MAJOR changes at WPIX

NYNewsCoverage

I'm not sure if this is how PIX is going to use the newsroom as a studio.

http://www.luckett-farley.com/projects/wpix/

And this video shows the current set as a virtual set

http://vimeo.com/94054700

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm beginning to think that this whole rumor about WPIX getting a new STUDIO is false. I'm thinking that this project may have just been for interview areas, dressing rooms, etc. Maybe we have all misinterpreted the article?

But anyways, I've seen that vimeo video that you are referring to about WPIX's current set as a virtual set. I don't think, no, it can't be, but is WPIX actually trying to trick us and is using a virtual set for some parts of the studio? I doubt it, but, hey, they've done it before. Take a look at these videos. They did this when they were modernizng the set back in 2011.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GARKx-53Uao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hyhXrPPnLQ

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did anyone watch today? Was anything different at all?

Well I just watched Jay Norris' recap on youtube, and it seems that they have this new headlines segment with Lisa Mateo. I guess she does this after Suki and Kori do the main stories? It's kind of confusing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HD2NZkoXBPE&index=1&list=UUzqpvO3cxishuzqmx09tnLA

From the video above, is it me or did they get a new arrangement of the theme? It seems like a different version is playing when they first say "Good Morning". Also, I like how they get everyone involved during the "boogy like beyonce" segment at the end. Also, in addition to doing the headlines, Lisa Mateo was still doing her usual location segments.

Also, it seems that they are playing the actual custom theme during the intros instead of playing a song, which I like.

Overall, it was actually a bit better than I thought. NO NEW STUDIO, though, if that is what you're wondering! Honestly, the current studio works fine for the morning show, the problem is the evenings. They have to get a more professional set for the evening news.

Kaity is anchoring solo at 10pm. When was the last time she anchored weekdays?

Basically every time Tamsen & Scott are off, she anchors solo. I don't remember the last time this was, but Tamsen & Scott aren't both off too often. It's so nice to see her whenever she anchors. I love how she connects with the viewers and almost talks to us like we're her friends! Do you remember the last time they had 2 anchors when either Tamsen or Scott is off? Since 2010, I'm pretty sure anytime one member of the team (well, since 2013 when a "team" was finally assembled) was off, the other just anchored solo. Even if Tamsen is off, Kaity does not do the news with Scott. It's almost kind of weird. They seem very reluctant to experiment. I remember pre-2010, they used to have Monica Morlaes, Mary Murphy, or Jackie Hyland anchor with Jim whenever Kaity was off. They have very good reporters, and many of them are fully capable of doing fill-in anchoring (Mario Diaz, Jay Dow, Marvin Scott, Allison Kaden, Ann Mercogliano).

Just watched Jay Norris' recap of the PIX Morning News right now... and I noticed Linda Church said "thank you to all the people at PIX for keeping me!" It's too weird for them to bring in Rachel Frank for only one hour of the morning show. I wonder if they want her to move to evenings? or weekends? or just kick her to the curb completely? I have to give credit to Linda for being brave enough to say these things on-air instead of covering it all up like PIX is the greatest news organization ever. The same goes to Kaity Tong, who said "and that's why I'm not a sports reporter" when trying to interpret the sports scores and stuff one weekend! The more this happens, the greater the chance of the show becoming better. It's one thing when the viewers aren't happy, but it's a whole other thing when the talent is embarrassed.

Also, I hope WPIX doesn't add another hour of news at 11pm when Arsenio is cancelled like KTLA is doing. They need to spread out their broadcasts (maybe 11am or 2pm, etc).

Well I just watched Jay Norris' recap on youtube, and it seems that they have this new headlines segment with Lisa Mateo. I guess she does this after Suki and Kori do the main stories? It's kind of confusing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HD2NZkoXBPE&index=1&list=UUzqpvO3cxishuzqmx09tnLA

From the video above, is it me or did they get a new arrangement of the theme? It seems like a different version is playing when they first say "Good Morning". Also, I like how they get everyone involved during the "boogy like beyonce" segment at the end. Also, in addition to doing the headlines, Lisa Mateo was still doing her usual location segments.

Also, it seems that they are playing the actual custom theme during the intros instead of playing a song, which I like.

Overall, it was actually a bit better than I thought. NO NEW STUDIO, though, if that is what you're wondering! Honestly, the current studio works fine for the morning show, the problem is the evenings. They have to get a more professional set for the evening news.

That Part of The Theme is still the WPIX Custom Package,that part is from the orchestral theme that they use at the "RIGHT NOW" and "COMING UP" bumpers.

According to Jerry Barmash, it is now confirmed that Marysol Castro will NOT be returning to WPIX. She was offered a reporting role, but decided not to take it. I'm actually glad, she deserves better than WPIX. I hope maybe WABC, WCBS, WNBC, or WNYW will hire her for some role. Now let's hope Mark Effron is the next to go, he's been given his chance, and he's failed miserably.

According to Jerry Barmash, it is now confirmed that Marysol Castro will NOT be returning to WPIX. She was offered a reporting role, but decided not to take it. I'm actually glad, she deserves better than WPIX. I hope maybe WABC, WCBS, WNBC, or WNYW will hire her for some role. Now let's hope Mark Effron is the next to go, he's been given his chance, and he's failed miserably.

GOOD!!! She does deserve better! That's a complete slap in the damn face. She came back to Channel 11 nine months ago and anchor the early morning news, only to be demoted to have her do some field reporting? Hell No. That's a damn shame.

GOOD!!! She does deserve better! That's a complete slap in the damn face. She came back to Channel 11 nine months ago and anchor the early morning news, only to be demoted to have her do some field reporting? Hell No. That's a damn shame.

She got demoted because nobody watched. WPIX had the decency to offer her another position. It was her decision to leave. WPIX was within their right to do what they had to do. They are in business to make money.

She got demoted because nobody watched. WPIX had the decency to offer her another position. It was her decision to leave. WPIX was within their right to do what they had to do. They are in business to make money.

You can defend those stupid fools a Channel 11 all you want. But their continued musical chair will continue to happen until they find some (and maintain that) stability. And within the next few months, we'll be talking about this shit all over again. Just watch.

You can defend those stupid fools a Channel 11 all you want. But their continued musical chair will continue to happen until they find some (and maintain that) stability. And within the next few months, we'll be talking about this shit all over again. Just watch.

First of all, realize that the parent company is coming out of chapter 9 bankruptcy. Second, they had extremely bad management that destroyed the entire station and news operations.

Yes, they have to rebuild from the ground up, and they have to find the right combination of people. Until they find a combination that clicks (making money), the musical chairs will continue. This is not new, all stations make changes to their programs to increase ratings. The lower the ratings, the bigger the changes or cancellation.

I always felt that the old Tribune management always treated WPIX as a step child to WGN - Now, as was stated by new management, they plan to increase resources to WPIX to be as successful as WGN and KTLA, so I am looking forward for the changes.

Another point, I do see an improvement in the morning show, the pace is flowing nicely and the new additions seem to be working. I think the station is really trying - at least they are not killing their entire news operation like WWOR or no news at all like WPXN.

Finally, I am not defending them. I am just looking at both sides of the story. If Marysol was demoted from top rated program, I will be the first to say WTF -

First of all, realize that the parent company is coming out of chapter 9 bankruptcy. Second, they had extremely bad management that destroyed the entire station and news operations.

Yes, they have to rebuild from the ground up, and they have to find the right combination of people. Until they find a combination that clicks (making money), the musical chairs will continue. This is not new, all stations make changes to their programs to increase ratings. The lower the ratings, the bigger the changes or cancellation.

I always felt that the old Tribune management always treated WPIX as a step child to WGN - Now, as was stated by new management, they plan to increase resources to WPIX to be as successful as WGN and KTLA, so I am looking forward for the changes.

Another point, I do see an improvement in the morning show, the pace is flowing nicely and the new additions seem to be working. I think the station is really trying - at least they are not killing their entire news operation like WWOR or no news at all like WPXN.

Finally, I am not defending them. I am just looking at both sides of the story. If Marysol was demoted from top rated program, I will be the first to say WTF -

You don't have to remind me of the four-year chapter 11 craziness, and yes Channel 11 did get the short end of the stick, and I do feel that they will stay a status quo, where they will be moving folks around again, including the ones that's running the news department. And even if you remove Effron, bringing a similar person that won't do any different than him would make the station's credibility even worst. But at least WPIX is not like WFLD. Not in any strecth of the imagination.

I'm just stating that I support Marysol's decision to not deal have to deal with Channel 11 continued bullshit, that's all. She's better off doing better elsewhere and not in the hellholes of WPIX. Until they get better credibility & stability wise, they will stay a status quo. Nuff said.

You don't have to remind me of the four-year chapter 11 craziness, and yes Channel 11 did get the short end of the stick, and I do feel that they will stay a status quo, where they will be moving folks around again, including the ones that's running the news department. And even if you remove Effron, bringing a similar person that won't do any different than him would make the station's credibility even worst. But at least WPIX is not like WFLD. Not in any strecth of the imagination.

I'm just stating that I support Marysol's decision to not deal have to deal with Channel 11 continued bullshit, that's all. She's better off doing better elsewhere and not in the hellholes of WPIX. Until they get better credibility & stability wise, they will stay a status quo. Nuff said.

And I think you ended with a great point. They aren't going to get loyal viewers if they change the teams every 6 months. You'll have the few that stayed with PIX and that's it. They need to choose a credible team and stick with it.

And I think you ended with a great point. They aren't going to get loyal viewers if they change the teams every 6 months. You'll have the few that stayed with PIX and that's it. They need to choose a credible team and stick with it.

If the Suki and Kori based team does well in the ratings, then I'm fine with it and I think they should stick with it. But the whole Marysol and Dan thing is very debatable. So I'm not defending either side. Yes, Marysol and Dan definitely could of had more time to warm up to viewers, but if the show isn't making money, why even have it on and waste money? Now, again, if Suki and Kori works out, as much as I don't like them, I'll be happy for them. But right now something tells me that PIX will not do well with this change, but who knows. But I agree with both CircleSeven and BehindNYNews, they need stability and credibility. Now stability obviously takes time, but credibility, while it is a long term goal, can happen quicker. This is the next step for Suki and Kori, to gain credibility, which I think they do have and can easily accomplish, but aren't showing it (if you know what I mean). But once again, it all starts with the management. Just saying.

I wouldn't consider a station doing what they need to do (making money) bullshit. Yes, It was Marysol's decision to leave the channel, but WPIX did offer her a position, so they are not exactly bad guys.

I wouldn't consider a station doing what they need to do (making money) bullshit. Yes, It was Marysol's decision to leave the channel, but WPIX did offer her a position, so they are not exactly bad guys.

Well you call it as you see it, and I'll call it as I see it. A spade is a spade. And I have no regrets for what I've said.

So take that for what it's worth. Send it to the cleaners.

Well you call it as you see it, and I'll call it as I see it. A spade is a spade. And I have no regrets for what I've said.

So take that for what it's worth. Send it to the cleaners.

Well, if you were paying money out your own pocket, and losing money in the process, you would not make changes? Nonsense

I have a question. If it's about loosing money why are Kori and Suki still there? They're still being cremated by FOX5. The ONLY reason they did a little ok in May is cause they gave away lots of money in that contest. They have money to do that but can't put a quality newscast together. Dan and Marysol were on earlier of course ratings are gonna be lower at 4am. I'm happy Marysol didn't take their offer she deserves to be anchor. The ones I feel sorry for are Lisa Mateo and Linda Church who've been there the entire time. They deserve better. I want them to move stations.

Well, if you were paying money out your own pocket, and losing money in the process, you would not make changes? Nonsense

I didn't say that. You did. If you're so hung dry about making money and shit, why they didn't eliminate Sukanya instead of Marysol? Huh?!!! If you eliminate her, that would really be problem solved in the expenses department. Take that for what it's worth.

I have a question. If it's about loosing money why are Kori and Suki still there? They're still being cremated by FOX5. The ONLY reason they did a little ok in May is cause they gave away lots of money in that contest. They have money to do that but can't put a quality newscast together. Dan and Marysol were on earlier of course ratings are gonna be lower at 4am. I'm happy Marysol didn't take their offer she deserves to be anchor. The ones I feel sorry for are Lisa Mateo and Linda Church who've been there the entire time. They deserve better. I want them to move stations.

So they spend all of that revenue dollars on a contest, and they still haven't maintain its viewership. It's shocking that this station had all this promise, and it feels like they while they're taking one step forward, they taking three steps back. They are due for a management change pronto, before it gets any worse.

If they could just flip a switch, clean house and get new management, I guarantee the product would be better. I wish there was some machine that could rewind PIX back in time to like 2009 and would of just built on that product. Bring back Jim and Kaity! OK, i'm intentionally doing this to get on everyone's nerves, I know this is going nowhere and I know I'm spouting complete nonsense so I'll stop. :)

Back to what you were saying, PIX really does have some of the nicest talent. Since their revamped show wasn't bad, I tweeted out to the talent that they did a great job. Although some of the talent did retweet what I said, Lisa took the time to respond to me and tell me that she appreciates my support. Honestly, I like everybody but the select few I have mentioned and they will remain anonymous (I've mentioned them too many times by now).

But I also want to comment on a post that I believe dabx made a while ago about launching a show with Suki, Chris Knowles and Scott Stanford. Suki and Scott would probably get along well and Chris Knowles is a weather person and is always funny. Not exactly what I want to happen, but it may do well if that happens. But right now, all we are doing is brainstorming ideas for what they can do to gain ratings. And if they really insist on keeping Suki, they have to get a different co-anchor. I actually like Kori, but he and Suki seem like they don't even speak to eachother outside of the broadcast. I really don't see Suki and Kori working at all. Sorry if anyone finds this offensive, but I believe the reason Suki and Kori are still there is that the management makes stupid decisions. Sorry but that's all I can think of.

I didn't say that. You did. If you're so hung dry about making money and shit, why they didn't eliminate Sukanya instead of Marysol? Huh?!!! If you eliminate her, that would really be problem solved in the expenses department. Take that for what it's worth.

So they spend all of that revenue dollars on a contest, and they still haven't maintain its viewership. It's shocking that this station had all this promise, and it feels like they while they're taking one step forward, they taking three steps back. They are due for a management change pronto, before it gets any worse.

Just wanted to say that's the same exact thing I said a while ago even before all of these massive changes. They take one step forward (bringing back John Muller, new graphics, "old" music) and then takes like 3 steps back (getting rid of Marysol & Dan, eliminating the 4am hour of news, keeping Suki and Kori in not a more limited role but in a more EXPANDED role.)

FOX5 is cremating everyone. And yes, they did ok in May, but for only the Kori and Suki portion segments ( I believe they were tied with WCBS). Dan/Marysol had some ratings at 4, but had nothing after 4:30 when the other stations came on. As for the contest, if you really think about it, it worked - they did get the some increase in rating, but not for Dan/Marysol. And spending money on a contest is no different than spending money on a ad on a bus.

BTW - I have nothing against Dan and Marysol - I think that they are both great news people. And I wish Marysol would have decided to stayed with the station, maybe they would have eventually found another position (beside reporter) in the future.

If they could just flip a switch, clean house and get new management, I guarantee the product would be better. I wish there was some machine that could rewind PIX back in time to like 2009 and would of just built on that product. Bring back Jim and Kaity! OK, i'm intentionally doing this to get on everyone's nerves, I know this is going nowhere and I know I'm spouting complete nonsense so I'll stop. :)

Back to what you were saying, PIX really does have some of the nicest talent. Since their revamped show wasn't bad, I tweeted out to the talent that they did a great job. Although some of the talent did retweet what I said, Lisa took the time to respond to me and tell me that she appreciates my support. Honestly, I like everybody but the select few I have mentioned and they will remain anonymous (I've mentioned them too many times by now).

But I also want to comment on a post that I believe dabx made a while ago about launching a show with Suki, Chris Knowles and Scott Stanford. Suki and Scott would probably get along well and Chris Knowles is a weather person and is always funny. Not exactly what I want to happen, but it may do well if that happens. But right now, all we are doing is brainstorming ideas for what they can do to gain ratings. And if they really insist on keeping Suki, they have to get a different co-anchor. I actually like Kori, but he and Suki seem like they don't even speak to eachother outside of the broadcast. I really don't see Suki and Kori working at all. Sorry if anyone finds this offensive, but I believe the reason Suki and Kori are still there is that the management makes stupid decisions. Sorry but that's all I can think of.

Yes, I agree with you 100% in points 1 and 2 and I did make the comment for the Stanford/Suki/Knowles.

Yes, i wish we could turn back the clock to the good old days, but unfortunately the ship has been torpedo by management between that time and now. Now they are trying to fix a severely damage boat while still in the water. Old management let key people go, and new management to trying to hire qualified people. I can see how the new management is having a hard time hiring talented people to the station while the situation is unstable in all areas of the newscast. Working in the number 1 market can be a incentive to work here, but in these times, if you have steady employment, you might think twice.

About the people at WPIX: I worked for years in the Daily News Building and I met and had conversions with almost all of the staff while waiting for coffee or lunch in the building and they are all really nice people when they get to know you. Suki is a very nice person and she is a very good news person, especially on breaking news stories, but she can also be over the top and funny when she ad-libs which is good for a TV personally but not for a newswomen. She probably would great in a "the view" type format where the show is about a discussion of the news/entertainment, but not a strict news program.

Kori Chambers is a good news anchor, but can tell he is really uncomfortable when he tries to be over the top. John Muller was excellent with Suki, he just smiled or rolled his eyes to her antics - which was perfect - you can't two over the top people at the same time.

---

Now, my take on stability: Yes, it is important for for a station to have stability. You want to present a product that the viewer feel comfortable with. But if you have a stable line up and no one watching, what is the point. They decided to stay with the Suki/Kori line up because the ratings went up, so they stayed with the combo (stability) that showed promise. Stability only happens when something shows promise or something really works well. WABC has a very stable line up because it works very well. The Couch was stable with it's people but was cancelled because no one watch. Why should WPIX be criticized cutting 1 hour for the same reason? At least they did not dump the entire newscast.

Archived