The Hearst Thread

aleckrohto

KOCO got a newer helicopter (built 2004).

[MEDIA=twitter]996519437032443906[/MEDIA]

I figured it was time for KOCO to get a new helicopter anyway since how their old helicopter was at least 10-15 years old when since that time both KFOR and KWTV got their newer helicopters during that period.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So, WGAL aired their Childrens Miracle Network telethon finale this evening. WGAL has been a great station for CMN. WGAL’s morning anchor Jere Gish was recently named best local TV personality for CMN.

WGAL didn’t use Studio A this year. Nope. They didn’t use WITF’s studio as they did years before, yes, they went there for it.

This year, sorry WGAL deserves a HOP. This year, not sure if it was a WGAL decision or Penn State Health’s decision but this year ... it was held in the Cafeteria ... by the tray return. Seriously?

Wow.

— Matt

• Like 2

So, WGAL aired their Childrens Miracle Network telethon finale this evening. WGAL has been a great station for CMN. WGAL’s morning anchor Jere Gish was recently named best local TV personality for CMN.

WGAL didn’t use Studio A this year. Nope. They didn’t use WITF’s studio as they did years before, yes, they went there for it.

This year, sorry WGAL deserves a HOP. This year, not sure if it was a WGAL decision or Penn State Health’s decision but this year ... it was held in the Cafeteria ... by the tray return. Seriously?

Wow.

— Matt

CMN is still doing telethons?

• Like 2

Wow.

— Matt

I'm not sure what the problem is? Are you upset that they simply didn't have it in a TV studio? They bothered to rent truss and light the set well, and those cameras are probably rented (and that isn't cheap). That is far beyond what I've seen many stations do for telethons.

• Like 2

Wow.

— Matt

So WGAL couldn't find a better spot than a Cafeteria to host the Telethon? Should've done it at their studios but oh well that was the management's decision not mine or yours

• 2 weeks later...

WPTZ is moving its Vermont bureau from Colchester to a larger facility in South Burlington and will also open a new bureau in Lebanon, New Hampshire, which may replace WNNE's former studio in White River Junction that currently only houses an ad sales office. Their main studio will remain in Plattsburgh.

Don't be surprised if the people at WPTZ start putting on more weight after the move: the same building they're moving into also houses the executive offices of Ben & Jerry's.

Don't be surprised if the people at WPTZ start putting on more weight after the move: the same building they're moving into also houses the executive offices of Ben & Jerry's.

Are you judging the fine folks at WPTZ ?

You are pre-shaming those poor future overweight newsworkers with your predictions of obesity and gluttony.

Do you think Ben and Jerry will buy some time on WPTZ...or sponsor the Health Minute?

Is Gluttony a word?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
WPTZ is moving its Vermont bureau from Colchester to a larger facility in South Burlington and will also open a new bureau in Lebanon, New Hampshire, which may replace WNNE's former studio in White River Junction that currently only houses an ad sales office. Their main studio will remain in Plattsburgh.

I wonder two things:

1: Might the new Upper Valley bureau be shared with WMUR?

2: Would this finally drag WPTZ kicking and screaming into the HD age?

I wonder two things:

1: Might the new Upper Valley bureau be shared with WMUR?

2: Would this finally drag WPTZ kicking and screaming into the HD age?

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't WPTZ the only Hearst-owned station that's still in that 16:9 widescreen format?

• Like 2

WDSU.

Their ex station KITV went HD within six months of the sale. Of course they just installed Sony PTZ camera’s and a Viz Opus all in one system.

It’s kind of funny to think a group of relatively small size, privately owned, sitting on a huge pile of cash isn’t updating their stations to modern day technology. Not all of the equipment in the stations have to be network standard but put out good HD pictures.

• Like 1

It’s kind of funny to think a group of relatively small size, privately owned, sitting on a huge pile of cash isn’t updating their stations to modern day technology. Not all of the equipment in the stations have to be network standard but put out good HD pictures.

Ever since Radio Shack shut down the poor KITV engineers have been stumped on all this HDTV stuff.

The rule of "Broadcast Quality" in the islands is simple...

"If you can see the lava...it's broadcast quality brah."

• Like 1

WDSU.

Their ex station KITV went HD within six months of the sale. Of course they just installed Sony PTZ camera’s and a Viz Opus all in one system.

My educated guess as to why some of the Hearst stations aren't in HD at all is because of the fact that some of the facilities that some of these Hearst stations are in just simply aren't capable of transmitting an HD signal.

So basically for stations like WAPT, WPTZ and WMTW, the only way how they go HD is if either Hearst gives them better equipment or they give these stations new facilities that are capable of allowing those stations to go HD

• Like 3

My educated guess as to why some of the Hearst stations aren't in HD at all is because of the fact that some of the facilities that some of these Hearst stations are in just simply aren't capable of transmitting an HD signal.

So basically for stations like WAPT, WPTZ and WMTW, the only way how they go HD is if either Hearst gives them better equipment or they give these stations new facilities that are capable of allowing those stations to go HD

They most likely have a minimum plant to transmit HD and syndicated programming. But don’t want to go through the expense to build one for news.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

New M&A from Hearst.

They're acquiring Portland, ME's CW station WPXT from Ironwood Communications.

Hearst already owned the ABC station there, WMTW.

WPXT also carries MyNetworkTV & MeTV on its subchannels (in which the latter is carried on many Hearst properties).

No price was disclosed, but we'll see when the paperwork gets posted.

Hold your horses WMTW 8, is this the return of a 10pm news on CW Portland WPXT since they ended news agreement with WCSH. That was Maine’s first 10pm news BTW during its time with Fox and then The WB.

We could have a double whammy for primetime news.

The Westbrook studios will also mark the return for Channel 51 since it shutdown its news department. Let’s hope it will be a price.

• Like 2

New M&A from Hearst.

WPXT also carries MyNetworkTV & MeTV on its subchannels (in which the latter is carried on many Hearst properties).

This makes sense as WMTW & WPXT are currently roommates, yet aren't duopolies not allowed in Portland, ME. Should this go through, would Sinclair acquire WPFO?

• Like 2

New M&A from Hearst.

Well then... get ready for 7-9am and 10pm news on WPXT.

• Like 3

New M&A from Hearst.

By the way, that article says that WNNE is a CW affiliate. I thought they were joking. I thought that wasn't right because I know its an NBC affiliate.

Apparently, when WNNE started to channel-share with WPTZ, it became a CW affiliate (taking over from WPTZ and is now WNNE 5.2) so there you go...

https://www.mynbc5.com/article/program-alert-prepare-to-rescan-your-tv-to-continue-receiving-wnnes-signal/22105482

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WNNE

This makes sense as WMTW & WPXT are currently roommates, yet aren't duopolies not allowed in Portland, ME. Should this go through, would Sinclair acquire WPFO?

It'll likely go through since the 8 voices test has been eliminated and as for Sinclair possibly acquiring WPFO that's for the speculatron

By the way, that article says that WNNE is a CW affiliate. I thought they were joking. I thought that wasn't right because I know its an NBC affiliate.

Apparently, when WNNE started to channel-share with WPTZ, it became a CW affiliate (taking over from WPTZ and is now WNNE 5.2) so there you go...

https://www.mynbc5.com/article/program-alert-prepare-to-rescan-your-tv-to-continue-receiving-wnnes-signal/22105482

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WNNE

Yep, WNNE has left Hartford, VT and has moved its COL to Montpelier, VT, the state capital and it now transmitting alongside WPTZ at Mount Mansfield at RF 14.

• Like 6