Preemptions of Network Programming

rkolsen

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, but that was before CBS preempted it on the East Coast. As I said, a rerun will likely air in its place.

Mmmm sure if you say so :rolleyes: . My guide says nothing about it being a rerun and hasn't been reflected as such. Just because the east/central times get preempted does not mean the west coast is going to either. Even when The Amazing Race used to air on Sundays during football it was always pushed back to a later start for the east/central however on the west coast it always started on time.

Mmmm sure if you say so :rolleyes: . My guide says nothing about it being a rerun and hasn't been reflected as such. Just because the east/central times get preempted does not mean the west coast is going to either. Even when The Amazing Race used to air on Sundays during football it was always pushed back to a later start for the east/central however on the west coast it always started on time.

It's highly unlikely that the program guide would be updated by CBS and pushed to TVGuide or who ever provides the listings within three hours on a weekend . I'm not saying it's not possible just highly unlikely.

As for The Amazing Race the only reason why it starts on time in the west coast is because of the time difference combined with the fact that they do not air anything live after football. Consequently that time between when the game ends and primetime begins either shrinks or slides and it is up to the affiliates to program that time.

I doubt guides update that quickly. The decision was made after 7pm eastern. I am kind of surprised they didn't just run everything on an hour delay. I know CBS wants 60 Minutes to run as close as possible to 7pm, but CBS should just schedule a post game show at 7:30 as filler when they have doubleheaders, and program only from 8pm and on.

I just watched the first few minutes of this weeks episode and the first few minutes of last weeks episode and both had different openings. Perhaps for the areas that got preempted it will be a rerun but for me it looks to be a new episode.

I just watched the first few minutes of this weeks episode and the first few minutes of last weeks episode and both had different openings. Perhaps for the areas that got preempted it will be a rerun but for me it looks to be a new episode.

Then I may be wrong.

The decision was made at a national level.

Because of the Double-Header NFL Games, Network Programming had been scheduled to start 30 minutes later than normal to begin with. Then, the times got slid by a little over 30 minutes more.

CBS later decided that they would not air CSI at all. West Coast got an encore episode (not necessarily last weeks episode, but an encore episode probably from this season).

Program Guides aren't updated instantaneously. They are sent-out days, even weeks in advance.

But NBC isn't that risky. Or in Fox's case, criminally stupid.

They got ridiculously lucky in San Francisco, when KNTV 11 San Jose got a transmitter upgrade and emerged as a VHF fallback when relations with KRON collapsed. KNTV had an existing news department, so it wasn't a case of building up a news department from scratch.

But no fallback exists for them in Boston. And the thought of buying a high-end UHFer and sticking NECN newscasts just won't work. That's not how a traditional market like Boston works.

NBC will wait it out with Ansin, and hopefully will get a shot at WHDH before too long.

I think Ansin's attitude toward NBC is "take it or leave it." After NBC dumped his station in Miami, that station is thriving. WSVN is out-billing every station in Miami, including NBC6. When someone at 30 Rock calls to complain, I'm betting he doesn't get the least bit nervous. (Although... I wouldn't be surprised if Cox would rather not have to deal with Fox for WFXT, considering the reason Cox got that station in the first place.)

Dancing With The Stars,’ ‘Castle’ will air later because of Cowboys

from dallasnews.com:

Fans of Dancing With The Stars and Castle: Better check those DVRs for next week.

The Dallas Cowboys are playing the Washington Redskins on Monday, Oct. 27, and WFAA Channel 8 will be broadcasting the game. That means DWTS and Castle won’t be shown in their regularly scheduled time slots.

According to Zap2It listings, Dancing With The Stars will air at 12:57 a.m. Tuesday and Castle will follow at 2:58 a.m. Friendly tip: Make sure to schedule extra time on your DVR in case the game runs long, and it pushes back the nightly news, Jimmy Kimmel Live, Nightline and Inside Edition, all of which will follow the football game.

Dancing With The Stars,’ ‘Castle’ will air later because of Cowboys

from dallasnews.com:

Fans of Dancing With The Stars and Castle: Better check those DVRs for next week.

The Dallas Cowboys are playing the Washington Redskins on Monday, Oct. 27, and WFAA Channel 8 will be broadcasting the game. That means DWTS and Castle won’t be shown in their regularly scheduled time slots.

According to Zap2It listings, Dancing With The Stars will air at 12:57 a.m. Tuesday and Castle will follow at 2:58 a.m. Friendly tip: Make sure to schedule extra time on your DVR in case the game runs long, and it pushes back the nightly news, Jimmy Kimmel Live, Nightline and Inside Edition, all of which will follow the football game.

Gannett Should buy KTXD-TV from London Broadcasting and run ABC Primetime on Channel 47 in the first place :bang:

I think Ansin's attitude toward NBC is "take it or leave it." After NBC dumped his station in Miami, that station is thriving. WSVN is out-billing every station in Miami, including NBC6. When someone at 30 Rock calls to complain, I'm betting he doesn't get the least bit nervous. (Although... I wouldn't be surprised if Cox would rather not have to deal with Fox for WFXT, considering the reason Cox got that station in the first place.)

Maybe it's thriving in revenues but NBC's Telemundo affiliate has won the last two sweeps.

Good evening everyone.

So, WHP-TV (CBS21), Harrisburg, PA has themselves in a bit of a pickle tonight.

They have decided not to air CSI tonight, instead having their 11PM newscast show. The world is not ending here in the HLLY market so why would they do this??? Also, don't they have to air the show, since it's a network show???

So I guess I'm asking about here simply put is what is the rules for pre-empting shows??? Also worth noting, viewers are going on their FB page raging hell. One viewer wrote, "I don't have On Demand." So, Monday morning at the Sinclair station should be great!!!

-- Matt

Just out of curiosity, how is this thread different from this thread: http://forums.tvnewstalk.net/index.php?/topic/13838-preemptions-of-network-programming/page-5&do=findComment&comment=123172

Seems the same to me.

Just out of curiosity, how is this thread different from this thread: http://forums.tvnewstalk.net/index.php?/topic/13838-preemptions-of-network-programming/page-5&do=findComment&comment=123172

Seems the same to me.

I didn't want to be the one to see it, but yeah. I've been wondering why there's been sooo many double posts lately. I mean, does no one look before they post, anymore?

I didn't want to be the one to see it, but yeah. I've been wondering why there's been sooo many double posts lately. I mean, does no one look before they post, anymore?

I was starting to wonder myself. I thought I was missing something. The nice part is I believe the other thread was at the top of the General News forum when this one was started.

I have a better suggestiom, wait until mid-season to show 60 Minutes and in the meantime show a postgame show similar to Fox's the OT.

Just have a postgame show and 60 Minutes at 8/7PM. They could just air reruns in the 7/6PM slot when Fox has the doubleheader and they air reruns (or whatever Fox treats like bastard children) in the 7/6PM slot when CBS has the doubleheader. They can't give 60 Minutes the Futurama treatment

• 1 year later...
KMOV preempts a few shows. They have aired the Price is Right at 11 AM when most stations in the Central time zone air it at 10AM. They also preempt the Late Late Show. They air Inside Edition at 11:37PM and air the Late Late Show at 12:07AM.

KMOV also pushes The Young and the Restless back to 4 pm.

KMOV now airs all three shows in pattern. From the Changing Newscasts Blog (edited by me):

Starting Monday September 14th, 2015, KMOV 4 will be adding a half-hour extension of News 4 This Morning, which will soon begin at 4:00 a.m.

Also starting on that day, KMOV 4 will add a half-hour 4:00 p.m. newscast, obviously called News 4 at 4:00.

Because of the addition of the 4:00 p.m. half-hour newscast, KMOV 4 will move The Young and the Restless from its long-time 4:00 p.m. post, to the new 11:00 a.m. timeslot, which will now go on before the half-hour News 4 at Noon. And because of this, programming changes are made on KMOV 4. Here’s where you’ll find the shows at new times, starting Monday September 14th, 2015:

9:00-10:00 AM: Great Day St. Louis (KMOV 4’s lifestyle talk show, moves from 10:00 a.m. and replaces The Queen Latifah Show, which has been canceled.)

10:00-11:00 AM: The Price is Right (moves from 11:00 a.m.)

11:00 AM-12:00 PM: The Young and the Restless (moves from 4:00 p.m.)

12:00-12:30 PM: News 4 at Noon (will remain as is)

12:30-1:00 PM: The Bold and The Beautiful (will remain as is)

1:00-2:00 PM: The Talk (will remain as is)

2:00-3:00 PM: Let’s Make A Deal (will remain as is)

3:00-4:00 PM: Dr. Phil (will remain as is)

4:00-4:30 PM: News 4 at 4:00 (brand new newscast, replacing Y&R which moves to 11:00 a.m.)

4:30-5:00 PM: Inside Edition (moves from 11:35 p.m. and will fill the second half-hour of the 4:00 p.m. hour)

What this means is that for the first time, The Price is Right, The Young and the Restless and The Late Late Show will air in pattern with CBS on KMOV 4, as all three shows were delayed by 1 hour, 5 hours and 30 minutes, respectively.

https://changingnewscasts.wordpress.com/2015/08/26/kmov-will-add-400-am-400-pm-news-on-4/

WSVN in Miami on the weekends, consistently pre-empts the secondary sports event, i.e. Auto Racing, and frequently bumps it to midnight. They also do this EVEN IF they've opted to air the late NFL game, and in place is BooooRing Infomercials. Even worse, IMO, Miami wants this happening way more frequently then never. I, on the other hand, would like to see some Other station in Miami be the Fox affiliate. I should also mention that if the secondary sports event aired in the late fringe on Weekends, News is on. Any other Fox affiliates do this?

Archived