NBCSN Enters Frozen Dessert Business

24994J

We give NBC a lot of crap around here, much of it deserved. However, I gotta hand it to them this time. This is totally silly, but it's also some of the most creative advertising I've ever heard of.

http://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/news/2014/05/09/chicago-blackhawks-fans-get-free-icy-treats-thanks.html?page=all

Should they be called 'Peacock Pops'?

nbcsn-pop-truck*600xx1632-1086-0-0.jpg

We give NBC a lot of crap around here, much of it deserved. However, I gotta hand it to them this time. This is totally silly, but it's also some of the most creative advertising I've ever heard of.

http://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/news/2014/05/09/chicago-blackhawks-fans-get-free-icy-treats-thanks.html?page=all

Should they be called 'Peacock Pops'?

nbcsn-pop-truck*600xx1632-1086-0-0.jpg

If NBC makes an profit by selling the peacock pops, then yes!

NBC seems to do a lot of this type of marketing, I wouldn't go as far as to call it viral marketing but when they first got the Premier League they had a fleet of London taxicabs around NYC each painted in each clubs colors and logos with a giant peacock.

Then I think when Downton Abbey premiered I think they had several cars from that era promoting the show (Downton is a co production of Carnival Films which is owned by NBC and WGBH's Masterpiece) and they also had a tea truck giving out free tea.

This isn't their first venture into the world of ice cream; Ben and Jerry's has the "Midnight Snack" flavor, with Jimmy Fallon; they also released the SNL "Schweddy Balls" flavor, but they had to pull that quickly after protests.

Before the Stanley Cup Playoffs started they had partnered up with an NYC bakery to promote these "Puck"cakes that look like Drakes Ding-dongs so this isn't their first forray into the dessert business: http://uproxx.com/sports/2014/04/just-in-time-for-the-stanley-cup-playoffs-puck-cakes-the-pucks-you-can-eat/

They had a lengthy and creative "the Stanley Cup has been stolen" ad that was playing as part of the AMC/Regal/Cinemark FirstLook ad thing. Used a bunch of faux-reports from CNBC and MSNBC.

They had a lengthy and creative "the Stanley Cup has been stolen" ad that was playing as part of the AMC/Regal/Cinemark FirstLook ad thing. Used a bunch of faux-reports from CNBC and MSNBC.

There are two versions:

[yt]majBeDSByyA[/yt]

[yt]92StOv0iZIs[/yt]

Archived