Whoa! Fox wants KCPQ!?

Samantha

http://seattle.cbslocal.com/ here's the CBS Seattle website (odd didn't think a non-owned station would have a website like this but whatever) at the top you can see the CW11/KSTW branding.

All CBS/CW O&Os and CBS Radio stations with spoken word formats (all-news, news/talk or all-sports) use the same multi-station portal. CBSSeattle.com also is home to "1090 The Fan," CBS' all-sports outlet in the Seattle market.

http://cleveland.cbslocal.com serves as the website for WKRK/92.3 "The Fan"... and that's it.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, I realize that, as I stated they would trade it. You have to own it to trade it!

CBS would be happy to move the CW affiliation in Seattle to a Tribune-owned station there. First off, it's a CW O&O, not a CBS O&O. Second, they don't own the CBS affiliate in Seattle, so no duopoly. Third, Tribune owns a nice amount of big market non-O&Os CW affiliates. Lastly, they'd be fixing the problem in Detroit, while arguably not really losing anything in Seattle (some would argue this would put them in a better position).

There's zero reason for CBS to move the CW affiliation away from KSTW. Absolutely zero.

Curious question. Do the stations that Fox got from New World get a different kind of treatment than the non-New World stations get?

Seems like stations like KDFW, WJBK, WTVT run differently than stations like WTXF, KRIV, and WOFL do.

FTS ranks their stations on a scale. It's convoluted. But, to the best of my knowledge they take stations ranking in market, market size, etc. and then use that info to rank all of the stations in the group top to bottom. Your staffing level is then determined by where you fall in the "rankings". If your "ranking" only calls for "x" number for this position or that position then that's all you get...even if you can find money in your budget to add another position. I shared a story here several months ago about how KMSP had to basically fight to get a "4th" meteorologist back in the fold and was only able to do so by dumping the weekend morning co-anchor position. That's just the way they choose to run things.

Most of the old New World stations had well established newsrooms and were able to maintain their position(s) in the marketplace in the immediate aftermath of the switch. And, over the years they have been able to maintain that strong position in each of their markets. Since, these stations tend to rate higher in their market that helps them get higher "ranking" in the FTS world. So, their staffing will be higher do to the higher "ranking" in the group. Basically, the fatal flaw with the system is that the bottom feeders will likely always stay there because they will never cash or staffing needed to improve their standing in the market due to their low group "ranking". That's my observation at least.

FTS ranks their stations on a scale. It's convoluted. But, to the best of my knowledge they take stations ranking in market, market size, etc. and then use that info to rank all of the stations in the group top to bottom. Your staffing level is then determined by where you fall in the "rankings". If your "ranking" only calls for "x" number for this position or that position then that's all you get...even if you can find money in your budget to add another position. I shared a story here several months ago about how KMSP had to basically fight to get a "4th" meteorologist back in the fold and was only able to do so by dumping the weekend morning co-anchor position. That's just the way they choose to run things.

Most of the old New World stations had well established newsrooms and were able to maintain their position(s) in the marketplace in the immediate aftermath of the switch. And, over the years they have been able to maintain that strong position in each of their markets. Since, these stations tend to rate higher in their market that helps them get higher "ranking" in the FTS world. So, their staffing will be higher do to the higher "ranking" in the group. Basically, the fatal flaw with the system is that the bottom feeders will likely always stay there because they will never [get the] cash or staffing needed to improve their standing in the market due to their low group "ranking". That's my observation at least.

I have to second this with regards to the former New World stations. For example, I've noticed from my travels and, of course, living in Atlanta that WAGA is, graphics and music aside, very different from KTTV, WTXF and WNYW (and similar to WTVT) in presentation and content. My guess is that Fox, upon acquiring the NW stations, didn't have to do much; the stations had preexisting news operations that had solid positions, talent, and infrastructure. Thus, all Fox had to do was change the branding at the newly acquired stations and pour more resources into expanding their news operations. At least that's how I understand it.

I'd like to think that an acquisition of KCPQ by Fox would have the same result, as KCPQ already has good bones and a well-run news operation. Of course, I could be wrong and something horrible that ruins KCPQ's reputation could happen post-acquisition, but I don't see that happening.

I think it depends on how well the stain competes against its rivals, ratings wise. Others may be able to come in here. I know Dallas comes in at #1 or #2 regularly, but I can't speak for Tampa or Detroit.

Being #1 of #2 has advantages in terms of ad dollars which translates into more money for the newsroom budget.

So in a way, the answer to that is yes.

WJBK is 3rd overall in Detroit. News wise it wins the mornings and is the only 10pm newscast so that's a default win. 5 and 6pm are a distant third and only got worse as has their entire news product in the last few months. It's a crappy operation which has been gutted but was never that strong and has always been a third place station in the market.

I have to second this with regards to the former New World stations. For example, I've noticed from my travels and, of course, living in Atlanta that WAGA is, graphics and music aside, very different from KTTV, WTXF and WNYW (and similar to WTVT) in presentation and content. My guess is that Fox, upon acquiring the NW stations, didn't have to do much; the stations had preexisting news operations that had solid positions, talent, and infrastructure. Thus, all Fox had to do was change the branding at the newly acquired stations and pour more resources into expanding their news operations. At least that's how I understand it.

The Fox affiliation switch actually made some of the New World stations into underperformers. KSAZ's ratings took a tumble, and their 9pm news for the first few years was not doing well at all. For a couple years after the switch took place the stations looked very traditional, even undistinguishable from Big Three stations. It wasn't until Fox bought them and needed to make them stronger that they really began to feel Fox-y.

It's too bad that the Carolina Panthers are in the NFC....and that they're doing well.....

Otherwise, the fine people of Charlotte would still have WCCB as their FOX station, and not the monstrosity they have today with WJZY and all that has happened there in the past 6 months.

As for Memphis, I'd love to see what it takes for FOX to finally pull out of that market. Tribune's out of the question since they own WREG, and the same issue with LocalTV pulled the plug on the last sale attempt.

A Media General trade could make sense....

Most of the old New World stations had well established newsrooms and were able to maintain their position(s) in the marketplace in the immediate aftermath of the switch. And, over the years they have been able to maintain that strong position in each of their markets. Since, these stations tend to rate higher in their market that helps them get higher "ranking" in the FTS world. So, their staffing will be higher do to the higher "ranking" in the group. Basically, the fatal flaw with the system is that the bottom feeders will likely always stay there because they will never cash or staffing needed to improve their standing in the market due to their low group "ranking". That's my observation at least.

You obviously have far more detail about how corporate ranks the O&Os, but it squares with my understanding.

From our old news director (now Chicago's problem) I learned Houston falls between Atlanta and Minneapolis on that scale (as of late 2012): 1 more newsroom staffer than KMSP 1 fewer than WAGA.

Where we fall overall I couldn't begin to guess.

You obviously have far more detail about how corporate ranks the O&Os, but it squares with my understanding.

From our old news director (now Chicago's problem) I learned Houston falls between Atlanta and Minneapolis on that scale (as of late 2012): 1 more newsroom staffer than KMSP 1 fewer than WAGA.

That happened with us too, when we (WDAF) were part of the FOX O&O group. Our ranking essentially equaled Milwaukee, so we had to have the same head count (+/- 1), even though we had at the time more newscasts and covered many, many more square miles than WITI.

One of our former producers now works at KCPQ. I'll have to ask him what the mood is like today.

As for Memphis, I'd love to see what it takes for FOX to finally pull out of that market. Tribune's out of the question since they own WREG, and the same issue with LocalTV pulled the plug on the last sale attempt.

A Media General trade could make sense....

I think the only way that would happen is via a three-way trade between Fox, Tribune, and Lin/MG. The question would then be "Which Lin/MG station would Tribune be interested in?"

Personally, I think a trade with Meredith would probably work too, but only if Fox had an interest in one of their stations.

I think the only way that would happen is via a three-way trade between Fox, Tribune, and Lin/MG. The question would then be "Which Lin/MG station would Tribune be interested in?"

Personally, I think a trade with Meredith would probably work too, but only if Fox had an interest in one of their stations.

Well, KVVU houses master control for all the Fox O&Os...

Oops... Did I say too much? I don't think I'm giving away company secrets here. It's not like I'm giving away their "magic formula"...not that I know what it is. Heck, for all I know they could be throwing darts at a dartboard for all I know.

Their "ranking" system isn't terrible. It works for fine for running an overall lean operation. But, as stated the fatal flaw is bottom feeders are destined to stay bottom feeders. That is unless your station somehow busts their rear to move up in the group "ranking" allowing them a bit more staff and a bigger budget. And, it's clear they don't take into account local factors like DMA size or if you are able to stretch your budget....TheRob kind helped confirm this point, too. It's like they determine staffing for the group as a whole and then divvy up the "staffing pie" amongst the stations...and their is seemingly no deviating from the staffing number(s). It is what is, though.

Well, KVVU houses master control for all the Fox O&Os...

Actually, the FOX O&O's operate from a seperate facility in the Vegas area. KVVU's MC is at KPHO.

The MC hub for Fox's O&O's is colocated at the Switch data center in Las Vegas.

In fairness for several years I was under the impression it was located within or, adjacent to KVVU's facility, too. Sort of like the arrangement with WCNC & NBC News Channel being "next door" to each other. But, that isn't the case.

Part of me would want to say KRON as combined with KTLA, KTXL, and KSWB would make a great statewide asset. But that would bring its own problems.

How about whichever Providence and Green Bay stations that LIN/MG can't keep? Green Bay makes sense with WITI down the road and Providence fits with WTIC/WCCT and their stations points south. Less of a fit than before the Inside Track gals forced Ed Asnin to make an offer Tribune couldn't refuse though.

• 3 months later...

The New York Post this morning is reporting that Fox is in more advanced stages of the KCPQ/WPWR swap. However, talks were still continuing and Tribune had not yet given final approval.

Obviously, I'm biased, but I'm definitely more curious as to how Tribune would handle the WPWR acquisition and the concept of a duopoly in their flagship market. I don't think there are as many variables and questions on the KCPQ/Fox transition.

Obviously, I'm biased, but I'm definitely more curious as to how Tribune would handle the WPWR acquisition and the concept of a duopoly in their flagship market. I don't think there are as many variables and questions on the KCPQ/Fox transition.

I've read that FOX is bullish to get Q13 or yank affiliation. If that's the case, assuming, would Tribune be that foolish or bold to lose FOX elsewhere, and if so, where else to go?

The New York Post this morning is reporting that Fox is in more advanced stages of the KCPQ/WPWR swap. However, talks were still continuing and Tribune had not yet given final approval.

First, I know it's the Post so maybe I should lower my expectations a little. But, comparing what is rumored to be happening with KCPQ & WPWR to WTTV & WISH is doing a disservice to the reader. Wouldn't it be more analogous to compare the Cox & Fox station swap to this proposed swap between Tribune & Fox?

Now that I got that off my chest. I think if one were to go back and reread my posts they'd find I've been pretty consistent in my belief that Fox wants into SF & Seattle. Of course one of those is now in the process of happening. And, I have also stated I feel there is some steam to this Tribune & Fox deal.

I think this rumored swap has a lot of moving parts. The newspapers needed to be spun off in order for Tribune to have a Chicago duopoly. That is now done. Tribune is limited in what they can swap for with the "UHF Discount" NPRM hanging out there. And, for whatever reason this whole thing seems to be intertwined with the Cubs "OTA" TV deal. With the season coming to a close things I believe things will start to become much more clear.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/tribune-media-comments-on-kcpq-fox-affiliate-in-seattle-276478531.html

Highly unusual to see a press release during ongoing discussions.

Well, this is gaining in traction. Keep in mind exactly who has been reporting this in terms of reliable sources: the Chicago Tribune and the New York Post. They may be split now from their TV counterparts but that has to count for something.

It also says this:

Fox has sent to Tribune a notice of termination of the Seattle affiliation agreement effective January 17, 2015.

This is a Saturday. It is worth noting that the next day is the NFC Championship Game — Sunday, January 18.

I'd like to retract my bashing of the NY Post in my last post. Their story makes a little bit more sense now that Tribune released this press release.

Tribune is still technically a public company. So, they have to disclose major events that effect the value of the company. Fox sending a notice of termination for KCPQ would fall in that catagory.

Anyway, this is pretty BIG news here. KCPQ's agreement with Fox runs through 6/30/16. So, Fox must have a "plan B" up their sleave that they feel confident about. And, best I know unless KCPQ is somehow in breach of their agreement there is only one way Fox can terminate early...You can ask WCCB what that is if you need help.

I feel confident enough to say it now that Fox will own a station in Seattle within the next 6 months.

Archived