Whoa! Fox wants KCPQ!?

Samantha

Buried in a subscription-only article in the Chicago Tribune about the Cubs possibly leaving WGN-TV, which speculates about Fox possibly being a bidder and putting the games on WPWR, is this paragraph:

Complicating matters, industry sources say Fox Television Stations Group may be looking at "trading" WPWR in Chicago for KCPQ-TV, Tribune Co.'s Fox affiliate in Seattle. Currently prohibited by Federal Communications Commission cross-ownership restrictions, Tribune Co. could own a TV duopoly in Chicago after the planned midyear spinoff of its newspaper holdings, which include the Chicago Tribune.

Despite regulatory hurdles, Tribune Co. tried to buy WPWR in 2002 but was among several bidders that lost out to Fox, which acquired the station from Chicago-based Newsweb Corp. for $425 million.

A Tribune Co. spokesman declined to comment on the possible station swap, as did a spokesman for Fox.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am BEYOND intrigued about the prospect of a Trib duopoly in Chicago. There's too many 'what if's to consider on that side of a possible deal...

• What becomes of the MyTV affiliation?
  • Would WGN somehow connect this to a Cubs renewal?
  • Could WPWR become a CW dumping ground?
  • Does WCIU lose its sports broadcasts?

This would be really interesting for both sides, but much like the future existence of WGWG/87.7 The Game in Chicago, it all still hinges on the dumping of the newspapers.

Tribune has tried to buy WPWR in the past...

It didn't strike me as being very useful to them then, at least, considering The WB's light schedule, and I don't know if that would have changed in the intervening years...

After hearing some of Trib's ambitious ideas, and seeing what they've done with the radio station(s), I have a feeling they could do more with a second station now than 12 years ago...even if TV is "dying".

So does this mean if the deal goes through, KCPQ will become a FOX owned station? If so I'm all for it enjoy the FOX owned stations websites better then the tribune websites. Guess this will also mean they will now call it FOX 13 news (If it goes through lol)

Here's the article:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-cubs-television-0605-biz-20140605,0,3232030,print.story

It was brought up in relation to the Cubs possibly teaming up with Fox to start a new sports channel. I would be pretty shocked of that actually considering how the Cubs and the rest of the sports teams in Chicago ditched Fox Sports Chicago to start up a joint operation with Comcast which resulted in Fox Sports Chicago folding up. I would be pretty shocked if anyone else but Comcast got the rights to the Cubs.

And especially if the rumors are true, I think Fox would find KCPQ more valuable than starting up a channel with the Cubs. Although I'd hate to see the Q13 branding go away.

So does this mean if the deal goes through, KCPQ will become a FOX owned station? If so I'm all for it enjoy the FOX owned stations websites better then the tribune websites. Guess this will also mean they will now call it FOX 13 news (If it goes through lol)

Yep.

Hopefully they don't do much with Q13 besides the regular standardizations and keep the crazy experiments that Fox O&O's like to do sometimes to a minimum.

I wouldn't be surprised in the least if the Seahawks played a large part in Fox's reasons for wanting KCPQ.

Considering they're the Super Bowl champs and were a ratings bonanza for KCPQ, I can't say that I blame them. However if the team goes downhill again, so will the ratings.

Yep.

Hopefully they don't do much with Q13 besides the regular standardizations and keep the crazy experiments that Fox O&O's like to do sometimes to a minimum.

Ah thanks for that. What do the FOX owned stations regular standardizations entail?

Ah thanks for that. What do the FOX owned stations regular standardizations entail?

Branding.

As I said, the Q13 branding will go away and be called Fox 13. They would also get the O&O graphics package and music as well. I think there are some segments done by Fox News and Fox Business that O&O's are required to air (Cavuto does some business report that I've seen O&O's air...not sure if they still do though), but they don't do that as much as other station groups do.

There maybe internal changes as well but I really don't know how differently Fox Television Stations Group runs their newsrooms compared to Tribune.

Branding.

As I said, the Q13 branding will go away and be called Fox 13. They would also get the O&O graphics package and music as well. I think there are some segments done by Fox News and Fox Business that O&O's are required to air (Cavuto does some business report that I've seen O&O's air...not sure if they still do though), but they don't do that as much as other station groups do.

There maybe internal changes as well but I really don't know how differently Fox Television Stations Group runs their newsrooms compared to Tribune.

Fox runs lean newsrooms, from what I've heard (and if Tim comes in he will agree with that statement). I've heard KSAZ gets only two local reporters for nighttime news coverage. And yes, KSAZ still airs (at 9pm) the "Your World with Cavuto" report that features the last-generation Fox News Channel graphics.

Branding.

Okay thanks for the that. Now I'm not sure all FOX owned stations have this; (WNYW & WXTF) have a 6pm newscast; could possibly a 6pm newscast be launched if and when FOX takes over KCPQ?

Tribune does own, with exclusion to KTVU and WSVN, all of the non-O&O Fox affiliates in the Top 20 markets.

What surprises me is... why not trade both KCPQ and KXJO? And you have to wonder if WPHL also factors in the mix.

And this could be why KCPQ didn't get the Tribune Fox standardization graphics, but a refresh of their existing package.

Tribune does own, with exclusion to KTVU and WSVN, all of the non-O&O Fox affiliates in the Top 20 markets.

What surprises me is... why not trade both KCPQ and KXJO? And you have to wonder if WPHL also factors in the mix.

And this could be why KCPQ didn't get the Tribune Fox standardization graphics, but a refresh of their existing package.

I brought this up in the other thread this morning. But, I presume Tribune wants to maintain a presence in Seattle. They have very few holes in the "top" markets. I doubt they want to create one in Seattle. Having a stations in almost every major market provides huge leverage with syndicators and allows for groupwide ad sales. Not to mention Tribune is getting back in the programming arena. And, they will need to have places to clear it if they want to make headway.

I wonder if the "UHF discount" NPRM hanging out there might be complicating matters as well.

Fox runs lean newsrooms, from what I've heard (and if Tim comes in he will agree with that statement). I've heard KSAZ gets only two local reporters for nighttime news coverage. And yes, KSAZ still airs (at 9pm) the "Your World with Cavuto" report that features the last-generation Fox News Channel graphics.

Very lean. Though it may also depend on their market ranking (relative to their competitors) and ad billing each station generates. KRIV is 4th of the 4 English language stations. KDFW battles it out for #1. Guess which station has a bigger budget.

Without knowing the inner workings of KCPQ, I would speculate the first thing that would be cut would likely be on the technical production & engineering side (directors, in house graphics, camera ops) as the station moves toward automation, hubbed graphics and hubbed master control (If they're not already there).

Next would be any duplicate functions in the newsroom. If photogs aren't already pulling double duty as live truck operators, they will need to study up. If live truck ops don't know how to run a camera and edit, same thing. Still there will likely be some cuts there.

After that, core newsroom staffing comes under the microscope. Producers, associate producers, writers, assignment editors. I don't think reporters have to much to worry much about, unless there are to many bloated salaries.

Very lean. Though it may also depend on their market ranking (relative to their competitors) and ad billing each station generates. KRIV is 4th of the 4 English language stations. KDFW battles it out for #1. Guess which station has a bigger budget.

Curious question. Do the stations that Fox got from New World get a different kind of treatment than the non-New World stations get?

Seems like stations like KDFW, WJBK, WTVT run differently than stations like WTXF, KRIV, and WOFL do.

I would think Fox would have to give something more valuable than WPWR for KCPQ. Pure speculation here, but perhaps WJBK?

Wonder if CBS could play into the mix here? Like perhaps KSTW in Seattle to FOX for WJBK in Detroit to CBS? Only issue is where would FOX go to in Detroit, WMYD?

KCPQ could easily swap affiliations with KSTW and become the CW affiliate, which Tribune has many affiliates with.

KCPQ could easily swap affiliations with KSTW and become the CW affiliate, which Tribune has many affiliates with.

KSTW is owned by CBS. The CW is more at home there than it would be on KCPQ.

Wonder if CBS could play into the mix here? Like perhaps KSTW in Seattle to FOX for WJBK in Detroit to CBS? Only issue is where would FOX go to in Detroit, WMYD?

Fox won't sell an O&O to another network. Imagine all the far-ranging ramifications that took place when CBS sold WCAU to NBC, and those were all done for tax considerations. Even if Fox swaps WJBK to Tribune, a long-term affiliation pact will be written similar to the NBC Outlet Four and the LocalTV Fox affils, so WJBK will remain "Fox 2" for a long time to come.

And it will be far, far more likely that Tribune yanks the MyTV affiliations from KXJO and WPHL in several years for both to become independents, especially if Tribune ramps up their in-house production arm. Tribune owns most of the top CW affils, but are they really happy with the network?

KSTW is owned by CBS. The CW is more at home there than it would be on KCPQ.

Yes, I realize that, as I stated they would trade it. You have to own it to trade it!

CBS would be happy to move the CW affiliation in Seattle to a Tribune-owned station there. First off, it's a CW O&O, not a CBS O&O. Second, they don't own the CBS affiliate in Seattle, so no duopoly. Third, Tribune owns a nice amount of big market non-O&Os CW affiliates. Lastly, they'd be fixing the problem in Detroit, while arguably not really losing anything in Seattle (some would argue this would put them in a better position).

Yes, I realize that, as I stated they would trade it. You have to own it to trade it!

CBS would be happy to move the CW affiliation in Seattle to a Tribune-owned station there. First off, it's a CW O&O, not a CBS O&O. Second, they don't own the CBS affiliate in Seattle, so no duopoly. Third, Tribune owns a nice amount of big market non-O&Os CW affiliates. Lastly, they'd be fixing the problem in Detroit, while arguably not really losing anything in Seattle (some would argue this would put them in a better position).

CBS also has a standalone CW O&O in Atlanta, and they don't seem to mind.

And it has been speculated on this forum and elsewhere that Tribune may not want to retain the CW affils on any of their stations, thus calling the network's future into question. Tribune has no ownership stake in the CW, making those affils that CBS owns as the only ones that matter.

The CW would be better served remaining on KSTW.

Curious question. Do the stations that Fox got from New World get a different kind of treatment than the non-New World stations get?

Seems like stations like KDFW, WJBK, WTVT run differently than stations like WTXF, KRIV, and WOFL do.

I think it depends on how well the stain competes against its rivals, ratings wise. Others may be able to come in here. I know Dallas comes in at #1 or #2 regularly, but I can't speak for Tampa or Detroit.

Being #1 of #2 has advantages in terms of ad dollars which translates into more money for the newsroom budget.

So in a way, the answer to that is yes.

Archived