ABC News in Frankfurt, West Germany 1981

bmasters1

Did you know that in 1981, there was a broadcast of ABC WNT that had Peter Jennings not in his normal bureau of London, but in Frankfurt, West Germany? This was from 1/20/81, and I was quite surprised to see it.

abcnewsfrankfurt1981.jpg.880bf86cbea9e7bb777cdcd4287f4296.jpg

Here's that newscast on YouTube:

Part 2:

Part 3:

U.S. hostages held in Iran were released that day -- in the wake of Reagan's inauguration -- and West Germany was one of the stops on their way to the U.S.; that's why Jennings was anchoring from ABC's Frankfurt bureau.

I was also surprised that to see that the bureau was equipped to take on the role of a fully functioning news studio.

Here's that newscast on YouTube:

Part 2:

Part 3:

U.S. hostages held in Iran were released that day -- in the wake of Reagan's inauguration -- and West Germany was one of the stops on their way to the U.S.; that's why Jennings was anchoring from ABC's Frankfurt bureau.

I was also surprised that to see that the bureau was equipped to take on the role of a fully functioning news studio.

Believe it or not, that's where I got that screenshot! I had seen bureaus in Chicago and L.A., as well as D.C. and NYC, but prior to now, none from anywhere else (at least, none that I can recall; I may be incorrect).

Archived