Good Morning Britain

DMA

ITV has scrapped its troubled breakfast show Daybreak, launched in 2010, for the faster paced, and newsier format Good Morning Britain, which debuted Monday. Apparently it is heavily modeled after GMA and Today, and so far has been positively received.

Daybreak 1st Format (2010)

[yt]J-PXgXze5nk[/yt]

Daybreak 2nd Format (2012)

[yt]QmmBJB57mfg[/yt]

Good Morning Britain HD Opening (2014)

[yt]mnXgTns2aWg[/yt]

Good Morning Britain (20min)

[yt]jWpoS83xdkA[/yt]

1. Daybreak second format (2012) at 2:24: Am I the only one who hears KNBC 2007 and expecting the chime to flourish with the NBC signature at the end?

2. Good Morning Britain (2014): I hear them trying to mimic the John Williams older Today! theme for the headlines (and strong brass signature) and then the graphics try to mirror the current Today! graphics.

Can no one be original?

Thanks Britain.

Love,

Sam

1. Daybreak second format (2012) at 2:24: Am I the only one who hears KNBC 2007 and expecting the chime to flourish with the NBC signature at the end?

2. Good Morning Britain (2014): I hear them trying to mimic the John Williams older Today! theme for the headlines (and strong brass signature) and then the graphics try to mirror the current Today! graphics.

Can no one be original?

Thanks Britain.

Love,

Sam

Yesssss thats exactly what I was saying.... But then again ITV and NBC did have a content sharing deal since the 90s plus new NBC News prez came from ITV as well so idk if the top brass saw it as a chance to peak across the pond.. But yes the features are quote striking

ITV has scrapped its troubled breakfast show Daybreak, launched in 2010, for the faster paced, and newsier format Good Morning Britain, which debuted Monday. Apparently it is heavily modeled after GMA and Today, and so far has been positively received.

Daybreak 1st Format (2010)

[yt]J-PXgXze5nk[/yt]

Daybreak 2nd Format (2012)

[yt]QmmBJB57mfg[/yt]

Good Morning Britain HD Opening (2014)

[yt]mnXgTns2aWg[/yt]

Good Morning Britain (20min)

[yt]jWpoS83xdkA[/yt]

I kinda like what I see from this. I also liked the second format from Daybreak I wish the crew well.

I know we have two threads but I did want to discuss Daybreak at some length. Maybe a mod can change this title to ITV Breakfast or something or other?

Anyway, for years the morning show on ITV was called GMTV. While it basically was a show on ITV, technically it was a separate broadcaster, holding a different license than the since-consolidated ITV regions, but sharing the same channel. If it helps, think Cartoon Network and Adult Swim. They're both separate networks for Nielsen reasons. For years, ITV wanted full control of the slot, but couldn't get it because Disney owned 25%. They bought Disney out, and then decided that they needed to totally change things to make it their own. Nevermind that GMTV was (somewhat) successful - it was to be canned to make way for Daybreak.

Daybreak was such a disasterbacle that it made CNN's attempts at morning shows look respectable. Basically what ITV did was sign away the two stars of a BBC1 magazine show, Adrian Chiles and Christine Bleakley, because of their chemistry. Unfortunately, the guy was naturally grumpy and the girl wasn't a morning person, so that chemistry they had at 7pm was completely absent at 7am. Viewing figures for the show halved.

They axed the duo in 2011, and totally revamped the show in an attempt to save it in 2012. Didn't work. They again raided the BBC for a presenter (Susanna Reid) but without the hype that surrounded Adrian Chiles and Christine Bleakley. So now we have Good Morning Britain (2014), which borrows its name for the main programme of TV-AM long ago.

One thing that I find interesting is that the crawl is a national feed and ITV the way the network is setup they can't superimpose it. An engineer I spoke to described their local news cut ins (or as they call it in the UK regional opts) as technically challenging because they don't occur at a set time as they do here in the us at 25 and 55 minutes past the hour.

Apparently the way the ITV and for that matter the BBC's network is used to be setup is that they national feed is delivered to each transmitter and for each opt it is done by a hard cut at the transmitter. Now the way ITV signal is routed for Good Morning Britain that each station sends their live news update to the national play out center in London which then transmits it to the local transmitters.

Where as here in the US the network sends the national feed to the US where it is switched locally from the affiliates master control where they can overlay the local time and temperature if they choose to and insert their local news update on site then heads straight to the transmitter.

The only thing the network controls is the national feed and they can trigger when the local news crawl, time and temperature disappears from the screen when they do weather or go to commercial so that there is not any stray text on screen. Then again sometimes they forget to turn off the cue for a few seconds after the main lower third disappears for weather.

I have two possible hypothesis of the composer for the GMB theme. Most obviously we think that it could very well be Non-Stop Music (the composers of the Today! sonic package).

Or, though isn't a first choice, DreamArtists Studio (who have composed much of the ABC network music as of late).

Archived