KXTV Sacramento Shows Off "New" Chopper... Still with San Diego's KGTV Paintjob!

RCA TK47

Poor Sacramento bottom feeder KXTV News10 is proud they have a chopper again, even if it still sports the colors and logo from San Diego's KGTV. Somebody call Earl Scheib! He'll paint any chopper for $99.95!

Still a pretty lame promo though... makes KXTV look like they are a cheap operation.

Video:

http://www.news10.net/video/3552085591001/1/Tell10-Sky10-army-depot-thefts-and-zapping-microphones

Poor Sacramento bottom feeder KXTV News10 is proud they have a chopper again, even if it still sports the colors and logo from San Diego's KGTV. Somebody call Earl Scheib! He'll paint any chopper for $99.95!

Still a pretty lame promo though... makes KXTV look like they are a cheap operation.

Video:

http://www.news10.net/video/3552085591001/1/Tell10-Sky10-army-depot-thefts-and-zapping-microphones

Oops. And that's not even the current KGTV scheme. What a joke.

LOL at Charlie Van Dyke "That's not even our logo"

Seems awfully cheap but just to give them the benefit of the doubt maybe they wanted to get it in service right away. It doesn't even look like they bothered to get an HD camera but then again that's an extra ($300,000-$600,000 if you get a Cineflex brand) it looks looks like they have a FLIR brand camera Onboard.

Some stations don't go over the top on painting them, look at WJZ's helicopter it only has NEWS written on the side with their logo underneath it almost applied as an after thought:

4a7wya58quyvj3dsybfy.jpeg

While others feature their logo largely on its side/bottom like WBAL, which repainted theirs just to get rid of the DT Call sign (same design though):

320px-WBAL_Skyteam11.jpg

KOAT the Albuquercue ABC affiliate I think has a unique one with the state flag as it's paint scheme:

DSC02573-JPG.png

I do think they should paint it as soon as they can simply coming from a brand standpoint. If you have a unique paint scheme like KOAT does people will instantly correlate the helicopter with your station and having a different logo will just confuse viewers on the ground.

Seems awfully cheap but just to give them the benefit of the doubt maybe they wanted to get it in service right away. It doesn't even look like they bothered to get an HD camera but then again that's an extra ($300,000-$600,000 if you get a Cineflex brand) it looks looks like they have a FLIR brand camera Onboard.

Some stations don't go over the top on painting them, look at WJZ's helicopter it only has NEWS written on the side with their logo underneath it almost applied as an after thought:

4a7wya58quyvj3dsybfy.jpeg

While others feature their logo largely on its side/bottom like WBAL, which repainted theirs just to get rid of the DT Call sign (same design though):

320px-WBAL_Skyteam11.jpg

KOAT the Albuquercue ABC affiliate I think has a unique one with the state flag as it's paint scheme:

DSC02573-JPG.png

I do think they should paint it as soon as they can simply coming from a brand standpoint. If you have a unique paint scheme like KOAT does people will instantly correlate the helicopter with your station and having a different logo will just confuse viewers on the ground.

Think for a moment... how many people on the ground or at home give a second thought to the helicopters paint scheme if something is happening that is important enough to warrant a helicopter? I think this is more news enthusiast talk than reality. Viewers simply don't care about what the helicopter says and they rarely see the darn thing anyways. Only if they actively show the thing on the air all the time will it even matter.

Think for a moment... how many people on the ground or at home give a second thought to the helicopters paint scheme if something is happening that is important enough to warrant a helicopter? I think this is more news enthusiast talk than reality. Viewers simply don't care about what the helicopter says and they rarely see the darn thing anyways. Only if they actively show the thing on the air all the time will it even matter.

I've noticed it when flying over my house and looked up. Few years back I saw a red chopper in the sky with the KING 5 logo in San Diego.

I mentioned it because there have been at least a dozen occasions in the past yea when I've seen people look up and point out a news helicopter - whether it's downtown or in the grocery store parking lot people notice.

Most stations don't actively show or roll b-roll footage like WCAU seemed to incessantly where the helicopter is the only footage shown in the news opens. But there is enough imagery out there from B-Roll footage that is used in promos, to photographs that serve as a transition for video footage, to finally an onscreen graphic/model of your helicopter with spinning rotors (like WPVI) which I think is really cheesy - so that viewers know what to expect. I equate it to the same reason stations paint their ENG trucks, it's so that they establish a presence in the community.

I'm always on the lookout for news copters; I went on a field trip one time to Adventure Aquarium in Camden, and I saw Chopper 6 taking off from Penn's Landing in the distance (lots of clouds that day, so the red/blue color scheme stood out against the gray sky).

I kinda like the promo that pokes fun at themselves. It is a refreshing change, but they do need to paint and make a new one at some point, otherwise it will just be stupid.

There's something to say for getting it up and in service - but it really wouldn't have killed them to get their logo on there.

Philly is ChopperTown. And while SkyForce 10 is justifiably brought up... let's all remember that Chopper 6 has been in the Action News opens, at the same exact time, since the late 1970s.

WPVI-ChopperShot.jpg

There's something to say for getting it up and in service - but it really wouldn't have killed them to get their logo on there.

Philly is ChopperTown. And while SkyForce 10 is justifiably brought up... let's all remember that Chopper 6 has been in the Action News opens, at the same exact time, since the late 1970s.

WPVI-ChopperShot.jpg

Yes, but it's not the entire open. Most stations have a montage of sorts of their news trucks, helicopters, buildings and personalities intertwined with the local sights and sounds simply for branding reasons. As a side note I just realized WJZ doesn't do any of that contrary to their branding of eyewitness news as Marylands News Leader.

Yes, but it's not the entire open. Most stations have a montage of sorts of their news trucks, helicopters, buildings and personalities intertwined with the local sights and sounds simply for branding reasons. As a side note I just realized WJZ doesn't do any of that contrary to their branding of eyewitness news as Marylands News Leader.

It's not, but it's one of the three "key shots" in the open. (The other two being the opening skyline zoom and the News Van.) And I can't remember anything recent that has helicopters/news vans in the opens, at least here. Most are skyline shots or generic animations.

While I'm not crazy about the current WCAU open - it's the only part of the look that isn't a significant upgrade - I can understand why. The previous opens were Philadelphia-centric. The station's now emphasizing coverage of suburban areas, as well as New Jersey and Delaware. So the new ones have generic imagery and "PENNSYLVANIA NEW JERSEY DELAWARE". I'd have made one of the shots one of their badass news vans myself.

N8QV is owned by Helicopters Inc., and they have a few birds around the country sporting that generic "NEWS" paint scheme. Typically it's done when a few stations go in on a helicopter lease together, but in WJZ's case they must have entered into an exclusive lease with Helicopters Inc. and decided to apply a logo decal rather than pay for a new paint job. Airframes are typically stripped of all paint for heavy maintenance checks (usually every five years), so it makes financial sense to hold off on paint until it's absolutely necessary.

Archived