Whoa! Fox wants KCPQ!?

Samantha

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wouldn't it make more sense to swap both KCPQ and KXJO for WPWR? Just a thought...

Anyway, this is pretty BIG news here. KCPQ's agreement with Fox runs through 6/30/16. So, Fox must have a "plan B" up their sleave that they feel confident about. And, best I know unless KCPQ is somehow in breach of their agreement there is only one way Fox can terminate early...You can ask WCCB what that is if you need help.

I feel confident enough to say it now that Fox will own a station in Seattle within the next 6 months.

The only station I can think of that Fox might make a play on would be CBS's KSTW. That station has been a white elephant for CBS for quite a while.

It's too bad that the Carolina Panthers are in the NFC....and that they're doing well.....

Otherwise, the fine people of Charlotte would still have WCCB as their FOX station, and not the monstrosity they have today with WJZY and all that has happened there in the past 6 months.

As for Memphis, I'd love to see what it takes for FOX to finally pull out of that market. Tribune's out of the question since they own WREG, and the same issue with LocalTV pulled the plug on the last sale attempt.

A Media General trade could make sense....

WCCB would not have necessarily remained with Fox. If FTS hadn't wanted WJZY/WMYT then they probably would have excercised an option to buy several Sinclair stations, WLFL/WRDC in Raleigh being one of them. Which would have resulted in Capitol losing Fox in Raleigh (WRAZ). MAYBE Fox would have signed on with WJZY as a Capitol-owned Fox affiliate in return for losing Fox in Raleigh. Capitol might have pushed hard for the Fox affiliation for WJZY. Certainly would have been a better news product. WCCB's Fox affiliation contract was to run out June 30, 2013 anyway. In reality, Capitol got to keep Fox in Raleigh in return for selling WJZY/WMYT to FTS.

I thought Fox was selling their O&O to Cox in Memphis as part of the Cox-Fox swap?

I thought Fox was selling their O&O to Cox in Memphis as part of the Cox-Fox swap?

The Fox/Cox swap between KTVU/KICU & WFXT/WHBQ is still on. They're just waiting for the FCC greenlight, which should be any day now.

But damn, Fox is really desparate to acquire KCPQ to just say we're terminating your Fox affiliate. And what if Tribune don't want to sell KCPQ to them, I'm not sure if any other station is willing to sell their station to Fox.

What I'm really concern is when they'll going to announce a new TV deal with the Cubs, which I think that will fall on the outcome of this situation. Of course, the swap may not even happen, and the Q13 could still lose its Fox affiliation & the Cubs could move to Fox next season. That would still be a win-win for Fox.

I wonder if Tribune is holding out for a bigger station/market. If I were Tribune I'd demand nothing less than a WJBK in return. I would be shocked at this stage if Fox actually had a station in Seattle waiting in the wings for them; maybe KONG?

I wonder if Tribune is holding out for a bigger station/market. If I were Tribune I'd demand nothing less than a WJBK in return. I would be shocked at this stage if Fox actually had a station in Seattle waiting in the wings for them; maybe KONG?

My guess is that the backup plan is KIRO. Fox tried to buy them back in the 90's when their relationship with KCPQ was even more frosty than it is now.

It wouldn't shock me if Fox and Cox were discussing that possible scenerio when they were working on their trade to get KTVU.

I wouldn't be suprised if Fox was looking at getting KIRO and maybe buy KSTW from CBS to twinstick and become MyNet. But a bigger question would be if Fox would want a weak CBS affiliate to turn into Fox. Plus, if Les refuses to sell KSTW and trades in the CW for CBS, then KCPQ will either have to join the CW or let KONG take the CW and become independent.

Hopefully CBS learned its lesson during the two-year period that KSTW was the market's CBS affiliate. That was quite a disaster.

Any buyer or conversion for KSTW — whether that be KSTW taking on the market's CBS affiliation or Fox buying it as its new Seattle affiliate (I could see Les Moonves selling Seattle to buy somewhere else given his cap) — must start a news department. If the new news department is launched by Fox expect a West Coast WJZY.

It is also worth noting that TVNewsCheck's expanded article on the topic incorrectly claims Fox would be giving Tribune WFLD, which as the Post article states is not the case.

If Fox were to buy KIRO from Cox, I suspect that KCPQ would be first in line for an affiliation.

Is this 2014 or 1994?

I don't see why Fox doesn't swap KRIV/KTXH to Tribune for KCPQ/KJZO (Tribune would then sell KIAH). That seems like the more logical choice.

They would need to involve a third party in order to facilitate the sale of KIAH.

Wouldn't it make more sense to swap both KCPQ and KZJO for WPWR? Just a thought...The only station I can think of that Fox might make a play on would be CBS's KSTW. That station has been a white elephant for CBS for quite a while.

I've seen the proposed swap reported both with and without KZJO. I brought it up early in this thread that Tribune may still want to keep a presence in Seattle. And, a few duopolies have been broken up over the last year as a result of a sale. Plus, Tribune operates a stand alone MNT station, WPHL in Philly. So, it's possible I guess.

Strong-arm tactics, for sure... but I think Tribune will give in. It's not a fair trade in my opinion. KCPQ oversees some aspects of KRCW in Portland as well.

It's standard Fox Tactics. If you know anyone at your Seattle sister station I'd be curious what the chatter is there.

Slightly OT but to those of you still wondering how Fox wrestled KTVU away from Cox here is your template. I know a couple people myself included brought this up in that thread at the time. The only difference is Cox is private so, we are privvy to a little more here. But, you can bet your bottom dollar this is exactly how the KTVU deal played out.

This article says WFLD. http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/79502/fox-nfl-strategy-drives-seattle-affiliate-grab

Makes more sense except that they would be trading one NFC market for another. Wonder if this is a misprint? Seems like KRIV in AFC Houston would make the most sense.

They would need to involve a third party in order to facilitate the sale of KIAH.

I've seen the proposed swap reported both with and without KZJO. I brought it up early in this thread that Tribune may still want to keep a presence in Seattle. And, a few duopolies have been broken up over the last year as a result of a sale. Plus, Tribune operates a stand alone MNT station, WPHL in Philly. So, it's possible I guess.

It's standard Fox Tactics. If you know anyone at your Seattle sister station I'd be curious what the chatter is there.

Slightly OT but to those of you still wondering how Fox wrestled KTVU away from Cox here is your template. I know a couple people myself included brought this up in that thread at the time. The only difference is Cox is private so, we are privvy to a little more here. But, you can bet your bottom dollar this is exactly how the KTVU deal played out.

Seems like Tribune is playing more hard ball with Fox than Cox did. Fox never threatened to pull the affiliation from KTVU.

Seems like Tribune is playing more hard ball with Fox than Cox did. Fox never threatened to pull the affiliation from KTVU.

With so many FOX affiliates, Tribune can afford to play hardball- but not for too long. FOX should include KTBC or WOFL in addition to WPWR for a KCPQ trade.

This article says WFLD. http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/79502/fox-nfl-strategy-drives-seattle-affiliate-grab

Makes more sense except that they would be trading one NFC market for another. Wonder if this is a misprint? Seems like KRIV in AFC Houston would make the most sense.

Yes, it's a misprint. They likely saw a Fox-owned Chicago station and assumed 'FLD.

I'm sure Cox would not hang up the phone if Fox wanted to discuss trading KIRO for either Houston or Orlando. Cox has radio stations in both places.

If KIRO were to go to Fox, I would not be shocked if Gannett makes a push to get CBS for KONG, before the FCC makes any more rule changes. Would be a nice addition for their new facility. Having control of Thursday Night Football, Sunday Night Football and a couple Seahawk games against AFC teams isn't a bad consolation prize.

I'm sure Cox would not hang up the phone if Fox wanted to discuss trading KIRO for either Houston or Orlando. Cox has radio stations in both places.

If KIRO were to go to Fox, I would not be shocked if Gannett makes a push to get CBS for KONG, before the FCC makes any more rule changes. Would be a nice addition for their new facility.

Cox already has a duopoly in Orlando but Houston could work for Cox IF it evens out in the end.

Sorry about the double post, writing this in the car. I was going to mention that WOFL can't go to Cox because they already own WFTV and WRDQ. Houston would make sense, though.

That you or I know of. The only reason we know about Tribune is they are a public company and have to disclose major events. If Tribune were private like Cox is we likely wouldn't have had today's press release. You're welcome to disagree with me but, I'm of the opinion that Cox got the same (or, similar) ultimatum.

With so many FOX affiliates, Tribune can afford to play hardball- but not for too long. FOX should include KTBC or WOFL in addition to WPWR for a KCPQ trade.

With the "UHF Discount" NPRM twisting in the wind Tribune can't risk taking on any more markets. Fox & Tribune only have few options for a swap.

Archived