Topic Quality Control Initiative

Hello all,

After much consideration, the Executive Board of TVNewsTalk Industries has decided to begin enforcing keeping threads on topic. This decsion comes after noticing more and more often, some threads have become a mishmash of different discussions revolving loosely around the original topic. While this is not inherently "bad", it doesn't make finding information any more easier, and often leads to duplicate threads being created.

Some of the threads that have lead to this decision include the old Hearst thread, the Gannett websites thread, and to a degree: the Sinclair thread. While we think there's a place for these "general discussion" types of threads, they do quickly become a vaccuum for any discussion that gets too close to them. For example, there is now discussion about graphics in the Gannett websites thread that probably would have been better suited in it's own thread.

Over the course of the next few weeks, we will be taking action on off-topic threads, splitting them into new topics or closing them if necessary. We ask that all members consider the thread topic and what they are posting before hitting "Reply", and whether or not it'd be better off as a new thread. Sometime in the second half of the year, we also plan on overhauling the board listing to help sort discussions even better. More on that "soon".

Thank you!

-Smitha

One potential split target in the Sinclair thread is the history of the filings in the Allbritton case, which I have been first to report throughout the process. There's an Allbritton thread but I've been putting them in the Sinclair thread.

Before the "Sinclair...Again" thread, we have been posting each of the news of their next acquisition on the separate thread. But after that, we've been posting all their latest acquisitions on that said thread, starting with the Fisher acquisition.

But as what I think the main part of that thread was to discuss about the acquisitions of Sinclair, more topics that didn't have anything to do with Sinclair's M&As came about. Including the talk of the new Sinclair graphics. That's why some weeks back, Weeters took some of those postings and placed them on a separate thread.

So I think the (past and current) M&A discussions of the "Sinclair...Again" thread shouldn't be broken down. Of course, the Allbritton is of course the main part of those discussions, since its been dragging on for almost a year. Just the other stuff that isn't relating to any acquisition we've been talking about, like what WSYX did this past weekend, those could be split.

Guest steve

yeah,

how about reigning in the station group specific threads- you know, the "one" that hasn't made any acquisitions, but wants to keep their name in the first two or three listings here.

that one.

Great news!

I'd like to offer a few points.

1. I hope we will still be allowed to "meander" somewhat within a topic as long as it quickly returns to the topic. One of the things I've enjoyed here at TVNT is that we don't have a heavy hand interjecting in every topic when it "strays" a little. Hopefully some of that will continue.

2. I think we as members need to make sure we are posting in the right forum. We have several discussions on the same topics going on in multiple corners of the playground. The General TV forum has seemingly become the default for some reason. For example, have graphics packages being discussed in multiple forums and multiple threads. In order to have the best and most productive discussions we need to make sure we are starting threads in the right place.

3. I also think some of the forums might need to be better defined in order to avoid duplicate threads. The General TV, Network and US Cable forums tend to meld together sometimes. For example, We have late night & upfront discussion in the General TV forum and multiple other threads/discussions that cross forums.

4. Also, as members we need to define the topic of the threads better. If we are going to avoid these "catch-all" mega threads we need to specifically define the topic being discussed. For example, I'm still unsure what the point of the of the "new" Hearst thread is. What are we supposed to be discussing? It just seems to be a catch-all for all things Hearst.

5. Although discussions get heated around here sometimes and opinions are going to differ we as members need to keep things civil. This means discussing the topic and not each other. Our favorite Sinclair mega thread was derailed today with a page or two of members arguing with each other and not discussing the topic whatsoever. This does nothing to promote constructive discussion. We all need to do our part to keep our emotions in check so even if we disagree we can have healthy discussion without derailing the topic. I'm confident enough in the membership here at TVNT that we can do this without the Admins having to implement rules forcing us to do so.

Other than that I'm pretty pumped up about the changes and it will definitely make TVNT a much better place.

Great news!

I'd like to offer a few points.

1. I hope we will still be allowed to "meander" somewhat within a topic as long as it quickly returns to the topic. One of the things I've enjoyed here at TVNT is that we don't have a heavy hand interjecting in every topic when it "strays" a little. Hopefully some of that will continue.

2. I think we as members need to make sure we are posting in the right forum. We have several discussions on the same topics going on in multiple corners of the playground. The General TV forum has seemingly become the default for some reason. For example, have graphics packages being discussed in multiple forums and multiple threads. In order to have the best and most productive discussions we need to make sure we are starting threads in the right place.

3. I also think some of the forums might need to be better defined in order to avoid duplicate threads. The General TV, Network and US Cable forums tend to meld together sometimes. For example, We have late night & upfront discussion in the General TV forum and multiple other threads/discussions that cross forums.

4. Also, as members we need to define the topic of the threads better. If we are going to avoid these "catch-all" mega threads we need to specifically define the topic being discussed. For example, I'm still unsure what the point of the of the "new" Hearst thread is. What are we supposed to be discussing? It just seems to be a catch-all for all things Hearst.

5. Although discussions get heated around here sometimes and opinions are going to differ we as members need to keep things civil. This means discussing the topic and not each other. Our favorite Sinclair mega thread was derailed today with a page or two of members arguing with each other and not discussing the topic whatsoever. This does nothing to promote constructive discussion. We all need to do our part to keep our emotions in check so even if we disagree we can have healthy discussion without derailing the topic. I'm confident enough in the membership here at TVNT that we can do this without the Admins having to implement rules forcing us to do so.

Other than that I'm pretty pumped up about the changes and it will definitely make TVNT a much better place.

I agree with you on all points and I wanted to elaborate on 4 and 5.

For some reason, after the old Hearst graphics thread was locked after some users (or guest users who didn't bother signing up for accounts) were asking for cuts of Strive, some user decided to create a new Hearst thread for all things Hearst. Actually I like the idea if we want to say something generalized that has to do with one of the groups we can post it there. I think it keeps the forum cleaner than starting a new topic such as, "Gannett redesigns websites" it can just be posted in a general Gannett thread, that way if it does stray off into graphics, it wouldn't be such a big deal.

As for point, I'm kind of amused that I was brought into that argument apparently although I don't agree with either member or their conduct...

My humble opinion that's somewhat relevant this...

I don't care if someone has different political views, morals, motives, or if they kicked your cat, the slanderous name-calling NEEDS TO STOP.

Maybe if the major station groups had their own sections (i.e. "O&O's", Tribune, Gannett, Sinclair, Nexstar, Scripps)...

Agreed except the O&Os should be by network...

My humble opinion that's somewhat relevant this...

I don't care if someone has different political views, morals, motives, or if they kicked your cat, the slanderous name-calling NEEDS TO STOP.

Oh I'm all for this, especially with Sinclair. The owners of the company named it Sinclair and not anything else.

Case in point...

WWL got the Gannett standardized graphics today. It's being discussed in the 11-page "Gannett Stations Rolling Out New Website Design" thread in the General TV section that was started in October 2013. If you're not keeping up with the thread, you wouldn't know this information. I don't read every thread on this forum like I used to.

As for point, I'm kind of amused that I was brought into that argument apparently although I don't agree with either member or their conduct...

For the record, I didn't bring you in. I tend to just shrug off rude comments or just write one response, but I don't know what got into me on that day. I should have known better as he had gotten into lengthy arguments like that with others on multiple times in the past. I think it finally dawned on me that it was going on too long and the only way to end it was to give him the final word. Again, I apologize.

On a different note, I have often made comments like:

"Does this warrant it's own thread?" OR

"What does this have to do with the topic at hand?" .... and other similar comments in the past. (Paraphrasing)

The responses I've gotten are "you have a history of telling people how to post" or "I should be able to post as I wish" (again paraphrasing). And the responses/attacks have come from three or so different people, including you.

I am here to discuss just like all of you. I am not here to argue, and I enjoy reading other people's posts. If I've coming off as trying to tell people what to do, that is not my intention; my comments are made with the intent to better the discussion. And it seems the moderators agree! If you disagree with me, that's fine. I don't hate people that disagree with me. In fact, I like when people disagree because it creates discussion and makes people think outside the box. But no need to call me names or accuse me of being too bossy!

For the record, I didn't bring you in. I tend to just shrug off rude comments or just write one response, but I don't know what got into me on that day. I should have known better as he had gotten into lengthy arguments like that with others on multiple times in the past. I think it finally dawned on me that it was going on too long and the only way to end it was to give him the final word. Again, I apologize.

You didn't bring me in, CircleSeven did. I'm more amused why people are targeting CircleSeven and his comments, and I'm not singling you out. There are users who are worse about it and insist on getting on him every time he makes a diatribe. That's just he style. I don't agree with him a lot of times nor do I believe he should go on long endless diatribes and name call like he does.

But that's just his style. Nobody can change that. There's people who question his opinions and want to know why he feels a certain way on a subject. CircleSeven obviously doesn't go around and ask everybody why they think the way they do but with him, a couple certain users (not you TVNewsLover) go after him and literally question his posts almost to the point of arguing.

I think it's a lot easier to not say anything about what he says than it is to respond every time you don't agree with how he wrote a particular post.

It would save a lot of time and effort on everyone's part if they just respected everyone's opinion whether we agree with it or not. Unless he posts a hoax or makes threatening comments, what he says isn't "bad" by any stretch of the means, just not something a few agree with.

The responses I've gotten are "you have a history of telling people how to post" or "I should be able to post as I wish" (again paraphrasing). And the responses/attacks have come from three or so different people, including you.

I am here to discuss just like all of you. I am not here to argue, and I enjoy reading other people's posts. If I've coming off as trying to tell people what to do, that is not my intention; my comments are made with the intent to better the discussion. And it seems the moderators agree! If you disagree with me, that's fine. I don't hate people that disagree with me. In fact, I like when people disagree because it creates discussion and makes people think outside the box. But no need to call me names or accuse me of being too bossy!

I'm wasn't trying to sound like an ass or anything in the comment I made to you in December and if I come across that way I apologize. But I have seen a curbing in those types of comments made by you since then, if that's an indication of anything.

As a sometime participant, I have to say that there isn't much that annoys me here other than the time when you couldn't type Sinclair without something else popping up. I thought that was pretty childish. Since this is a media-related site, I think most people should understand that you should have something interesting to say and sometimes it takes a little edginess to be interesting. I think most people recognize that you have to have a little edge or you are going to be boring.

I much prefer the sensibilities of people on this site to say, the obscenely overmoderated former "Radio Discussions" site. Heaven forbid you had an opinion on anything over there lest you get banned. Those people were total idiots.

As a sometime participant, I have to say that there isn't much that annoys me here other than the time when you couldn't type Sinclair without something else popping up. I thought that was pretty childish. Since this is a media-related site, I think most people should understand that you should have something interesting to say and sometimes it takes a little edginess to be interesting. I think most people recognize that you have to have a little edge or you are going to be boring.

I much prefer the sensibilities of people on this site to say, the obscenely overmoderated former "Radio Discussions" site. Heaven forbid you had an opinion on anything over there lest you get banned. Those people were total idiots.

That's why I like about this forum. For the most part the admins are hands off unless you do something really dumb. I don't have an account on other forums because a lot of them are overmoderated like you say. I also don't have much interest in radio anyways since it's dying a slow death due to corporate behemoths like Clear Channel, Cumulus and Townsquare (the least toxic of the three).

• 1 month later...

Speaking of quality control, did anybody else have a problem logging in last week. I got a message with an expired warning with a generic screen that showed a bunch of links.

I checked the registration and this domain expired on 8/4/2014 and has not yet been renewed.

I think someone should renew it before it goes away for good.

http://www.whois.net/whois/tvnewstalk.net

EDIT ..... Never mind :)

Speaking of quality control, did anybody else have a problem logging in last week. I got a message with an expired warning with a generic screen that showed a bunch of links.

I checked the registration and this domain expired on 8/4/2014 and has not yet been renewed.

I cleared my cache and history and stopped getting the message. It may be an isolated bad or nefarious script.

EDIT ..... Never mind :)

The domain was renewed before it expired... but the domain registrar (the people we register the domain through) never bothered to actually renew it.

We're looking at moving it to a different registrar now.

The domain was renewed before it expired... but the domain registrar (the people we register the domain through) never bothered to actually renew it.

We're looking at moving it to a different registrar now.

as long as it's not GoDaddy the domain is in good hands...

Another thing I've noticed lately (and maybe it's not a big deal, but it kinda annoys me) is that a lot of stuff is getting posted in the General TV board rather than boards that are specifically dedicated to certain topics. Meaning that there have been several posts about graphics, sets & studios and music that have been put in General TV rather than their respected Graphics, Sets & Studios and News Music boards. Defeats the purpose of having those boards exist if everything is going to get dumped into General TV. I understand that General TV is probably the most viewed board, but if there are dedicated boards to discuss aforementioned things, then why not put it there?

Another thing I've noticed lately (and maybe it's not a big deal, but it kinda annoys me) is that a lot of stuff is getting posted in the General TV board rather than boards that are specifically dedicated to certain topics. Meaning that there have been several posts about graphics, sets & studios and music that have been put in General TV rather than their respected Graphics, Sets & Studios and News Music boards. Defeats the purpose of having those boards exist if everything is going to get dumped into General TV. I understand that General TV is probably the most viewed board, but if there are dedicated boards to discuss aforementioned things, then why not put it there?

I'm considering phasing out General TV in place of regional boards. It'd still exist, but would be more for, you know, general discussion rather than a dumping ground for anything that's happening outside of NY, Philly, Chicago, and LA.

Archived