The Hearst Thread

aleckrohto

I would describe that as more of an "umbrella open," KMBC trying to make it look like they have several urgent stories when they really don't. That's a producer/executive producer decision, not a Hearst thing.

Just wait for them to ask for those fancy long form production opens like CBSTM and F&F do....

It used to be a cold open was "special"....kinda like "exclusive" once was.

If you over use the cold open....it warms...and rots quicker.

A warm mushy un-crisp cold open is the worst....like a ripe baloney sandwich on a hot day.

• Like 1

Looks like KMBC and WCVB are ditiching opens for now cold opens ... wonder if it will go group wise ...

-- Matt

I don't think they will go group wide. A lot of Hearst stations have been shortening their opens recently. WXII recently switched to a cold-style open with the same music as KMBC. A cold open is technically a short V/O and then right to news. Correct? And, it seems like Strive is being updated a lot. A hear new cuts almost constantly. Do stations or Hearst commission the updates?
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Never knew they did this...WTAE opened their 11pm news last night with a "Severe Weather" open. I thought WPXI was the only one in the market to do this.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VbFo4506nY

• 2 weeks later...

Last fall, New England One posted an article (link below) that WCVB is to get an updated set this year. Emily Riemer (I think) recently posted a picture to Facebook showing they are renovating the newsroom. Does anybody know anything more? Also, a question of mine I never got answered...I'll try again. I'd love to know... do stations or Hearst commission the updates to Strive as the package is being updated seemingly constantly.

http://www.newenglandone.com/news/local/boston/a-scenic-change-in-boston/wcvb-5.html

EDIT:I noticed today that WBAL is hiring a new anchor. Who's leaving? News expansion?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

FUN FACT: Yesterday was the five-year anniversary of the Hearst Diagrid Graphics and Strive. They debuted on July 18, 2012 on WESH's noon newscast. Plus, if you can, please take a gander at my above post. I'm curious. Thanks!

• Like 2

Last fall, New England One posted an article (link below) that WCVB is to get an updated set this year. Emily Riemer (I think) recently posted a picture to Facebook showing they are renovating the newsroom. Does anybody know anything more? Also, a question of mine I never got answered...I'll try again. I'd love to know... do stations or Hearst commission the updates to Strive as the package is being updated seemingly constantly.

http://www.newenglandone.com/news/local/boston/a-scenic-change-in-boston/wcvb-5.html

EDIT:I noticed today that WBAL is hiring a new anchor. Who's leaving? News expansion?

I haven't heard anything about people leaving. They are also looking for a new meteorologist. In addition to a traffic reporter/anchor.

With WMAR's new show (sounds like it may be The Now) I can't imagine WBAL would maintain status quo.

I wouldn't be surprised if an evening news expansion is coming. I think they need to freshen up their newscasts. They are too stuffy. They also need to change the Strive cuts they use to fresher cuts and not use dang Agent of Change all day long.

WXII 12 now has a sister station: WCWG 20. It will provide a news a 10pm for a full hour on weeknights and half-hour on weekends. And a two-hour morning news from 7-9am. Don't get it, it produces a news at 10 on Me-TV since 2012...duh. This is the next WESH 2 and CW18

• Like 4

WXII 12 now has a sister station: WCWG 20. It will provide a news a 10pm for a full hour on weeknights and half-hour on weekends. And a two-hour morning news from 7-9am. Don't get it, it produces a news at 10 on Me-TV since 2012...duh. This is the next WESH 2 and CW18

And the next KCRA 3 and KQCA 58.

• Like 1

Looks like this was done about 6 months or so. WGAL's building is so beautiful and iconic.

-- Matt

very nice....

Compared to the KSBW-8 studios at 236 John St., Salinas, Ca.

Note the use of imported corrugated steel...and why bother with expensive windows that would only allow killer sunlight to invade the building....

https://www.bing.com/maps?&ty=18&q=236 John St, Salinas, CA 93901&ppois=36.669641610974_-121.64865369249_236 John St, Salinas, CA 93901_~&cp=36.669642~-121.648654&v=2&sV=1&FORM=MIRE&qpvt=236+john+st,+salinas

• Like 1

The newscast on MeTV is MOVING to WCWG. There will no longer be a newscast of any sort on MeTV.

• Like 1

WCWG is still separately owned by Lockwood. Hearst entered into an SSA in station operations, but cannot legally purchase the station.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Meant to ask this but do any other Hearts stations besides WBAL recolor the trapezoidal bug on days there are football games? WBAL recolored part of their bug so it was a purpleish blue and in the past when the Orioles were doing good in the post season they made it orange.

IMG_7473.thumb.jpg.887e15fbff643a51d54573c1df25e1eb.jpg

During syndicated programming they make the turn their translucent bug to purple. Everything but the Olympic Rings is turned purple. The rings remain the regular "crystal" type translucent.

• 1 month later...

WCVB cut the ribbon to its new newsroom earlier this week...http://www.newscaststudio.com/2017/09/13/wcvb-new-newsrooom/ and a new tweet from WCVB CSD today shows the start of Phase 2 of WCVB renovations.

[MEDIA=twitter]908331712584843264[/MEDIA]

Does he mean new studio or office space? I wonder when there new set will debut this year as New England One reported last fall.

• 3 weeks later...
WCVB cut the ribbon to its new newsroom earlier this week...http://www.newscaststudio.com/2017/09/13/wcvb-new-newsrooom/ and a new tweet from WCVB CSD today shows the start of Phase 2 of WCVB renovations.

Does he mean new studio or office space? I wonder when there new set will debut this year as New England One reported last fall.

Just saw this post. I imagine they are slowly renovating the building piece by piece.

[MEDIA=twitter]875357928978616322[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=twitter]913475627948404736[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=twitter]855475714577096704[/MEDIA]

Also how would something like this work? A video scaler or multiple viz engines for each wall?

[MEDIA=twitter]694720744018874368[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=twitter]694722695590723584[/MEDIA]

• Like 1

Just saw this post. I imagine they are slowly renovating the building piece by piece.

[MEDIA=twitter]875357928978616322[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=twitter]913475627948404736[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=twitter]855475714577096704[/MEDIA]

Also how would something like this work? A video scaler or multiple viz engines for each wall?

[MEDIA=twitter]694720744018874368[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=twitter]694722695590723584[/MEDIA]

That's why WCVB is one of the best TV stations in the US.

• Like 2

That's why WCVB is one of the best TV stations in the US.

Really? I used to like this station. Now they're slowly becoming very tabloid-y like WHDH. Plus, their weather graphics are the worst of the 5 Boston local news stations.

And don't even get me started on their Facebook page. It has become the digital equivalent of a tabloid newspaper. Every other day they post a photo with an obnoxious-sized caption in capital yellow or white letters.

• Like 1

Really? I used to like this station. Now they're slowly becoming very tabloid-y like WHDH. Plus, their weather graphics are the worst of the 5 Boston local news stations.

And don't even get me started on their Facebook page. It has become the digital equivalent of a tabloid newspaper. Every other day they post a photo with an obnoxious-sized caption in capital yellow or white letters.

It continues to be a good station, but not as it was in the past (when Chet and Natalie ruled). I don't even know the faces or names of many of the reporters or meteorologists that work there now.

This is very interesting.

Hearst wants to buy Lockwood's WCWG outright. And wants a waiver of the duopoly rule (specifically the eight-voices test) to get the greenlight.

I've never seen them try to cut corners. I figured they would use the failing station waiver to acquire the station. I honestly would reject the case, although they might be accepted in the other waiver.

Interestingly, though, with the same interpretation - if rejected by the FCC - Sinclair would have to divest WGHP to keep its duopoly, or break up the WXLV/WMYV duopoly in separate directions, as there would only be 7 or 8 voices in the market.

I've never seen them try to cut corners. I figured they would use the failing station waiver to acquire the station. I honestly would reject the case, although they might be accepted in the other waiver.

Interestingly, though, with the same interpretation - if rejected by the FCC - Sinclair would have to divest WGHP to keep its duopoly, or break up the WXLV/WMYV duopoly in separate directions, as there would only be 7 or 8 voices in the market.

Honestly, WGHP is definitely more valuable than WXLV/WMYV combined. It will depend on how comfortable they are with the status quo in the Triad and the same goes for St. Louis between KTVI/KPLR and KDNL.

Back to WXII. Ever since WCWG entered into an agreement with WXII, Hearst has been pouring much needed resources into WCWG. I'd say the FCC should give it a go just on those grounds alone.

• Like 3