Breaking the 60 FPS barrier with online video

Jess

This is awesome!

Some day I'd love to re-upload clips from my collection in high quality. Most of what I have on Youtube that's mine is 240p (uploaded 320x240). Was there an option to change from 30 to 60 when you captured it? What did you use?

Here's what's happening. SD video is 480i. The i means interlaced. There are 30 frames per second, but they consist of two fields. The human eye translates this to a 60fps picture, but the TV is really only running at 30 fps. Most videos intended for the Internet are encoded to 30fps, but they're "deinterlaced", which in most cases means that fields are dropped or blended. It's high fidelity but the frame rate is effectively halved, so a lot of things on the web look, for lack of a better word, "computery".

My workflow?

I open my files in VirtualDub. I apply any necessary processing for aspect ratio and such, and then I run a deinterlacing filter. This one, instead of blending, interpolates the fields and doubles the framerate. It is not perfect - tickers look "fuzzy" when I do this - but it results in a clear, smooth, 60fps picture.

YouTube currently doesn't support 60fps video, so I had to put it up here.

I also work from the master material, which usually is a DVD or MPEG file. That has the interlacing in it.

I open my files in VirtualDub. I apply any necessary processing for aspect ratio and such, and then I run a deinterlacing filter. This one, instead of blending, interpolates the fields and doubles the framerate. It is not perfect - tickers look "fuzzy" when I do this - but it results in a clear, smooth, 60fps picture.

I've heard of that, I was researching this stuff but I couldn't exactly find a virtualdub filter that would "double the framerate" so I had to use motionperfect instead... What exactly are you using anyway, I would like to try that on my videos someday in the future.

I like it. A lot. It's amazing how in this age of LCD displays, those of us who haven't looked at a CRT in a while can sort of forget what actual 60i video looks like.

I was already thinking about the possibilities of how something like this might be done - glad to see you've actually done it.

I'm also intrigued by how the Eyewitness News logo looks less fluid than the rest of the animation in the intro. Was it the case that CGI was rendered at 30fps, while DVE effects were rendered at 60i, and I just never noticed?

I'd also be interested in seeing if there's a way to simulate 60Hz "scan" in 60p. What would happen if you were to take the interlaced image apart into its 60 fields per second, expand each half-height field to full height by putting black lines in between (alternating even/odd/even/odd...) and then output them in sequential order at 60fps?

I like it. A lot. It's amazing how in this age of LCD displays, those of us who haven't looked at a CRT in a while can sort of forget what actual 60i video looks like.

I was already thinking about the possibilities of how something like this might be done - glad to see you've actually done it. Though...do you think that interpolating it might make it a little TOO fluid? Are you sure it's not generating "fake" frames, like that awful motion-blending feature on modern LCD sets?

And why does the Eyewitness News logo look choppier than the rest of the animation in the intro? Was it always the case that CGI was rendered with 30 full-resolution images per second (meaning it only changes position once every frame), and DVE effects were rendered with 60 half-resolution images per second (meaning it changes position once every *field*), and I just never noticed? Or is it something else? (And I swear that when the anchor images sweep up at us, their movement suddenly becomes less fluid - or is it just that the less fluid CGI behind them is playing tricks on my eyes?)

I'd also be interested in seeing if there's a way to simulate the 60Hz alternating-fields "scan" effect in 60p. What would happen if you were to take the interlaced image apart into its 60 fields per second, expand each half-height field to full height by putting black lines in between ("top-field" frames having black on every even line, and "bottom-field" frames having black on every odd line), and then put them in sequential order at 60fps?

I know you edited the post, but you brought up some good points, so I'll quote it here.

There is indeed a little bit of guesswork involved in 60 fps conversion. VLC's wiki even calls it "a fundamentally impossible process that must always produce some image degradation, since it ideally requires "temporal interpolation" which involves guessing the movement of every object in the image and applying motion correction to every object." It's always going to be best guess, but it's not generating "fake" frames like on those horrible 120hz TVs. (Tickers are the one place you will probably see the most noticable degradation.)

Still, doubling and interpolating yields a more "genuine" depiction of the animation, as it aired on TV. The 30fps convert of this open disguised the obvious difference between the progressive background animations and the interlaced DVE effects. The 60fps version unveils that.

Archived