KMGH anchor Mike Landess to retire

T.L. Hughes

After 50 years in broadcasting (28 of which collectively have been working in Denver; 16 at KUSA and the past 12 at KMGH), Mike Landess has announced that he will retire as evening anchor at Denver's KMGH-TV later this year.

The story here: http://www.thedenverchannel.com/about/7news-anchor-mike-landess-announces-his-retirement-from-the-anchor-desk

Bob Kendrick would never come back. There's a reason why viewers didn't seem to care for him at ch. 9, leading to his contract not getting renewed at the end of it.

With that said, nobody thought Mike Landess would come back to Denver after he was found passed out drunk and naked in his own car. Oops...

With that said, nobody thought Mike Landess would come back to Denver after he was found passed out drunk and naked in his own car. Oops...

I've heard weirder things that TV news people have done. But still, back up... when did this happen and can you find an article or something to back it up? :o

Bob Kendrick the former anchor of KUSA 9 in Denver should be the one to come back to Denver and take over Mike Landess who set to retire. I knew it was only a matter of time for Mike.

He won't. While I love Bob, he's happy at WSYX.

Bob Kendrick would never come back. There's a reason why viewers didn't seem to care for him at ch. 9, leading to his contract not getting renewed at the end of it.

When was this?

Bob was let go due to his overall cost. It wasn't that viewers didn't like him. When Gannett started to cut costs and standardize, Bob was the first thing to go.

I've heard weirder things that TV news people have done. But still, back up... when did this happen and can you find an article or something to back it up? :o

I can only find residual pieces of it online now, but I'd always heard that he got a DUI in the 90s, which also led to part of the reason why he left the market for a few years so that enough people would forget about it. Though I couldn't find anything about it scanning the free sections of the Denver Post archives, so perhaps this is just one of those rumors that I've always heard passed down that isn't true.

Either way, Landess is a really good anchor, and he probably represents to a lot of people the last of the big male anchors of yesteryear. He has a delivery that you just don't see very often anymore. He'll be hard to replace. I suppose they could promote Mitch Jelniker, who, if I remember correctly, was the weeknight anchor after Bjorkman left but before Landess came back, though he's also been very successful in the mornings. If not, I suppose I could see Marc Stewart being promoted.

Now, I just hope they don't let Anne Trujillo away from that news desk. Ever. Very few local anchors are as understated and underrated as she is. She appears to have somehow stopped the aging process (look at tapes of her back in the day - she looks exactly the same), so let's hope she'll stick around a little while longer.

I can only find residual pieces of it online now, but I'd always heard that he got a DUI in the 90s, which also led to part of the reason why he left the market for a few years so that enough people would forget about it. Though I couldn't find anything about it scanning the free sections of the Denver Post archives, so perhaps this is just one of those rumors that I've always heard passed down that isn't true.

Either way, Landess is a really good anchor, and he probably represents to a lot of people the last of the big male anchors of yesteryear. He has a delivery that you just don't see very often anymore. He'll be hard to replace. I suppose they could promote Mitch Jelniker, who, if I remember correctly, was the weeknight anchor after Bjorkman left but before Landess came back, though he's also been very successful in the mornings. If not, I suppose I could see Marc Stewart being promoted.

Now, I just hope they don't let Anne Trujillo away from that news desk. Ever. Very few local anchors are as understated and underrated as she is. She appears to have somehow stopped the aging process (look at tapes of her back in the day - she looks exactly the same), so let's hope she'll stick around a little while longer.

I'd not be surprised if Mitch Jelniker is bumped to lead and Eric Lupher takes the morning slot.

However (the things you learn looking at the Scripps career section), KMGH is planning to relaunch it's 4pm newscast once Katie ends in June (they are looking for a managing editor: http://www.scripps.com/job-details?rid=7769) and they are looking for a new anchor ( http://www.scripps.com/job-details?rid=76940 ), so we may see a bit of an anchor shuffle. Granted I know Mike is leaving in August, but they could do what KDVR did and hire anchors and then shift them when someone retires. This will be interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

Former KUSA and current KSTP/KTSC anchor Eric Kahnert will be returning to Denver to anchor at KMGH. And, his current news director at KSTP, Lindsay Radford, spilled the beans in this column stating “Eric has accepted the main anchor job at KMGH, the ABC affiliate, in Denver. They have a longtime guy there who’s retiring. Eric will take his seat. His last day with us will be June 1." So, I think you now know who Mike Landess' replacement will be.

Huh, that's a surprise. He'll be going head-to-head with Kyle Clark, one of his former work friends.

Too bad Marc Stewart didn't get it. I appreciated his understated style, and he's put his due time in.

Former KUSA and current KSTP/KTSC anchor Eric Kahnert will be returning to Denver to anchor at KMGH. And, his current news director at KSTP, Lindsay Radford, spilled the beans in this column stating “Eric has accepted the main anchor job at KMGH, the ABC affiliate, in Denver. They have a longtime guy there who’s retiring. Eric will take his seat. His last day with us will be June 1." So, I think you now know who Mike Landess' replacement will be.

Huh, that's a surprise. He'll be going head-to-head with Kyle Clark, one of his former work friends.

Too bad Marc Stewart didn't get it. I appreciated his understated style, and he's put his due time in.

I am in no way surprised! Clark and Kahnert had an on-air rivalry. When Clark was offered the 9pm position (and later lead, replacing Mark Koebrich), Kahnert left KUSA for KTSP. I think Kahnert liked our market, but there was no place for him here. However, now that Mike Landess is retiring, Eric feels like there is a place for him back in our market, and he is certainly welcome. I like him.

Archived