The Hearst Thread

aleckrohto

15 minutes ago, scrabbleship said:

Also, even with WMUR superserving New Hampshire it isn't like WCVB ignores it totally. More people in New Hampshire watch WCVB than you would think and even with the PBS example there wasn't some backlash, especially from WGBH supporters in New Hampshire, 

Did you mean to say there *was* some backlash from NH residents that lost WGBH?

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ScottJ said:

Comcast and Hearst have reached a new retrans deal covering the entire group, including the out-of-market stations that were scheduled to be dropped later this month. Those stations will remain on Comcast systems in the affected markets.

Glad I can continue watching WBAL when on vacation in Rehoboth or Ocean City.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

WYFF weekday morning anchor Geoff Hart announced that he has been diagnosed with early-onset Alzheimer’s disease and will not be returning to the station (effectively announcing his retirement from broadcasting). Hart has been with the station since 1993, serving as sports director before transferring to the news side in 2011 as anchor of WYFF News 4 Today. He had been on medical leave from the station since December.

• Sad 10

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Update to the Hearst Media Production Group news: the Litton name is being retired, as HMPG becomes a unified producer for all Hearst-derived TV programming. Litton's website now redirects to a subpage on Hearst's site. Three Litton alumi are taking executive roles in the new subsidiary (founder Dave Morgan and CCO Peter Sniderman retired at the end of last year):

• Former Litton CCO Bryan Curb is now executive vice president and general manager of E/I programming.
  • Angelica Rose McDaniel, formerly exectctive VP of strategy and creative development, will oversee entertainment.
  • Chris Matthews has been named CFO, more or less the same role he had before.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Adam MadMan said:

Update to the Hearst Media Production Group news: the Litton name is being retired, as HMPG becomes a unified producer for all Hearst-derived TV programming. Litton's website now redirects to a subpage on Hearst's site. Three Litton alumi are taking executive roles in the new subsidiary (founder Dave Morgan and CCO Peter Sniderman retired at the end of last year):

• Former Litton CCO Bryan Curb is now executive vice president and general manager of E/I programming.
  • Angelica Rose McDaniel, formerly exectctive VP of strategy and creative development, will oversee entertainment.
  • Chris Matthews has been named CFO, more or less the same role he had before.

The More You Know....thanks @Adam MadMan! And bye-bye, Litton Entertainment.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, LTSC1980 said:

Litton’s name may be retired, but E/I programming won’t ever get back to before. Thanks to streaming technology now kids have different way to enjoy

The FCC seems content with an obsolete and broken status quo regarding E/I and Hearst has a practical Industrial Complex to keep it alive because without it they'd be hosed.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, scrabbleship said:

The FCC seems content with an obsolete and broken status quo regarding E/I and Hearst has a practical Industrial Complex to keep it alive because without it they'd be hosed.

Nah, by broadening their umbrella beyond E/I, they're hedging that there's still schedule gaps on the weekends; eventually the E/I facade will die, but then they have hours and hours of programming appealing to older audiences that just needs the literal E/I Band-Aid ripped off the screen to fill the time on stations that don't have an NFL game.

Even the trades have long acknowledged no one over the age of 5 or under 50 is learning a thing from these shows or watching them seriously. It's a conveyance to offer products to seniors, and fills three hours that would otherwise go to news, infomercials, or much worse syndicated dregs (Allen Media, Associated Television, Telco, or A&E reality shows you already see on A&E).

Edited by mrschimpf

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

WBBH has updated it's website (NBC-2.COM) to the Hearst web platform as of today & Hearst Managed--WZVN has followed suite (ABC-7.COM).

Both stations dropped the Franke Media powered websites, that had been in use since 2016.

Edited by DENDude

2 hours ago, DENDude said:

WBBH has updated it's website (NBC-2.COM) to the Hearst web platform as of today & Hearst Managed--WZVN has followed suite (ABC-7.COM).

Both stations dropped the Franke Media powered websites, that had been in use since 2016.

They must be getting the triangle diagrid graphics in the next few months. Meanwhile, the new websites are definitely a huge improvement.

• Like 2

Good to see. That said, I was hoping Hearst would take the opportunity to reveal a new site design, but I guess they're keeping the current look for now.

The app icons did it aswell. To fact-check this (which I didn’t even know I needed to, and side note, I actually got onto the website to see if it was real), I saw the website and surprisingly got a big result that the app icons were the exact same. I checked my local station’s website to see if it was real, and there it was.

Here’s the KETV icon (and yes, I do have mobile)..

OmahaNewsWeatherandSports-NebraskaNews-KETVNewsWatch7.png.5dd7f88aea2472256e9fe14168b7ea5b.png

and here’s the WBBH (also applies to WZVN) icon.NewsandWeather-FloridaNews.png.e8feda4ce59d32fb7d4f51cfc949b1f4.png

Myth confirmed, I guess.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/17/2024 at 12:03 AM, Kyle R said:

New graphics used at start of tonight's WISN 10pm newscast. Nothing new after the opening package...

I would say that the L3s are definitely a little translucent now, and there is more motion in the L3s. Additionally, the diagrid seems to be blurred a bit as well Otherwise it is probably just a subtle update. The graphics certainly have aged well.

Edited by HSV cheesehead

Not sure if this is is a harbinger of new graphics... WISN has a very competent Creative Services team, and this is pre-produced. This seems in line with their recent promo work as well, and if you look closely, there are still a lot of the design language of the current "diagrid" package within those.

Plus, WISN has a history of straying from the standard graphics """mandate""", so...

• Like 7