The Hearst Thread

aleckrohto

Looks like WPBF got it's set refreshed in the past year.

Around 1:31 they have a desk around their "tree" the backgrounds appear updated.

[yt]t40jVeP5XHs[/yt]

A live desk stand up location.

[yt]hHzZKAebYqY[/yt]

Their home base also appeared to be updated.

re: WTAE Pittsburgh

Just noticed during last night's 11 pm newscast "WTAE TV Pittsburgh" is on the screen for a few seconds with their lower graphics and goes off.

No screengrabs.

After legal ID at top, this occurred on-going with all lower graphics during the first segment.

re: WTAE Pittsburgh

Just noticed during last night's 11 pm newscast "WTAE TV Pittsburgh" is on the screen for a few seconds with their lower graphics and goes off.

No screengrabs.

That is most likely their meeting the FCC requirements mandating that the station identify itself and the city of license either visually or aurorally at the top of the hour or as close to it. Most stations use small 10 pt text that is automatically inserted with out human intervention. Other stations like WTAE's sister insist going this route:

WBAL-Identification.jpg

The only time that huge logo appears is during newscasts because their opening include the required text:

[yt]7tAA9J2lpvE[/yt]

Most stations include it in their newscast opens and even on promos for the newscast and or syndicated fair just to be safe.

That is most likely their meeting the FCC requirements mandating that the station identify itself and the city of license either visually or aurorally at the top of the hour or as close to it. Most stations use small 10 pt text that is automatically inserted with out human intervention. Other stations like WTAE's sister insist going this route:

WBAL-Identification.jpg

Reminds me of how stations used to identify themselves in the 70's-90's:

KAdzmv.png

WaetzT.png

I've noticed that too and when they display the names on the lower thirds it typically only lasts five seconds which is just long enough to read it. I'm willing to guess their lack of use is mainly due to the fact that their newscasts are not personality driven as opposed to say WJZ's morning news with Don and Marty. However their PoP promos they do display the anchors names while they cut from footage of anchor speaking.

I am also thankful they don't put the anchors twitter accounts in the lower thirds because the blue twitter T logo does not look good against the background in addition the @ sign looks a bit messed up.

I don't know if other Hearst stations do this, but at KMBC, every time the talent is on camera -- every time -- they'll run the "name" lower third, even if the talent is on cam for a few seconds. I find it distracting.

I don't know if other Hearst stations do this, but at KMBC, every time the talent is on camera -- every time -- they'll run the "name" lower third, even if the talent is on cam for a few seconds. I find it distracting.

I find everything KMBC does to be distracting.

Locally WBAL will only show the lower third when they come back from the commercial. If an anchor wasn't on camera when they came back from break their name will appear at their first appearance. Generally the chyron only appears on screen if there is something that needs to be added, the only time it stays on screen normally is when they do national news headlines.

• 1 month later...

Okay, I guess you don't.

So, what do you think about WTAE rebranding to Pittsburgh's Action News 4 in March? Do you like it, or not?

If anyone is curious, they changed all the music they use. I don't know what the cut is called that they use in the morning or at 11. (I really, really, really like their 11pm theme.)

I know that they use all 3 versions of Early Evening 2013.

Invigorated (my favorite)- Noon and 5pm

Agent of Change- 5:30pm

Galvanized- 6pm

I think it is really creative how they changed their newscasts and change the music every half hour in the evening. What station does that?

WBAL has continued their expansion of 10pm news on their digital sub channel WBAL+ or MeTV Maryland to include weekends. They launched the 10pm weeknight broadcasts back in 2012. I believe they launched the weekend broadcasts as there has been no public mention other than that they are no appearing in my TV guide.

I wonder if they will eventually continue this news expansion through weekend mornings? Currently during the week they continue local news until 8am on WBAL+. The only difficulty would be the length of time for the weekend broadcasts where they currently broadcast three hours on Saturday and four on Sunday . On Saturdays mornings they broadcast from 5-7am and from 9-10am but Sundays may be especially difficult/long because they currently broadcast from 5-8am and 9-10am.

WBAL is also hosting the third and final gubernatorial debate on October 18. Normally only the Baltimore or Washington DC stations host debates normally focusing on central Maryland but are broadcast state wide on Maryland Public Television. WBAL's debate will be moderated by Jason Newton but will feature Deborah Weiner and two yet to be named journalists from WHAG (from Hagerstown market in Western Md) and WBOC (from Salisbury market on the Eastern Shore). http://www.wbaltv.com/blob/view/-/28205866/data/1/-/2mq4htz/-/WBAL-TV-11-set-to-broadcast-gubernatorial-debate.pdf

• 3 months later...

Well almost four years after WMAR started their 4:30AM newscast a second Baltimore station is getting in the game, WBAL. Starting at 4:30 AM they will provide two and a half hours of local news on their main channel and an additional hour from 7:00-8:00 am on their digital sub channel, WBAL + / MeTV Baltimore. The additional newscast will launch on January 12 and consequently Early Today will .air at 4:00 AM.

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/82090/wbal-to-start-weekday-morning-news-at-430

Hearst got a hold of WVTM for a measly $3 MILLION....(for the building itself)

http://www.bizjournals.com/birmingham/news/2015/01/06/hearst-pays-3-million-for-wtvm-channel-13.html

Given WVTM's place in that market, i doubt the other assets added up to much. They are languishing in 4th place with a measly 4 percent market share. (from MG's annual report) And Hearst stepping in to immediately replace the GM with one of their own signals a change is coming...

...now if only MG doesn't send WIAT back into the basement where it languished for almost their entire existence.

For comparison, Meredith bought WALA down in Mobile for $86 MILLION.....

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/81744/meredith-completes-wala-mobile-purchase

http://www.bizjournals.com/birmingham/news/2015/01/06/hearst-pays-3-million-for-wtvm-channel-13.html

Given WVTM's place in that market, i doubt the other assets added up to much. They are languishing in 4th place with a measly 4 percent market share. (from MG's annual report) And Hearst stepping in to immediately replace the GM with one of their own signals a change is coming...

...now if only MG doesn't send WIAT back into the basement where it languished for almost their entire existence.

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/81744/meredith-completes-wala-mobile-purchase

Even in last place in the ratings and suffering neglect, a major network affiliate in a top 50 market going for four or five times that price would have raised eyebrows as a bargain. That is preposterously cheap. Is there some kind of divestiture quid pro quo at work here?

According to Asset Purchase Agreement (at p.20 (just press 24 on the PDF)) of the WVTM deal, the whole deal was $58M. If the building was just $3M, then all the other assets including programming was uber-expensive. Makes me wonder how much it cost for the property at WALA, when that deal was $28M more than WVTM's.

WVTM is self-contained, it seems. All the assets are on one site, and the streets are crumbling on the street view. WALA has a primary facility southwest of downtown Mobile, a tower site in another city, and a small studio space in Pensacola. I doubt that accounts for the difference in price, but maybe something to consider.

According to Asset Purchase Agreement (at p.20 (just press 24 on the PDF)) of the WVTM deal, the whole deal was $58M. If the building was just $3M, then all the other assets including programming was uber-expensive. Makes me wonder how much it cost for the property at WALA, when that deal was $28M more than WVTM's.

Do you happen to have the link to the WJCL deal as well?

In other news with WBAL launching a 4:30 AM newscast I thought they would continue the 7AM newscasts on MeTV Baltimore. Today I was looking at my TiVo's guide and noticed that my guide listed the regular MeTV programming at that hour with That Girl at 7:00AM and I Love Lucy at 7:30AM.

So I sent out a tweet to the anchors:

https://twitter.com/rkolsen/status/554604793839505408

And finally my response:

https://twitter.com/rkolsen/status/554607089654697985

I guess the station didn't want to hamper the news starting a half hour earlier with a footnote stations the 7AM newscast is a goner. Come to think of it I believe this is the first time in a long time that they've cancelled a newscast. It seems like they are always adding, first the 7AM weekday show, then the weekday 10PM news, extending the 10PM new to run on weekend and finally a 4:30AM start time.

In other news they are using a different voice over guy. It's still the same script but it's not Bill Ratner. I've heard this guy do various promos for the station and several short notice voice over packages (like last years Columbia mall shooting). The fact that it's a short turnaround makes me suspect they aw using one of their radio personalities to do voice overs.

In other news they are using a different voice over guy. It's still the same script but it's not Bill Ratner. I've heard this guy do various promos for the station and several short notice voice over packages (like last years Columbia mall shooting). The fact that it's a short turnaround makes me suspect they aw using one of their radio personalities to do voice overs.

Sounds to me like they're using Steve Stone. I've noticed multiple Hearst stations use Stone for voice overs (WCVB, WTAE, KOCO to name a few) If you happnned to record the newscast/have the open that you can share I'd be able to tell you.

WBAL-AM/TV news director Michelle Butt has been promoted to the general manager of WXII of Hearst's Greensboro, NC NBC affiliate. She is returning to WXII where she served as news director for three years before coming to WBAL. http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/82126/michelle-butt-named-wxii-greensboro-gm

• 2 weeks later...

And finally my response:

https://twitter.com/rkolsen/status/554607089654697985

I guess the station didn't want to hamper the news starting a half hour earlier with a footnote stations the 7AM newscast is a goner. Come to think of it I believe this is the first time in a long time that they've cancelled a newscast. It seems like they are always adding, first the 7AM weekday show, then the weekday 10PM news, extending the 10PM new to run on weekend and finally a 4:30AM start time.

Baltimore is not a big enough market to support two local morning shows and the national morning shows, something was going to give eventually. It makes more sense to start at 4:30 on the main station than air an extra newscast at 7am on a subchannel, especially when anyone who wants to watch WBAL local news at 7am can watch it on Comcast On Demand. If they had gone for a more local feel like the Fox O&Os morning shows, they could've pulled a better rating.

On another note, does anyone know if Hearst owns Vuz TV or Buzz60? I see a lot of their videos on the websites of Hearst local affiliates.

• 2 months later...