Preemptions of Network Programming

rkolsen

WGCL here in Atlanta has a sort of funky daytime schedule.

For a few years, they went without a Noon newscast and they've had The Young and the Restless come on at 3:00 ever since Guiding Light went off the air. Between Noon and 1:30, they were airing some combination of Better and Inside Edition. Now that there's an noon newscast again, I wish they'd put Y&R back on at 12:30 and move Inside Edition and what not to 3. It also creates kind of a quirky thing where a promo for the "upcoming" episode of The Talk will pop up during Y&R when the episode in question actually aired just before Y&R.

Let's Make A Deal, The Price is Right, The Bold and the Beautiful and The Talk air at their normal times.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another thing that's been going on for a few years now that I've always thought was strange is why Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy come on two different channels here (albeit the two stations are Gannett's duopoly of WXIA and WATL). It kind of makes me wonder if King World is giving Gannett a "side eye" for doing that.

Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if they send it another station just so they can be "reunited" if Gannett won't do it. I think they'd be a good fit at either WSB or WAGA, especially if the former can scale back their 6:00 news to 30 minutes (because I think "the Three Hour tour", as one WSB anchor called it, is overkill), air World News at 6:30 and air the WoF/Jeopardy hour at 7.

Another thing that's been going on for a few years now that I've always thought was strange is why Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy come on two different channels here (albeit the two stations are Gannett's duopoly of WXIA and WATL). It kind of makes me wonder if King World is giving Gannett a "side eye" for doing that.

It's the result of a bunch of moves going back to early in Dr. Phil's run when he couldn't go against Oprah. 11 Alive decided to do news at 7 and Wheel at 7:30, punting Jeopardy to 4:30. After Gannett bought WATL, they realized Jeopardy was a better leadout to the 7:00 news than Wheel, thus Wheel was off to 36.

Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if they send it another station just so they can be "reunited" if Gannett won't do it. I think they'd be a good fit at either WSB or WAGA, especially if the former can scale back their 6:00 news to 30 minutes (because I think "the Three Hour tour", as one WSB anchor called it, is overkill), air World News at 6:30 and air the WoF/Jeopardy hour at 7.

The situation in Atlanta is not as bad as in Boston where Wheel/Jeopardy have a good 30ish preemptions a year between Patriots-related events and WBZ ews specials. Add in the TNF pregames and I think Jeopardy has aired maybe half the time at 7:30 this month.

That pair has been screwed since WHDH dumped them and they spent three years in odd timeslots on WSBK. If Cox has a brain, they'd go for getting the pair for WFXT since TMZ/Dish Nation just can't be doing better in the ratings,

As many of you already know, WFAA preempting ABC programming this Monday due to ESPN Monday Night Football (Cobwoys v. Redskins). Dale Hansen has a pregame show at 6:30PM and Kickoff is at 7:30PM. In this case there's no "sister station" to carry the ABC Monday night programs. So, what this means is that WFAA ABC 8 will air Dancing with the Stars from 12:57am and Castle from 2:58am early Tuesday Morning. So I would set my DVR for those shows.

WBAL has completely preempted the fourth hour of Today with Kathy Lee and Hoda. They never cleared the show dayside and only started clearing as Today All Night at 2:07 AM. Now they run the previous day's the Meredith Vieira Show at 2:07 AM followed by Steve Harvey at 3:00 AM which preempts Mad Money.

At a quick glance it appears that NBCU Television Distribution is asking their affiliates to re-air The Meredith Vieira and Steve Harvey shows. After doing a quick search it appears all NBC O&O with the exception of KNSD preempt Today All Night for Meredith Vieira and all stations preempt Mad Money with Steve Harvey.

Conflicting reports: The Attleboro Sun Chronicle (flip to page 7) says WCVB is preempting Star Wars Rebels: Spark of Rebellion tonight for the Steve Harvey special Young Men Big Dreams. Yet according to Zap2it, Star Wars Rebels is airing on WCVB and sister station WMUR. Anyone in Boston who can confirm this?

Conflicting reports: The Attleboro Sun Chronicle (flip to page 7) says WCVB is preempting Star Wars Rebels: Spark of Rebellion tonight for the Steve Harvey special Young Men Big Dreams. Yet according to Zap2it, Star Wars Rebels is airing on WCVB and sister station WMUR. Anyone in Boston who can confirm this?

The Steve Harvey special is scheduled to air Thursday at 8pm.

What's even more intriguing is that a newspaper still publishes a tv listing supplement!

What's even more intriguing is that a newspaper still publishes a tv listing supplement!

That's the first day of November sweeps. And it's preempting a repeat of It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown, which is still airing on WMUR.

http://www.zap2it.com/rmp/tvgrid/tvgridprint?lineupid=USA-MA20419-X&tz=US/Eastern&time=1414713600

Detroit...again. On Wednesday, WDIV is preempting a new episode of The Mysteries of Laura for two local news specials. Laura is pushed to WADL, where it airs on Saturday(!). Also on Saturday, while WDIV is airing the Breeders' Cup (because it has to), they're dumping repeats of Law & Order: SVU and SNL for the Canadian vampire movie Love Bites.

http://www.zap2it.com/rmp/tvgrid/tvgridprint?lineupid=USA-MI21453-X&tz=US/Eastern&time=1414627200

http://www.zap2it.com/rmp/tvgrid/tvgridprint?lineupid=USA-MI21453-X&tz=US/Eastern&time=1414886400

I don't know if this is the right place to post it, but soccer fans in middle Tennessee are pissed off, WSMV is showing kids shows instead of a Premier League match between Manchester United and Chelsea until the near end of the first half. https://twitter.com/search?q=WSMV&src=typd

If I recall, this isn't the first time WSMV screwed up when it came to a soccer game. I think they also screwed up a few F1 races as well.

Figured they would've learned by now.

It's ridiculous how Hearst can lack logic and just ran the damn show during the 7:00 local hour. I understand the need for the show (some demos need that) but really they have to cut network programming?

Oh and there are people who ether don't have digital cable, not own a smartphone or use the Web or computers and don't live in the big city like the fun and progressive city of Boston. Sure they are the old and wishful dead demo, but it's still a workable business model.

Downgrading to the more NH-centric 60 signal could bring in some good money to fuel his delusions of grandeur. Who needs all that cable coverage inside Massachusetts anyway?

Everyone wins: NBC gets their O&O, Binnie stays on a just as relevant signal, and Sunbeam has a clean slate for when they inevitably sell when Ed dies to fuel even more philanthropic ventures. Also, it'd end the painful must carry hilarity in Chesire/Windham counties of Telemundo being on basic with Univision on a special tier,

Meant to reply to this (but got so tied up and didn't have time to go onto TVNT.)

The boldface is just an insult and uncalled for. I think he's got too much ambition, but never, ever delusions. OTTH: NBC needs to layoff the need to buying O&Os. How in the hell can NBC60 work in Boston? It won't, never will, never work and just surrender would be the best option. Even NBC38 would've been a colossal disaster.

More on the WSMV fiasco here:

http://worldsoccertalk.com/2014/10/26/nashville-nbc-affiliate-show-kids-cartoons-instead-of-man-united-chelsea-game/

Also from that article:

NBC affiliate WTOV9 in Steubenville, OH decided to show a replay of a Friday night high school football game instead of Manchester United against Chelsea.

Downgrading to the more NH-centric 60 signal could bring in some good money to fuel his delusions of grandeur. Who needs all that cable coverage inside Massachusetts anyway?

Everyone wins: NBC gets their O&O, Binnie stays on a just as relevant signal, and Sunbeam has a clean slate for when they inevitably sell when Ed dies to fuel even more philanthropic ventures. Also, it'd end the painful must carry hilarity in Chesire/Windham counties of Telemundo being on basic with Univision on a special tier,

NBC is stuck with remaining on WHDH regardless if they want to be there or not.

We saw it with WHDH's initial refusal to carry "The Jay Leno Show" in favor of a 90 minute long newscast starting at 10pm. Yes, NBC didn't like it, but what options did they have? Yank the affiliation? Yes, WHDH relented, but WHDH was in a position of strength all along... not to mention that "The Jay Leno Show" became the biggest bomb in network television history, so Ansin and company were vindicated in their hesitation.

NBC has no option available in Boston, and quite frankly, I don't consider the above quote as a realistic option.

If I recall, this isn't the first time WSMV screwed up when it came to a soccer game. I think they also screwed up a few F1 races as well.

Figured they would've learned by now.

I'm going to say this, thank you WCNC for showing the match today (even though I hate both teams).

NBC is stuck with remaining on WHDH regardless if they want to be there or not.

We saw it with WHDH's initial refusal to carry "The Jay Leno Show" in favor of a 90 minute long newscast starting at 10pm. Yes, NBC didn't like it, but what options did they have? Yank the affiliation? Yes, WHDH relented, but WHDH was in a position of strength all along... not to mention that "The Jay Leno Show" became the biggest bomb in network television history, so Ansin and company were vindicated in their hesitation.

NBC has no option available in Boston, and quite frankly, I don't consider the above quote as a realistic option.

It's only slightly less unrealistic than Fox and WJZY. Or what Fox nearly did in Seattle. Or what's going on in Indy. Or WJXT going indy because Katharine Graham dying no longer meant keeping the peace between Alan Frank and CBS.

After seeing so much happen, I think that any scenario is possible, no matter how far fetched.

Good evening everyone.

So, WHP-TV (CBS21), Harrisburg, PA has themselves in a bit of a pickle tonight.

They have decided not to air CSI tonight, instead having their 11PM newscast show. The world is not ending here in the HLLY market so why would they do this??? Also, don't they have to air the show, since it's a network show???

So I guess I'm asking about here simply put is what is the rules for pre-empting shows??? Also worth noting, viewers are going on their FB page raging hell. One viewer wrote, "I don't have On Demand." So, Monday morning at the Sinclair station should be great!!!

-- Matt

It's only slightly less unrealistic than Fox and WJZY. Or what Fox nearly did in Seattle. Or what's going on in Indy. Or WJXT going indy because Katharine Graham dying no longer meant keeping the peace between Alan Frank and CBS.

After seeing so much happen, I think that any scenario is possible, no matter how far fetched.

But NBC isn't that risky. Or in Fox's case, criminally stupid.

They got ridiculously lucky in San Francisco, when KNTV 11 San Jose got a transmitter upgrade and emerged as a VHF fallback when relations with KRON collapsed. KNTV had an existing news department, so it wasn't a case of building up a news department from scratch.

But no fallback exists for them in Boston. And the thought of buying a high-end UHFer and sticking NECN newscasts just won't work. That's not how a traditional market like Boston works.

NBC will wait it out with Ansin, and hopefully will get a shot at WHDH before too long.

And CSI was new. Will it air on the West Coast or will they see a rerun?

I don't know. The CBS Twitter feed didn't address that. But I'm assuming that they will have to make up the episode somehow and won't want to specially schedule it for the eastern half of the country. So I'd guess it be easier of them to push back the series a week.

Archived