The Hearst Thread

aleckrohto

And don't even get me started on their Facebook page. It has become the digital equivalent of a tabloid newspaper. Every other day they post a photo with an obnoxious-sized caption in capital yellow or white letters.

You gotta blame Hearst's partners like VUZ, CNN (the obnoxious Tabloola-pushing side of that site) and such on that; WISN is a completely sober station on-air, but if you were to go solely on its website and social presences you would think they were running the third coming of a A Current Affair out of Hearst's offices. Compared to the other Milwaukee stations, their Facebook has the worst commenters in the market, by far, and you can tell their on-air staff absolutely would love to do anything else than interact with them (which is why they all have separate personality pages they can control on their own). And it's the same no matter what Hearst station I run into (Twitter is fine; there it's easier to avoid the VUZ/CNN garbage).

Back to WXII. Ever since WCWG entered into an agreement with WXII, Hearst has been pouring much needed resources into WCWG. I'd say the FCC should give it a go just on those grounds alone.

Pretty much this. If you actually make an effort to improve the product rather than just plugging into the CW and trash talk show producers and calling it a day, you should be considered on these grounds.

• Like 5

(Twitter is fine; there it's easier to avoid the VUZ/CNN garbage).

Actually, I had to unfollow WMUR's Twitter account because it tweets so frequently and often only with links to "human interest" stories I had no interest in.

• Like 1

Pretty much this. If you actually make an effort to improve the product rather than just plugging into the CW and trash talk show producers and calling it a day, you should be considered on these grounds.

You do have a point there. It might have an excellent case for the failing station waiver as well.

• Like 3

When did WVTM get the standard FX desk?

Originally when they were bought by Hearst and got the Diagrid they had the desk seen in this video:

Now they have the one that was standard during the FX set in a box era:

EA54409F-7C57-43BD-9D9A-AD618FF96862.thumb.jpeg.45199a04b077faa80f3fd61343d51bb9.jpeg

I’m curious if this was a hand me down or if they ordered a desk from FX that hasn’t been made in ages.

When did WVTM get the standard FX desk?

Originally when they were bought by Hearst and got the Diagrid they had the desk seen in this video:

Now they have the one that was standard during the FX set in a box era:

[ATTACH=full]4638[/ATTACH]

I’m curious if this was a hand me down or if they ordered a desk from FX that hasn’t been made in ages.

WTAE replaced that style desk when they got their new set. They had that little railing behind the desk too.

So, if I had to guess...

• Like 1

WTAE replaced that style desk whenh( they got their new set. They had that little railing behind the desk too.

So, if I had to guess...

Wouldn’t surprise me. I think I mentioned this but when WDSU got their new studio they got robotic cameras (before they had maybe one and the rest just had PTZ heads). WDSU didn’t get new robotic cameras rather they got the discontinued SP-2000s.

It’s amazing how a company that seems to have a good reputation can be so cheap. I think there are still several that have yet to go HD. I was surprised that during the Hurricane Nate coverage WBAL took a shot from a WDSU skycam and it was in HD.

Anyone know whether WVTM is still automated? I believe they used Ignite before being purchased by Hearst. If so, it may be the only Hearst station using automation.

I believe they de Ignited them along with WJCL. There were many job postings related to technical directing posted soon after the acquisition.

What kind of helicopter does WISN have? In a recent article it appears they have an R44 registered to MetroNetworks while some recent YouTube videos have a Bell JetRanger 206B registered to Helicopters Inc.

Here’s an image from OnMilwaulkee:

morningspin_story1.jpg

And here’s one of many videos of the Bell 206 lifting off on WISN’s YouTube channel.

• Like 2

What kind of helicopter does WISN have? In a recent article it appears they have an R44 registered to MetroNetworks while some recent YouTube videos have a Bell JetRanger 206B registered to Helicopters Inc.

The tail number on the R44 shows pretty regular activity out of Hollywood, FL, so that must have been an old picture:

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N8369F

The tail number on the R44 shows pretty regular activity out of Hollywood, FL, so that must have been an old picture:

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N8369F

...and a 206 would be considered an upgrade (major) in airship and hourly operating cost...and I don't know of any station "upgrading"...unless someone want's to mention KTNV...did it ever launch?

• Like 1

Here’s an image from OnMilwaulkee:

morningspin_story1.jpg

And here’s one of many videos of the Bell 206 lifting off on WISN’s YouTube channel.

The Robinson got replaced with the 206B YEARS ago.

...and a 206 would be considered an upgrade (major) in airship and hourly operating cost...and I don't know of any station "upgrading"...unless someone want's to mention KTNV...did it ever launch?

KTNV did indeed debut the chopper thay they had 3D renders of, but it was months after they started promoting it.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the New England One article said the set "enhancements" would debut in 2017, which ends in about two months. Anybody know anything more? I'm really curious! BTW, a Facebook Live video from Olessa S. said they are going to launch a new CityLine set very soon.

• 2 weeks later...
WCVB is #1 because of the quality of its newscasts, not the quality of its Facebook page or Twitter feed.

Don't judge a TV station by its social media accounts.

Twitter and Facebook aren't real life anyway. Social media is a terrible measure of the public's opinion.

• Like 3

WCVB is #1 because of the quality of its newscasts, not the quality of its Facebook page or Twitter feed.

Don't judge a TV station by its social media accounts.

You're right. WCVB is really good. Folks, just focus on TV and not social media and you'll see that WCVB is good.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...