Preemptions of Network Programming

rkolsen

Back in the old Group-W days KDKA-TV had frequent preemptions. Throughout the 70s and 80s until 1991 channel 2 preempted the daytime soap As The World Turns. Pittsburgh2Day aired at 2 during the 80s. Capitol aired at 1:30 instead of 2:30. During P2D's final year they moved up to 1:30 with Bold & the Beautiful at 2:30.

For two years, I think 1993-95 KDKA had local news until 7:30 am with a 90-minute Disney cartoon block (Disney KD Toon Time). This aired instead of CBS This Morning. In the late 80s/early 90s Three's Company reruns aired instead of Family Feud at 10 am. During the 80s Barney Miller repeats were at 11:30 pm, later on Inside Edition aired in that slot. Inside Edition pushed Letterman back to 12:05 for about a year or so.

During baseball season Pirates games would frequently air in prime time. As a child I couldn't tel you how many specials I missed out on because of baseball. For a few years in the early 90s KD also aired prime time Penguins hockey games. KDKA would also have frequent specials in prime time, often 'For Kids' Sake.[/quote

How long was the Disney afternoon on KDKA?

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
According at least to Zap2It, WLAJ is preempting the first two games of ABC's NBA Christmas Day tripleheader to show regularly-scheduled syndicated programming along with their simulcast of WLNS' 6 PM news.

WLAJ is so awful a station I wouldn't be surprised if WLNS doesn't even remember they run it; they probably have the altered schedule but sent them the regular schedule by mistake (It is showing on TitanTV though).

Also...why is WLAJ now branded as "My WLAJ 53" like the utterly insulting "WOTV 4 Women" with the same logo style?! I would have thought that Nexstar would have dumped that the first moment they could, but they double downed on it on one of the worst (and cursed) ABC affiliates in the entire network.

According at least to Zap2It, WLAJ is preempting the first two games of ABC's NBA Christmas Day tripleheader to show regularly-scheduled syndicated programming along with their simulcast of WLNS' 6 PM news

Any station that preempt network sports should have their affiliation pulled immediately

According at least to Zap2It, WLAJ is preempting the first two games of ABC's NBA Christmas Day tripleheader to show regularly-scheduled syndicated programming along with their simulcast of WLNS' 6 PM news.

That is criminal. ABC should reprimand them for that. What's wrong with airing them overnight?

It may be a mistake as I check the TitanTV listings on WLAJ's website, and see that the games are scheduled. If not, you can see the preempted games on the ESPN App.

Actually, Zap2It just updated WLAJ's listings and they will be showing all three games after all.

That is criminal. ABC should reprimand them for that. What's wrong with airing them overnight?

That reminds me of back in the eighties, KDKA would pre-empt many of the prime-time NBA final games and air them on delay after the late news. This would make room for more Pirate games.

For Christmas, according to Zap2it KDKA is airing local news at 5am then CBS Morning News at 6 & 6:30. Probably a mistake. WPXI and WTOV are airing parade repeats instead of morning news, and WTAE has specials at 5 & 6 am as well as at noon. Both WPXI and KDKA have local newscasts scheduled for noon. Also seem to be business as usual for Youngstown's WFMJ with its regular morning and noon newscasts scheduled.

No local pre-game show (Black and Gold Zone) for the Steelers game on WPXI like they normally do.

WBAL is currently delaying NBC's Midnight Mass to actually begin at midnight for Ravens Wrap Up.

WBFF appears to air all their newscasts in the morning. WBAL, WJZ and WMAR are preempted.

WBAL and WJZ are preempting their noon newscasts for a local production A Season to Celebrate and WJZ News Magazine, respectfully.

Evening news is on except for NBC and ABC where its preempted by sports.

I just turned on CBS and they are airing Christmas Eve with Fairfield University. It seems like its a paid program but the program itself started as CBS Presents and the program has no bug.

Getting that in Chicago as well.

WMAQ preempted Sports Sunday for a The Spirit of Christmas music special.

Getting that in Chicago as well.

WMAQ preempted Sports Sunday for a The Spirit of Christmas music special.

It looks like NBC is running seperate feeds for the mass. So that it should go out at 11:30 local time.

New Year's Eve is already descending into chaos for NBC; there was absolutely no publicity over whether they were even planning to do their Carson Daly special at all due to the now non-existent Sunday Night Football. WBTS and KING are already covered because they have local specials (First Night Boston and the Space Needle fireworks respectively) that would have pre-empted it anyway, but will they throw together anything at the last minute at all?

This is especially true. Let me discuss this further. Recently, FOX aired a 2015 US Open special on Jordan Spieth. But instead of airing it at 4:00pm, WSVN 7 aired it at 12:00 Midnight in favor of local news at 4:00 and 4:30pm.

The same can be said for specials before or after an NFL game, in which WSVN will also preempt until Midnight or later for it. Another great example... Today at either 3:00pm before the late NFL Game or at 4:30 or 5:00pm after the early NFL game, FOX will air a FOX College Football: Playoff Preview, an hour-long special. But instead of airing it on those times, WSVN 7 is airing it at 12:00 Midnight after Sports Xtra.

This is nothing new as WSVN 7 has constantly pre-empted networks programs since its NBC days.

I guess somethings never change.

New Year's Eve is already descending into chaos for NBC; there was absolutely no publicity over whether they were even planning to do their Carson Daly special at all due to the now non-existent Sunday Night Football. WBTS and KING are already covered because they have local specials (First Night Boston and the Space Needle fireworks respectively) that would have pre-empted it anyway, but will they throw together anything at the last minute at all?

NBC will air “Dateline” from 7-9pm and “The Wall” from 9-11pm.

As of this writing it doesn’t look like NBC is doing anything New Years related. When I signed up (I’ve been known to sign up for things in the middle of the night*) for the APT** (and before they shortly realized I shouldn’t have been authorized) they sent me emails about programming changes. Well they wisely disabled my account but not from the email list so I still get emails about program changes - there’s currently no way to unsubscribe from the list. Over the past three days I got a flurry of them. Many included sports changes on New Years Eve, events on New Year’s Day and well into the future. None of them had anything remotely to do with New Years Eve festivities. So I think it’s pretty safe to say that there will be no broadcast.

I do imagine they will have an NBC Newschannel correspondent or two doing packages and live reports for stations across the country. They probably will even offer a feed of the festivities for affiliates to take.

However any station both domestic and international can air the ball drop. The Times Square Alliance puts up a clean feed via satellite, fiber and an online webcast of the festivities including the performances. According to TVNewsCheck the feed will “...feature exclusive, panoramic views from more than 20 camera locations, highlighting the ambient and natural sounds of the revelers, the lighting and raising of the famous New Year’s Ball, hourly countdowns, musical entertainment (TBA) and more.”

The fiber feed via The Switch will start at 4PM, the domestic satellite feed starts at 10:15 PM, the international satellite feeds starts at 11:45 PM and all feeds end at 12:15 AM. So if you have a satellite receiver you can view the festivities uninterrupted in full HD without the compression the networks add by pointing you dish to SES 3. You can stream it online via Livestream.com/2018. If you never watched the clean feed it’s an interesting view and way different from the networks.

* I have received many catalogs in the mail. Some were broadcast related, one was just wiring, another was about home automation that included swatches of fabric for their window curtains, but probably the strangest one was for elevators and escalators.

** Just because I signed up for the APT doesn’t mean you should. It was stupid of me and I should have known better. You will just be wasting people’s time.

• 4 weeks later...

I know they aren't network programs, but for the second time in less than a week WDIV is preempting the Wheel of Fortune/Jeopardy! hour. Last week it was the auto show gala preview, but tonight it's the Michigan State of the State that's preempting that entire hour.

This makes me fortunate that I have access to WTOL, which will air both shows as scheduled.

I know they aren't network programs, but for the second time in less than a week WDIV is preempting the Wheel of Fortune/Jeopardy! hour. Last week it was the auto show gala preview, but tonight it's the Michigan State of the State that's preempting that entire hour.

I find nothing wrong with this at all; you pre-empt for stuff like this, especially if you have someone like Rick Snyder running the state into the ground (in this case, term limits are a literal godsend thanks to his 'handling' of Flint and Larry Nassar/MSU) and you want to hear if he has anything to say on either topic.

Plus it's game shows. DVR's exist. Though in 2018, syndication really needs to figure out some way to stream their series. I can stream nearly anything on a cable or broadcast network, but if I want to watch yesterday's Ellen, I'm out of luck until the summer or have to be content with whatever WBTV doles out from the episode on YouTube.

• 2 weeks later...

Yet another one involving WDIV. Right now a Winter Olympics interview special is being bumped to 1:38 AM in favor of an interview special with John Skelton, who was the father of three long-missing boys who lived in Morenci, Michigan; a town that is in...of all places...the Toledo market.

I'm still not watching either special anyway.

Before Early Today moved to 3:30AM, WCMH pre-empted Mad Money All Night with Steve Harvey day delay. Now a rebroadcast of their 11:00 news runs from 3-3:30AM.

Other random Columbus notes. WBNS used to broadcast Ohio State men's basketball games, pre-empting network programming and sometimes Jeopardy!/Wheel of Fortune to the middle of the night. I remember crawls running and fullscreens during their newscasts letting viewers know to set their VCRs (shows how long ago it was).

For many years WSYX would air Nightline and Jimmy Kimmel Live on a half hour delay thanks to a rerun of Seinfeld after their 11:00 news. I want to say this ended when Kimmel moved to 11:35.

Before Early Today moved to 3:30AM, WCMH pre-empted Mad Money All Night with Steve Harvey day delay. Now a rebroadcast of their 11:00 news runs from 3-3:30AM.

Other random Columbus notes. WBNS used to broadcast Ohio State men's basketball games, pre-empting network programming and sometimes Jeopardy!/Wheel of Fortune to the middle of the night. I remember crawls running and fullscreens during their newscasts letting viewers know to set their VCRs (shows how long ago it was).

For many years WSYX would air Nightline and Jimmy Kimmel Live on a half hour delay thanks to a rerun of Seinfeld after their 11:00 news. I want to say this ended when Kimmel moved to 11:35.

For much of last season, WCMH rebroadcasted NBC Nightly News in the 3:30 am slot - with the exception of July 4. They aired a repeat of the Red, White & Boom! fireworks. They preempt NBC primetime for it every year. In fact, under NBC ownership, this was the one non-news preemption they were allowed every year. They used to run repeats of Access Hollywood and Extra in that slot.

WSYX ran Nightline at 12:05 during the end of the Ted Koppel era and The Insider at 12:35.

WBNS pushed Craig Kilborn to 2am for syndicated reruns of Caroline in the City and The Martin Short Show, later ONN's Primetime Ohio.

• 7 months later...

I was on the Ravens website this afternoon and they have WBAL pre-empting NBC's primetime lineup for the TNF game tonight in Cincinnati.

Now, in a way, this does makes sense as WBAL is the Ravens flagship station and they have broadcasted games on NFL Network in the past, as well as Monday night games on ESPN in recent years (WJZ did this up until around 2012 or '13 IIRC with ESPN games both in the Sunday and Monday night eras).

My only sense of confusion is that I expected WBFF to show it as this is the first game of the Fox TNF era, even though the network debut isn't for another two weeks. I would have assumed that local Fox affiliates are given the rights to pre-empt based off of WJZ getting Ravens-Colts late last December, and that game was on NFLN with CBS production behind it.

Archived