WGN to add weekend 5pm newscast

Jase

From the Tribune-

http://my.chicagotribune.com/#section/551/article/p2p-80594870/

'WGN-TV is adding a 5 p.m. weekend newscast beginning July 12.

The expansion of the station’s news programming was announced in a memo to staffers Monday from assistant news director Jennifer Lyons.

"Over the past year we’ve seen more and more major newsworthy events happening on weekends from serious weather to major construction projects," Lyons said in the memo. "It will be a good thing to be in the Saturday and Sunday afternoon time slot."'

I remember when WFLD had a Saturday 5pm newscast several years ago, prior to like 2006 called "Fox News Saturday".

Of course they're following KTLA since it has an hourly 6pm news.

I still think the station is pouring too much hours of news, but an earlier hour of news on the weekends isn't going to hurt.

I remember when WFLD had a Saturday 5pm newscast several years ago, prior to like 2006 called "Fox News Saturday".

Of course they're following KTLA since it has an hourly 6pm news.

I still think the station is pouring too much hours of news, but an earlier hour of news on the weekends isn't going to hurt.

Yeah, at least this one makes sense. Though, I am a little surprised they didn't wait for Bob Jordan to retire before they made such a move. Also, it seems that this will be more akin to the 9pm show than to its weekday counterpart, seeing as sports anchor Rich King will be involved.

Yeah, at least this one makes sense. Though, I am a little surprised they didn't wait for Bob Jordan to retire before they made such a move. Also, it seems that this will be more akin to the 9pm show than to its weekday counterpart, seeing as sports anchor Rich King will be involved.

I'm wondering since Rich King does the 9pm news on Fridays & Saturdays, would he be involved on the 5pm Sunday nights. Because Dan Roan usually host Instant Replay on Sunday Nights after the news. To me it would be a tad bit awkward, but it would too much hurt if that is the case.

It seems like every time I tune into Instant Replay, Rich is anchoring anyway. Maybe (and it's a long shot) Rich will assume Sundays entirely, and Dan would stick to the four weeknights, but add the 5pm show when the 4 o'clock debuts.

I'm wondering since Rich King does the 9pm news on Fridays & Saturdays, would he be involved on the 5pm Sunday nights. Because Dan Roan usually host Instant Replay on Sunday Nights after the news. To me it would be a tad bit awkward, but it would too much hurt if that is the case.

I'm guessing they will have one person working both newscasts and IR on Sundays. It wouldn't make much sense to have Rich work @ 5p and then Dan handling both the 9p and IR. Plus, with Sundays being a busy sports day most of the year, they would need someone out in the field (and live on occasion) covering things.

For a station that has 10 hours of news on weekdays, it's good that they're finally throwing a bone to the weekends. Having 2 hours on Saturdays and and hour and 40 minutes on Sundays was in stark contract to their weekday news schedule.

So the general consensus is that they're gonna be doing this newscast from the desk instead of from the newsroom?

Either way, I'm looking forward to it. When it's all said and done, they'll probably have the weekend evening newscast that's least preempted by sports. Cubs games are usually over before 5 pm, and those will be completely gone soon, anyway. WBBM, WMAQ, and WLS's competing newscasts all get preempted by sports quite often, especially in the fall. At least we can count on WGN delivering a 5pm weekend newscast on time almost every single weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

This game might've been flexed from a noon start. I forget what all goes into that determination, but it is what it is.

A couple things to note, though. Each of the shows are showing up on the DVR as the 'WGN [saturday/Sunday] Evening News'. A new promotional banner has also been hung in the hallways of Bradley Place, promoting Tom Skilling's weather from '4-6PM', not at 4 and 5.

Sounds to me like the WGN Evening News is on its way back.

Jackie did the pre-show teaser and said "WGN News at Five," but it sounds like she got a correction through her earpiece, because at the end of the teaser, she over-emphasized the correction and said "WGN EVENING News"

The intro v/o says "WGN Sunday Evening News," and that's also the name that they introduced the newscast as when they went to the establishing two-shot.

Edit: Talent open for the Sunday show indeed does have Dan Roan.

Archived