The Hearst Thread

aleckrohto

This makes sense as WMTW & WPXT are currently roommates, yet aren't duopolies not allowed in Portland, ME. Should this go through, would Sinclair acquire WPFO?

The eight-voice test was eliminated when Pai changed the media ownership rules last year. That's how Hearst acquired WCWG from Lockwood.

I wouldn't be surprised if Hearst move MeTV to WMTW, relieving some of the clutter on WPXT.

The eight-voice test was eliminated when Pai changed the media ownership rules last year. That's how Hearst acquired WCWG from Lockwood.

I wouldn't be surprised if Hearst move MeTV to WMTW, relieving some of the clutter on WPXT.

I know this is not the speculation thread but...

8.1 = ABC

8.2 = Me-TV

8.3 = H&I

51.1 = CW

51.2 = MyTV

51.3 = Escape

51.4 = Laff

I may be wrong, but that's how I see it.

• Like 3

I know this is not the speculation thread but...

8.1 = ABC

8.2 = Me-TV

8.3 = H&I

51.1 = CW

51.2 = MyTV

51.3 = Escape

51.4 = Laff

I may be wrong, but that's how I see it.

They'll dump Escape and Laff first chance they get; those aren't networks Hearst has affiliations with solely for quality concerns, along with them being Scripps networks. I could see them also killing the "WPME" schedule off to remove the confusion of the Ion deal and move the 10 hours of dead weight to 51.1's overnights and bump it up to 1080i when they merge their MC in.

• Like 2

They'll dump Escape and Laff first chance they get; those aren't networks Hearst has affiliations with solely for quality concerns, along with them being Scripps networks. I could see them also killing the "WPME" schedule off to remove the confusion of the Ion deal and move the 10 hours of dead weight to 51.1's overnights.

True.

I could see them also killing the "WPME" schedule off to remove the confusion of the Ion deal and move the 10 hours of dead weight to 51.1's overnights and bump it up to 1080i when they merge their MC in.

That's probably what they should do (or they could also go the KCCI route and do a dual MNTV/H&I).

Just take a look at the "WPME" (51.3) schedule. The schedule has a lot of stuff that already airs on WPXT or their Me-TV subchannel. For instance, at 9AM "WPME" airs The Doctors, which is also seen at 2PM on WPXT. And they simulcast Me-TV from 11AM-3PM, then at 3PM they air The People's Court, which is already seen at noon on WPXT (although it appears to be a different episode that airs on "WPME", but still). Then at 7PM, leading into MNTV, they have M*A*S*H, which is also simulcast with Me-TV.

Only conflicts:

Orlando (WESH 2/WKCF 18 and WFTV 9/WRDQ 27)

Boston (WCVB 5/WMUR 9 and WFXT 25)

Pittsburgh (WTAE 4 and WPXI 11)

Which those sales should be easy ones AND this gives Hearst stations affiliated with Fox for the very first time

They'll dump Escape and Laff first chance they get; those aren't networks Hearst has affiliations with solely for quality concerns, along with them being Scripps networks. I could see them also killing the "WPME" schedule off to remove the confusion of the Ion deal and move the 10 hours of dead weight to 51.1's overnights and bump it up to 1080i when they merge their MC in.

Ok. Hearst did drop those networks off of WCWG. However, they left Bounce TV (also a Scripps network) on the lineup. Escape and Laff may stay for all we know.

Ok. Hearst did drop those networks off of WCWG. However, they left Bounce TV (also a Scripps network) on the lineup. Escape and Laff may stay for all we know.

Worth noting that’s likely because of bandwidth. WCWG shares spectrum WXII. They’re running two 1080i and two 480i channels

• Like 2

Big difference though is Bounce has a quality rep and original programming going for it, and an obvious viewership base in the market Hearst wouldn't ditch (thankfully Scripps isn't tinkering with that so far). Escape and Laff have none of that going for them and have little to no local advertisers wanting to burn money on those networks.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
It didn't waste anytime announcing its new 10pm show. It starts Monday!

And Hearst has rebranded its CW outlet as "Maine's CW".

I had a feeling it was coming. Really. Every duopoly that Hearst has, it produces news for its sister. Hearst takes advantage of its duopolies, just like Cox and unlike some other groups.

I had a feeling it was coming. Really. Every duopoly that Hearst has, it produces news for its sister. Hearst takes advantage of its duopolies, just like Cox and unlike some other groups.

And where they don't have a duopoly, they put the news on a subchannel, correct?

At least, that's how it is for WCVB and WMUR (which are technically a duopoly but serve different parts of the Boston DMA).

• Like 1

And where they don't have a duopoly, they put the news on a subchannel, correct?

At least, that's how it is for WCVB and WMUR (which are technically a duopoly but serve different parts of the Boston DMA).

Hearst too takes advantage of its subchannels to air more news.

• Me-TV is on and all have 10:00 p.m. ET/9:00 p.m. CT news except WAPT, WDSU, WVTM and WYFF:
    • KETV (.2)
    • KOCO (.2)
    • WAPT (.2)
    • WCVB (.2)
    • WMUR (.2)
    • WLKY (.2; with 7:00 a.m. morning news too)
    • KCCI (.2)
    • WBAL (.2)
    • WDSU (.2)
    • WGAL (.2)
    • WLWT (.2)
    • WPTZ (.3)
    • WVTM (.2)
    • WYFF (.2)

[*]The CW is on and has 10:00 p.m. ET/9:00 p.m. CT news:

• KHBS (.2) / KHOG (.2; with morning and weekend 5:00 p.m. news too)

[*]CozI TV is on and has 7:00 p.m. news there:

• WTAE (.2)

This post was just to make a point... Hearst uses its subchannels to its advantage to air more local news. You don't see other groups doing this.

• Like 3

• Me-TV is on and all have 10:00 p.m. ET/9:00 p.m. CT news except WAPT, WDSU, WVTM and WYFF:
    • KETV (.2)
    • KOCO (.2)
    • WAPT (.2)
    • WCVB (.2)
    • WMUR (.2)
    • KCCI (.2)
    • WBAL (.2)
    • WDSU (.2)
    • WGAL (.2)
    • WLWT (.2)
    • WPTZ (.3)
    • WVTM (.2)
    • WYFF (.2)

• WTAE (.2)

This post was just to make a point... Hearst uses its subchannels to its advantage to air more local news. You don't see other groups doing this.

You forgot KCWE at 9.

• KETV (.2)
    • KOCO (.2)
    • WAPT (.2)
    • WCVB (.2)
    • WMUR (.2)
    • KCCI (.2)
    • WBAL (.2)
    • WDSU (.2)
    • WGAL (.2)
    • WLWT (.2)
    • WPTZ (.3)
    • WVTM (.2)
    • WYFF (.2)

• WTAE (.2)

WPBF is, I believe a Rare example of a station to Not have a newscast on a sister station, nor subchannel. EstrellaTV is on 25.2 and the Justice Network on 25.3, but I don’t think either subchannel Has a newscast in English or Spanish, so I say there’s always room for expansion.

WBAL initially had a 7-8AM Show but it was axed when they launched the 4:30 newscast. It was successful enough for them to launch the 10PM newscast. The morning show lasted 3 years, 3 months and 10 days (10/03/2011-01/12/2015). The ratings were minimal in the beginning apparently but good enough for them to launch the 10PM five months later. I think the 7AM show was axed perhaps because of contractual reasons - but that’s just a guess.

Anyway there’s a neat WBAL logo style I haven’t seen before promoting Matter of Fact:

ljVrdXa.jpg

And maybe slightly updated graphics package:

FVayUNH.jpg

I learned that the show is edited and put together down by HTV design. I would of thought the DC Bureau would be in charge of the program.

• Like 2