Preemptions of Network Programming

rkolsen

I was on the Ravens website this afternoon and they have WBAL pre-empting NBC's primetime lineup for the TNF game tonight in Cincinnati.

Now, in a way, this does makes sense as WBAL is the Ravens flagship station and they have broadcasted games on NFL Network in the past, as well as Monday night games on ESPN in recent years (WJZ did this up until around 2012 or '13 IIRC with ESPN games both in the Sunday and Monday night eras).

My only sense of confusion is that I expected WBFF to show it as this is the first game of the Fox TNF era, even though the network debut isn't for another two weeks. I would have assumed that local Fox affiliates are given the rights to pre-empt based off of WJZ getting Ravens-Colts late last December, and that game was on NFLN with CBS production behind it.

Upon review of the Cincinnati listings, tonight's game was slated to be on WKRC and not WXIX.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are there any pre-empts for the MLB postseason in the markets involved? I remember checking out the AL Wild Card in 2016 and none of the stations in Baltimore made way for that game, and I doubt they did the same for their playoff games in 2014 and '12.

I get the combo of many viewers tuning in via cable and satellite together with the dying/aging viewership of baseball and of coarse, streaming services make this an issue, but if say for instance, Cleveland gets to the ALCS, a broadcast viewer won't see the Indians unless they get to the World Series. Or, take a NL team like the Atlanta Braves. They won't be on Fox unless they make the NLCS, where they might just air a game or two over the weekend at best. Even then, that's no guarantee as Cubs/Dodgers two years ago never saw broadcast television in any of the six games.

Are there any pre-empts for the MLB postseason in the markets involved? I remember checking out the AL Wild Card in 2016 and none of the stations in Baltimore made way for that game, and I doubt they did the same for their playoff games in 2014 and '12.

I get the combo of many viewers tuning in via cable and satellite together with the dying/aging viewership of baseball and of coarse, streaming services make this an issue, but if say for instance, Cleveland gets to the ALCS, a broadcast viewer won't see the Indians unless they get to the World Series. Or, take a NL team like the Atlanta Braves. They won't be on Fox unless they make the NLCS, where they might just air a game or two over the weekend at best. Even then, that's no guarantee as Cubs/Dodgers two years ago never saw broadcast television in any of the six games.

Postseason games on cable are no longer simulcast over the air, that was done away with when the new tv contracts took effect

• 3 weeks later...

Archived