The Hearst Thread

aleckrohto

But I think the big part of that might be because they are now sharing space with the Savannah Morning News.

There could be some complications with that and plus the station isn't as fully staffed as some of the other stations that Hearst has taken over.

• 2 weeks later...

"Stuart Kellogg, president and general manager since 1991 of WAPT-TV, the Hearst Television Inc. ABC TV affiliate serving the Jackson, Mississippi, market, will retire at year-end 2015. The move caps nearly a quarter-century at the helm of WAPT and four decades in television that began as a weathercaster in his alma mater’s town of Syracuse, N.Y. Kellogg’s successor will be announced at a future date."

FULL STORY: http://m.wapt.com/news/stuart-kellogg-to-retire-as-president-general-manager-of-16-wapt/36077784?utm_campaign=16%20WAPT%20News%20Jackson&utm_medium=FBPAGE&utm_source=Social

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Michael Neelly named president, general manager of WAPT-TV

JACKSON, Miss. —Michael L. Neelly, a longtime Hearst Television news executive most recently serving as a news director in Cincinnati and Louisville, has been promoted to president and general manager of WAPT-TV, the Hearst Television ABC TV affiliate serving the Jackson market.

The appointment, effective January 1, 2016, marks a return to Jackson for Neelly, an Ole Miss alumnus who was a photojournalist and producer in Jackson during the early 1990s. He succeeds Stuart Kellogg, who recently announced his year-end retirement after serving as WAPT’s president and general manager since 1991.

“For the last fifteen years, Mike has successfully led two Hearst Television news operations to new heights, building award-winning newscasts, increasing audience, and launching new digital products,” said Jordan Wertlieb, Hearst Television’s president. “His accomplishments, coupled with his strong leadership style and deep Mississippi roots, make Mike an excellent successor to carry on the overall growth and commitment to the local community that has been a hallmark of the WAPT team during Stuart Kellogg’s tenure.”

Neelly has served since 2012 as news director at WLWT-TV, the Hearst Television NBC affiliate in Cincinnati. While there, he helped establish “Making a Difference for Our Youth,” a multi-platform initiative spotlighting issues facing young Cincinnatians, the resources available to them and how viewers can help. He also led a rejuvenation of the news operation, overseeing staff expansion and creating an investigative unit. In recent ratings periods WLWT has ascended to the top of Cincinnati newscast ratings in key demographics and earned a 2015 Regional Emmy Award for Special Achievement: News Excellence -- the market’s first station to receive the award.

Before WLWT, Neelly served for a dozen years as news director at WLKY-TV, Hearst’s CBS affiliate in Louisville, KY. During his tenure, WLKY became Louisville’s news leader, achieving unprecedented ratings growth and earning more than 135 national and regional journalism awards. Between his time at WLWT and WLKY, Neelly himself has been honored with five regional Emmy Awards for News Excellence. He joined WLKY in 1997 as assistant news director.

Prior to Hearst, Neelly served as an executive producer at stations in Fort Myers, FL, and in Portland, ME. He began his television journalism career in 1989 as a freelance photographer for ESPN, CBS and WTBS Sports before moving to Jackson and becoming a producer. He holds a Bachelor’s degree in English from the University of Mississippi at Oxford.

Source: http://wapt.tv/6184BRWia

• Like 1

KCRA has been using Random New cuts of strive from FUZEARTZ lately. its been very Wierd for KCRA to have.

I have confirmation from Brian Reidinger, co-owner of inthegroovemusic, that Fuze Artz does not own inthegroovemusic nor did they create Strive. Strive is a product of ITG and is informally represented by Fuze Artz.

I have confirmation from Brian Reidinger, co-owner of inthegroovemusic, that Fuze Artz does not own inthegroovemusic nor did they create Strive. Strive is a product of ITG and is informally represented by Fuze Artz.

oh yeah. i remember now. we have 3 stations using their packages. KCRA/KQCA and KTXL.

With KCRA/KQCA using strive and KTXL using Trust. It's the same situation in Harrisburg but with 2 stations.

Trust AKA the Tribune-FOX Theme that's currently used with the Tribune-FOX Graphics Except KCPQ (Modified KTLA Graphics), KSWB and WTIC (In Which both are using Stephen Arnold and 615.)

I've noticed during sweeps on certain days when there's a heavily promoted report WBAL forgoes commercials until the break between weather and sports. It was about 23 minutes into the show until they went to a normal commercial break. WBAL seems to be the only station to deviate from their normal break periods during sweeps.

Do any other stations do this? I assume it's a tactic to keep viewers tuned into your channel instead of flipping over to competitors.

I've noticed during sweeps on certain days when there's a heavily promoted report WBAL forgoes commercials until the break between weather and sports. It was about 23 minutes into the show until they went to a normal commercial break. WBAL seems to be the only station to deviate from their normal break periods during sweeps.

Do any other stations do this? I assume it's a tactic to keep viewers tuned into your channel instead of flipping over to competitors.

for me KCRA does it also but only in between shows at 3PM and 4PM, Dr. Oz for example.

• 4 months later...

Also what's going on with Hearst stations adding newscasts? KOCO has added a 9am and 9pm Newscasts, KMBC will be adding a 4pm Newscast and lengthening their 9pm Newscast on KCWE to 60 minutes, KCCI, KETV, among others are the recent 9pm News on Me TV additions.

I wouldn't be surprised if more Hearst stations add additional newscasts as for me we might be seeing a 3rd OKC station with a 4pm Newscast (KOCO) because of all of the newscast expanding the Hearst stations (lately) have been doing.

• Like 1

Also what's going on with Hearst stations adding newscasts? KOCO has added a 9am and 9pm Newscasts, KMBC will be adding a 4pm Newscast and lengthening their 9pm Newscast on KCWE to 60 minutes, KCCI, KETV, among others are the recent 9pm News on Me TV additions.

I wouldn't be surprised if more Hearst stations add additional newscasts as for me we might be seeing a 3rd OKC station with a 4pm Newscast (KOCO) because of all of the newscast expanding the Hearst stations (lately) have been doing.

WAPT extended their Sunday 10 p.m. newscast to from 10-10:30 to 10-11:05.

It's syndication not doing well; Hearst is finally sick of NBCU bungling their talk shows and ABC throwing away the old General Hospital slot and leaving them to program talk shows that last a season. Next year's offering in place of Meredith by NBCU is Harry Connick Jr., which only seems to have the safest ad buyers excited and not actual people. With Netflix, sitcoms that used to be anticipated in syndication are getting shrugged off (witness the major downgrades to Modern Family's timeslots this year as the show hits its older drafting stage), so better to replace those shows with newscasts than low-rated shows.

• Like 2

Fixed.

Hearst isn't that badly into infomercials from what I see usually though (WISN usually still sticks them in late night/weekend afternoons and nowhere else). Maybe when the house-flipping ballroom seminars come in they'll sell a couple additional slots, but usually not the case with Hearst.

Hearst isn't that badly into infomercials from what I see usually though (WISN usually still sticks them in late night/weekend afternoons and nowhere else). Maybe when the house-flipping ballroom seminars come in they'll sell a couple additional slots, but usually not the case with Hearst.

Yeah - I only think WBAL airs them for a half hour at 4:30 AM Saturday and Sunday morning before the news and maybe one slot on Sunday before sports.

• 2 months later...
Since the old Hearst thread got locked. I decided to make a new one where you can talk about anything Hearst. Let's hope this new thread doesn't get out of hand!

Hi, Alec. Can you please remove the word 'new' from the title of this thread? I feel like 2 years old isn't new anymore.