ITV Good Morning Britain

JoshRy

ITV's new breakfast show 'Good Morning Britain' launched today (April 28).

A bit of background: Earlier this year, Susanna Reid, the main presenter of ITV's main rival, BBC Breakfast, defected from the channel to join Good Morning Britain. It was quite a big story at the time, and over the past few weeks it was revealed that she would present alongside three other presenters, which is obviously quite an American custom.

The set design is heavily based on US breakfast shows, with a lot of elements from NBC, ABC and CBS used. The opening is also very similar to NBC's Today Show too.

Here's the open:

gmbweather_zps6cd84756.jpg

That entire intro reminds me everything of Today... Especially how the music with the horns fading when zooming onto the desk is very Today-esque to me... The four person set up reminds me of GMA.. Would have been funny if they ended up having a plaza as well just like Today lol. But I sense its going to have a slight uproar within Britain

Also another thing i noticed after watching Todays open just now.. GMB clearly borrowed the circles expanding bit from Today as well in their open

Anyone notice that the ticker on the set and the graphics are perfectly timed. I'm not a fan of the graphics but find it interesting how ITV News is shown in several places on screen especially considering it isn't an ITN Production. ITN does provide the news content for the show but the show is produced by the breakfast franchisee.

Several people that I communicate on twitter with did say that it was comparable to Good Morning America with the amount of fluff that's in the newscast.

Anyone notice that the ticker on the set and the graphics are perfectly timed. I'm not a fan of the graphics but find it interesting how ITV News is shown in several places on screen especially considering it isn't an ITN Production. ITN does provide the news content for the show but the show is produced by the breakfast franchisee.

That's what is most fascinating about it all.

Technically, ITV plc holds the licenses for the breakfast franchises and the vast majority of the channel 3 licenses at the same time, so the distinction is almost completely nonexistent. But due to the fact that UTV and STV are still separate channel 3 franchises, ITV plc cannot negotiate a different end time for the breakfast franchise... thus, their programs always end at 0925.

That's what is most fascinating about it all.

Technically, ITV plc holds the licenses for the breakfast franchises and the vast majority of the channel 3 licenses at the same time, so the distinction is almost completely nonexistent. But due to the fact that UTV and STV are still separate channel 3 franchises, ITV plc cannot negotiate a different end time for the breakfast franchise... thus, their programs always end at 0925.

That is one thing that I never really couldn't understand why Ofcom (UKs equivalent of the FCC) set up ITV its. Sure ITV Plc owns all of the regions and franchises but there is nothing that guarantees that ITV will keep its regions and all of its franchises. Prior to the reorganization / merger of ITV Plc there would be one group for breakfast tv, one for weekday service and another for weekend service. I know if I was running ITV I'd be worried about the fact that every ten years I may not have a day part of my schedule because someone outbid me.

Hypothetically NBC News could bid for the breakfast franchise and in theory win. There I'd be running a network which I don't have control over for three hours. In theory they could just air bars and tone the entire time and I wouldn't have a lead lim for my next show.

Archived