ) also hire Scott Chapin to do VoiceOver work there?

Probably not. Chapin got picked up by NECN last year.

I believe I had mentioned that Chapin had been picked up by NECN last year a while back.

Doubt it. Scott Chapin was a WHDH signature until recently when he was replaced by Paul Turner.

And in Memphis:

WFXT is using another [allegedly hyper local] v/o, not sure of his name. Russ Harris was dumped entirely late last year. Russ Harris had no other clientele, and this guy they are using now seems to be the same. WFXT really shoulda, coulda gotten Chris Corley just like how WNYW (and others) have used. He's got a great voice for 25's potential, but yet again WFXT insist they know what's best for their station to get no name, allegedly local voice talent who suck.

WFXT and WHBQ did not waste time changing the copyrights on their site (and of course WHBQ had to screw it up, changing the copyright from 2014 to 2000) and Cox quickly removed KTVU/KICU from their site. KTVU has not yet updated their copyright. Wikipedia is extremely quick with updating their information...

I could see the end of MyFox in Boston and Memphis, and KTVU become FOX2 Bay Area.

That's a given.

Probably not immediately, but the Fox O&Os spun off to LocalTV (sans WBRC, which was traded to Raycom) did get new domain names for their websites a few months after the sale.

Not to sound like a meanie lawyer, but how can WFXT/WHBQ be continuing to use the O&O graphics since its cloud based and its Chyron Axis likely licensed/contracted to the O&O group?

Isn't that a violation to Chyron's EULA another company using another company's license/contract/etc?

Not to sound like a meanie lawyer, but how can WFXT/WHBQ be continuing to use the O&O graphics since its cloud based and its Chyron Axis likely licensed/contracted to the O&O group?

Isn't that a violation to Chyron's EULA another company using another company's license/contract/etc?

Both stations still have their master controls at the Fox O&O facility in Las Vegas. They need to move out, and KTVU needs to move in.

Both stations still have their master controls at the Fox O&O facility in Las Vegas. They need to move out, and KTVU needs to move in.

I thought the Axis (if I am not mistaken thats like hybrid/private cloud not SAAS) was based out of Tampa or some place in Florida.

I thought the Axis (if I am not mistaken thats like hybrid/private cloud not SAAS) was based out of Tampa or some place in Florida.

The Fox O&O graphics hub is based out of Tampa. Master control is out of Las Vegas.

Neither of the stations were going to change immediately. It's not a case of, "Bam! We're different!"

Archived