The Hearst Thread

aleckrohto

So WJCL moved their site to Hearst Television's CMS provider, Lakana (the former Internet Broadcasting). However, they are not using the layout that the other Hearst stations use. Rather, they are using the same layout that Nexstar is rolling out to their stations.

It makes you wonder, if the other Hearst stations will get this layout in the near future, because it's responsive and the existing Hearst sites are not (they load a separate mobile skin when I browse on my iPad, for instance).

Check it out at http://www.wjcl.com/

So when will WTGS have new website?

So WJCL moved their site to Hearst Television's CMS provider, Lakana (the former Internet Broadcasting). However, they are not using the layout that the other Hearst stations use. Rather, they are using the same layout that Nexstar is rolling out to their stations.

It makes you wonder, if the other Hearst stations will get this layout in the near future, because it's responsive and the existing Hearst sites are not (they load a separate mobile skin when I browse on my iPad, for instance).

Check it out at http://www.wjcl.com/

If you scroll down to the bottom of the page, there's a logo that's different from the one they currently use. Maybe a sign of things to come?

So when will WTGS have new website?

I'm sure Sinclair is working on something for them right now.

• 2 months later...
Anyone know whether WVTM is still using automation for newscast production? If so, it may be the only Hearst station doing so. Wonder if Hearst is looking to see how it goes there or is it just too expensive to replace?

I think they are automation lite using ELC to control playout but that's about it. The director of engineering did an interview a year or two ago and seemed like they weren't going to do it.

Edit: my local station isn't automated at all.

If Hearst was going to buy any more stations, my best bet would be that they'd buy every station from Graham Media Group (except WKMG, which is in a market where Hearst owns a duopoly, which they could divest the station to Tegna). They have solid news departments and, in the case of KSAT 12, WDIV, and WJXT, are even news leaders, so Hearst buying them would be an investment that would be worthwhile and bring even more revenue because of how well Graham's stations (which would be Hearst's when they buy them) are doing.

If Hearst was going to buy any more stations, my best bet would be that they'd buy every station from Graham Media Group (except WKMG, which is in a market where Hearst owns a duopoly, which they could divest the station to Tegna). They have solid news departments and, in the case of KSAT 12, WDIV, and WJXT, are even news leaders, so Hearst buying them would be an investment that would be worthwhile and bring even more revenue because of how well Graham's stations (which would be Hearst's when they buy them) are doing.

I'd love to see Graham stations being sold to Hearst the only stations that won't go to Hearst is WKMG since how they already own WESH/WKCF now as far as KSAT is concerned if they want to keep KSAT they could take a page out of what Gannett/Tegna did when they bought The Arizona Republic now would the FCC be ok with that idea? Not sure about that one if not I could see Scripps buy KSAT. KPRC, WDIV and WJXT makes sense because it gives those stations an option to simulcast Texans, Lions or Jaguars games when they air on ESPN Monday Night Football (since how Hearst owns 20% of the network) yes they may not be affiliated with ABC but look at WDSU and WBAL as an example. Even though they're affiliates of NBC instead of ABC they still simulcast Ravens and Saints games when they make an ESPN Monday Night Football appearance why? Because Hearst owns a minority stake in ESPN therefore giving those stations, WISN among other stations in NFL Markets that Hearst owns the right to simulcast MNF games involving their team/teams if they want to they don't have to simulcast if they don't want to.

WBAL didn't do that to their bugs but for their 65th year on air they ran a promo featuring their studio renderings and every logo they've used.

KCRA also made it into a bug for syndicated shows as well. but KCRA still shows the Regular 3 during NBC Promos, As an ID during NBC shows before transitioning to NBC's bug and for some reason they still use a brief jingle of the Hearst "Where The News Comes First" Theme from NewsMedia Central during their TV Schedule Graphics. not sure why.

KCRA also made it into a bug for syndicated shows as well. but KCRA still shows the Regular 3 during NBC Promos, As an ID during NBC shows before transitioning to NBC's bug and for some reason they still use a brief jingle of the Hearst "Where The News Comes First" Theme from NewsMedia Central during their TV Schedule Graphics. not sure why.

Wait they're still using the Former Hearst mandate theme song for the Schedule graphics?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The WJCL website (which has been using the Nexstar layout for the last few months) has been slightly tweaked. The logo also appears to have been tweaked. It now says WJCL 22 and includes the ABC logo. They have also started using the Hearst graphics for weather segments.

The WJCL website (which has been using the Nexstar layout for the last few months) has been slightly tweaked. The logo also appears to have been tweaked. It now says WJCL 22 and includes the ABC logo. They have also started using the Hearst graphics for weather segments.

So does that mean they become WJCL 22 News or WJCL News 22? and when will they get Hearst graphics for all of their newscasts?

So does that mean they become WJCL 22 News or WJCL News 22? and when will they get Hearst graphics for all of their newscasts?

My guess is WJCL 22 News, but that is just a guess. As for when they get the Hearst graphics and web layout..... I have no idea. For some reason they are taking their time with WJCL. Which is odd to me because they were able to get WVTM Hearst-ified very quickly.

• Like 2