NBC renews Olympic Games with IOC through 2032

justin2kx

I guess @nbcdelayed will live on for the next generation...

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/76155/nbc-gets-olympics-through-2032-for-775b

and apparently there was no auction let alone competitive bidding so no games on CBS or FOX or (blessful) that Joe Buck becomes Primetime host.

http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/ioc-chief-defends-stealth-olympics-renewal-deal-with-nbcuniversal-1201174318/

"In other news, VPN subscriptions in the U.S. are at all-time highs, as Americans seek to escape NBC coverage of the Olympics through international outlets such as the BBC and the CBC."

I'm looking "forward" to eighteen more years of tape delays, editing of opening ceremonies because certain events "don't interest the American public," useless interviews, poor commentary, and TV everywhere. Not to say that no other American broadcaster wouldn't do such a thing, of course.

You guys act as if their coverage will never change...not saying that it will change, but you're too adamant that it won't.

Of course, if you don't like it, either change the channel or don't watch at all.

NBC Olympic coverage has sucked for the last two Olympic ceremonies. You really can't use the don't watch rhetoric for this one because we're limited to NBC's coverage. It didn't change after the complaints in 2012 and I doubt it'll be different in 2016.

You guys act as if their coverage will never change...not saying that it will change, but you're too adamant that it won't.

Of course, if you don't like it, either change the channel or don't watch at all.

It's okay; I don't plan on watching NBC's coverage. I'll be too busy streaming CBC/CTV/BBC through VPN services.

And to be fair, my problem with NBC mainly stems from its insensitivity; at the London opening ceremonies, NBC thought it would be a great idea to cut a tribute to the victims of the 7/7 London bombings....to air an interview with Michael Phelps. Add on to that the horrible commentary (not that Joe Buck would have helped, I admit) and their repeat of their 2012 performance during the Sochi games....it makes the entire experience horrible.

#NBCFail and the @NBCDelayed Twitter account are popular during the Olympics for a reason. If NBC "changes", it will be later rather than sooner.

#NBCFail and the @NBCDelayed Twitter account are popular during the Olympics for a reason. If NBC "changes", it will be later rather than sooner.

I got retweeted by @BobCostasEyes, so the Sochi games weren't all bad!

BgKAWDdCMAAl5HX.jpg

What if the US actually wins a bid for the Olympic Games before 2032? Then they can't tape delay the games now can they?

The person who runs @NBCDelayed would love that (sarcasm)....

And I actually don't mind NBC's coverage except for Bob Costas and his liberal politics. I support the American broadcasters and don't watch or stream foreign broadcasters for purposes of watching their Olympics coverage as those are intended for the people living in that respective country only.

Well said.

It's okay; I don't plan on watching NBC's coverage. I'll be too busy streaming CBC/CTV/BBC through VPN services.

And to be fair, my problem with NBC mainly stems from its insensitivity; at the London opening ceremonies, NBC thought it would be a great idea to cut a tribute to the victims of the 7/7 London bombings....to air an interview with Michael Phelps. Add on to that the horrible commentary (not that Joe Buck would have helped, I admit) and their repeat of their 2012 performance during the Sochi games....it makes the entire experience horrible.

To be fair, half of America knew about 7/7 after someone mentioned it after the Opening Ceremonies.

The other half probably forgot.

Even if they air any/every game or ceremonies live some people will not be able to catch it, leading to complaints. Either way, people will bitch whether the events are live or are on tape delay. NBC/Comcast is a business. Their business model is to get the maximum return on investment (via higher ad rates) and if that means tape delaying marquee events or the opening/closing ceremonies of the Olympics, then that is what they will do (and continue to do). They have made every event/ceremony available to viewers live via their online platforms since the London games, some may not like it but at least they're giving one that option. FWIW, even if another network would have won the rights to future olympic games, they probably would be doing the same thing as NBC.

I support the American broadcasters and don't watch or stream foreign broadcasters for purposes of watching their Olympics coverage as those are intended for the people living in that respective country only.

Of course, it is up to the broadcaster to enforce that provision. I mean, for goodness sakes, you can easily pick up CBC coverage over-the-air in Detroit (Windsor) and Buffalo (Toronto), and yes, quite a few people who watch the Olympics in border markets take that option. Add to that those who can watch the CBC via cable (again, border markets) and those who use VPNs....as technology develops and diffuses, country-based borders for broadcasting events become difficult to enforce, especially with regards to the internet. You may as well just temporarily ban VPNs and proxies (to cut off BBC access) and blackout all CBC access in U.S. border markets to "ensure" (ha!) that people watch NBC, but we all know that's not going to happen due to the logistical nightmare that would ensue, especially with regards to the former.

While NBC's online event coverage is...adequate (when their streams actually work; this was a big problem in 2012 and this year,) bar the commentary; it's just the opening ceremonies that put people in a pinch. Currently, NBC does not stream ceremonies live for those who want to watch them live, even though they stream every other event live.

Finally, MorningNews is right, we can't just "change the channel", because NBC has an IOC-granted monopoly on Olympic broadcasting in the United States. Basically, the options are this: watch NBC's coverage, use a VPN to watch international coverage, or don't watch.

Again, I respect everyone's opinions. If you like NBC's coverage, that is good for you and I hope that your NBC-provided Olympics experience in the foreseeable future is enjoyable. However, most of us that don't don't do it out of a perceived lack of patriotism; I still support NBC, CBS, NPR, etc., but that doesn't mean I have to support everything they do. Plus, speaking in economic terms, the viewer's preferred method of viewing the Olympics (if they do) comes down to the utility of each option: is NBC's coverage worth it, or is international coverage better? We all have different tastes.

At the end of the day, here are four facts: NBCUniversal will continue to air the Olympics in the U.S. through 2032, which will make some Americans happy. There will also be some Americans, myself included, who will not approve and will opt to complain on social media and/or stream international coverage through VPNs. There will be those who won't care regardless. NBC will still rake in the advertising dollars, regardless of what they do between now and 2032.

from variety:

"The length of the deal also raised immediate questions by pundits whether NBC and other TV networks will still be offering linear programming in 2032. (Comcast's Brian) Roberts alluded to this in his closing remarks on the call.

“No one can be quite sure what the world will look like in 2032,” (Roberts) said."

Question: will we still have "TV Networks" as we know it in 2032 or follow the line of at least the WWE Network?

The thing that bothers me about NBC is that they can be very good (just look at their coverage of the Premier League soccer matches). However NBC's Olympic coverage isn't handled by their sports department and the whole formula is based on an antiquated idea by someone who has long since retired (Ebersol).

I would be fine with NBC's primetime coverage staying the way it is (make it more like a highlights show for primetime viewers). I just wish they had more variety and more live coverage for people who want to watch it live on TV.

Hopefully they move away from the Ebersol method because it's an outdated one in today's society.

from variety:

"The length of the deal also raised immediate questions by pundits whether NBC and other TV networks will still be offering linear programming in 2032. (Comcast's Brian) Roberts alluded to this in his closing remarks on the call.

“No one can be quite sure what the world will look like in 2032,” (Roberts) said."

Question: will we still have "TV Networks" as we know it in 2032 or follow the line of at least the WWE Network?

The bigger question is, if Brian Roberts clearly knows this, then was the deal signed with the option of transferring the rights from OTA television onto Internet media platforms? Clearly Comcast would have the ability to set up non-linear content delivery if anyone.

But if that's not the case, then why make a deal strictly for linear platform delivery when even you admit it could become obsolete well before the end date?

The bigger question is, if Brian Roberts clearly knows this, then was the deal signed with the option of transferring the rights from OTA television onto Internet media platforms? Clearly Comcast would have the ability to set up non-linear content delivery if anyone.

But if that's not the case, then why make a deal strictly for linear platform delivery when even you admit it could become obsolete well before the end date?

I read somewhere that it was all media rights so they could pretty much do whatever they want.

I honestly have no problems with their coverage - Yes, they do tape delay but it is so they can get the biggest audience for that sport and it's streamed live. As for the opening and closing ceremonies I could care less if they cut out a segment or two and like the tape delay they do it so they can make the biggest bang for their buck. I never had any troubles with their Live Extra app (which I think has to do with being a Comcast subscriber) so I can't speak to that.

I wonder if this means other broadcasters which have always broadcast the Olympics won't have to go through the bid process, like the BBC. If I recall correctly the BBC paid something like £44 million for the broadcast rights for the London Olympics - but it definitely is worth noting that the US media market is significantly different than the rest of the world where we don't have state run broadcasting and it's driven by the free market. One example is for this past Olympic Games in Sochi the IOC raised £2.32 billion in rights fees and half of,that came from NBC.

At least ESPN has nothing to do with this......yet.

A lot can happen in the next 18 years. Heck, ESPN could be sucked into ComSinWarnCBSney somewhere along the line.... :rofl!:

At least for now, it's not another excuse to raise the fee for ESPN and for what millions of cable customers are stuck paying for.

At least ESPN has nothing to do with this......yet.

A lot can happen in the next 18 years. Heck, ESPN could be sucked into ComSinWarnCBSney somewhere along the line.... :rofl!:

At least for now, it's not another excuse to raise the fee for ESPN and for what millions of cable customers are stuck paying for.

It may very well be. But I don't think RSPN would go anywhere without ABC then there are rules that prohibit ownership of two broadcast networks.

Not too long ago I read that NBC largesse accounts for probably 1/5th of the budget of the entire IOC. It might be not too long that Comcast/NBC Universal just buys the Olympic organization outright.

Like how they own the Golden Globes broadcasts and are co-owners of the Miss America / Miss Universe competition? I think it honestly think it could happen but then there would be bias to the US which would outrageous the rest of the world.

This will be pretty interesting come 2024, when a dozen U.S. cities -- some of them Top 10 markets like L.A., Philadelphia, Dallas, Boston, San Francisco, and Washington D.C. -- are in contention to host those games.

Archived