One America News

sanewsguy

I was flipping through the channels on my Uverse lineup, and I notice they put a new channel on 208 called "OAN one America News Network" any one know anything about it? Or if you've seen it, what do you think? Seems like a knockoff of Fox News...

Watching it now, I'm wondering when they're going to start trying to sell me financial planning books and diet pills. THAT'S how fake it seems. It is clearly a rip-off of Fox News, but it seems like more of a laughable joke (though unintentional).

If they didn't have graphics that ripped off another network, I might be more likely to give it a chance, but until then, I just can't take it seriously. I do give them credit, though. What I'm watching is about as close to a straight newscast as your going to find on cable.

http://www.oann.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_America_News_Network

[yt]EYAhd7fUXyY[/yt]

Damn. As I keep watching it, I'm not hating it even more. Yes, it's definitely going for the Fox image, but the slant is not hardly as down-your-throat. Unfortunately, since it doesn't scream liberal, so many will automatically dismiss it as conservative, even though I (a social lefty and fiscal middle-righty) am seeing it as moderate in viewpoint.

To be clear, I'm only referring to the newscast on now. There are a handful of talk shows on the schedule that are admittedly conservative.

The graphics could use a little refinement. The use of small caps in the ticker is particularly unsettling, as is the use of Myriad (Myriad's good, but since it comes bundled with every copy of Adobe Creative Suite software, it also now screams "we didn't bother to buy typefaces").

I believe OAN is owned by the Unification Church (News World Communications), the same (former?) ownership of The Washington Times.

No, it's owned by the same group that owns Wealth TV.

Also, nobody buys ad time on this channel, because all breaks taken are just promos for other programs.

I was flipping through the channels on my Uverse lineup, and I notice they put a new channel on 208 called "OAN one America News Network" any one know anything about it? Or if you've seen it, what do you think? Seems like a knockoff of Fox News...

And yet they still won't add Al Jazeera America. At least we still have BBC World News.

But I'm with everyone else, the production values are infomercial-quality cheap.

One America News is owned by privately held Herring Broadcasting, which as noted is the same as Wealth TV. It is based out of the Washington Times HQ and exclusively uses their reporting for content.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/mar/13/the-washington-times-extending-reach-cable-network/

From what I understand, the channel's main studios are in San Diego, CA with an office at The Washington Times building.

• 2 weeks later...

So, I just found this channel.

The entire operation looks, feels, and sounds like the fake news channels in movies. Like, even the name sounds like something you'd see everyone watching in a restaurant before the big monster attacked the city.

The bug animation isjumpy and clearly using a very low frame rate. The ticker could stand to be much, much smaller. The music sounds like a mashup of several European news network packages. I've seen better anchors on college newscasts.The graphics look like they just happened without any oversight. I think the only decent thing is the set (though none of the monitors seem to be adjusted for TV), which I hope goes to a good home when this network goes under.

An OTS image for "Spain" is just a Google Maps screenshot of Spain. In one promo they claim to be "unbiased" and in the very next spot they have video of Obama and Hillary Clinton (At the Benghazi hearing, no less), the only politicians in the spot, synched up to a speech talking about "inflated rhetoric". The reporters all speak slowly, and pronounce everything in a way that makes them sound robotic.

I can't believe this is a real attempt at launching a news operation.

EDIT: Just..... what....

[yt]S1hKrKifjig[/yt]

So, I just found this channel.

The entire operation looks, feels, and sounds like the fake news channels in movies. Like, even the name sounds like something you'd see everyone watching in a restaurant before the big monster attacked the city.

THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS.

It really does look like the fake news stations they put in movies that aren't made by Fox. (Where they use fake news graphics for a Fox station.) And yeah, given how extensively the new Godzilla movie (which is great btw) uses these sorts of fake news stations (which have local calls for some bizarre reason), that's exactly what it looks like!

FiOS added this in HD a few months back. In fairness, however, they also just added Al Jazeera America HD, so it balances out.

Watching it now, I'm wondering when they're going to start trying to sell me financial planning books and diet pills. THAT'S how fake it seems.

That would be NewsMax TV, and that is a reality (and soon to come to DirecTV).

One America News is owned by privately held Herring Broadcasting, which as noted is the same as Wealth TV. It is based out of the Washington Times HQ and exclusively uses their reporting for content.

I had thought their studios were in San Diego, where Herring is headquartered. If so, their graphics must have been influenced heavily by KUSI's operation.

Archived