Casey Kasem did news voiceovers?

Guest NewsHound

Guest NewsHound

One day after the death of legendary disc jockey and humanitarian Casey Kasem, the world continues to mourn the loss of the icon. It's shocking that nobody mentioned it anywhere on TVNT. He was 82 years old.

Many people know Kasem as the longtime host of American Top 40, American Top 20, and American Top 10. He was also the voice of Shaggy on Scooby Doo for decades. Kasem was known for his distinctive voice that had been used in commercials, television, and radio. He was also a humanitarian, notably he did voice Shaggy again after his retirement for "The Official BBC Children in Need Medley", and went uncredited by his request.

During his time lending his voice to commercials and other work for television, could he have also done news voiceovers?

Listen to KTVK in Phoenix on NMSA, during their "KTVK 1986 News Theme/Arizona's News People" era, and listen to the two opens listed. The second one clearly sounds like Kasem, the first one also sounds similar to Kasem. Both of which are listed as Unidentified.

Thoughts? Also, since I didn't see a thread listed anywhere, feel free to share your thoughts and memories of Kasem here.

Guest NewsHound

That wasn't Casey Kasem in those KTVK opens. I have heard that particular voice before, I think, on the old Family Channel.

Well it sounds like him. Very similar.

Listen to KTVK in Phoenix on NMSA, during their "KTVK 1986 News Theme/Arizona's News People" era, and listen to the two opens listed. The second one clearly sounds like Kasem, the first one also sounds similar to Kasem. Both of which are listed as Unidentified.

Here is a YouTube clip of that exact open:

Yeah, I'm also pretty sure it's not Casey Kasem. TheOneManHeard seems to remember the voice from the Family Channel, and he may very well be right, but KTVK did a lot of their production in-house. For example, the voice heard singing "Good Evening Arizona" in the station's post-1995 opens belonged, believe it or not, to a reporter at the station. (The theme itself was also produced in-house.)

Archived