Hearing news voiceovers in other places

Guest cfif

• 7 years later...
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rode the train at DFW airport; pretty sure I heard Doc Morgan doing the announcements.

Yup. (Also, wow this thread has some dust on it!)

My most particular experience with this was when Doug Paul was the voice of Jos. A. Bank until a couple of years ago. It came as a surprise as it's been quite some time since he did a TV station.

Both Bill Ratner and Eric Gordon (the VO at WFMZ) were in Grand Theft Auto V- Ratner did various ads and promos for in-universe stuff, while Gordon was the VO for the local conservative talk station, Blaine County Radio ("Home of the Patriot"). I didn't expect to hear them in the game at all when I first played it.

Both Bill Ratner and Eric Gordon (the VO at WFMZ) were in Grand Theft Auto V- Ratner did various ads and promos for in-universe stuff, while Gordon was the VO for the local conservative talk station, Blaine County Radio ("Home of the Patriot"). I didn't expect to hear them in the game at all when I first played it.

FOX News Channel voice-over Greg O'Neill was also in GTA.

God, how did I not know about this thread for ten years?

I came to the GI Joe party late, so it wasn't until it got replayed on Cartoon Network that I heard the voice of Flint (basically the leader) and then went "wait a minute... that's Bill Ratner..." I know the first Family Guy since its uncancellation used him (as an announcer AND as Flint).

The voice of Superman was, for years, "radio or television announcer guy". That probably is why Supes is played by Danny Dark in the Superfriends franchise, and by Beau Weaver in the late 80s Ruby-Spears show. Beau Weaver also does Mr. Fantastic/Reed Richards in the 90s Fantastic Four cartoon, which I think suits that type of voice better.

Then there's David Kaye, who to me is more of an animation guy who does voiceovers than the opposite. Well, mostly because of his epic turn in Beast Wars: Transformers.

(To be fair, he does a great job of disguising his voice.) Lately, though, he's been the voiceover guy on Last Week Tonight with John Oliver, and he routinely kills it each and every week:

EDIT: Annnnnd that brought me to a John Oliver binge, which brought me to this clip that I had to share:

(And frankly, if you're like me, the first thing you google after that is "RadioShack jingle".)

• 4 weeks later...
I've definitely heard Jeff Laurence in NutriSystem's commercials, among other infomercials.

Jeff Laurence, like Charlie Van Dyke and Jim Cutler, has had an active radio voiceover/imaging career. Cutler will actively travel to Bristol to cut imaging promos for ESPN Radio (IIRC, he posted a video of that process).

Pat ("It's Team Coverage. It's WJZ.") Garrett has long been a radio host/DJ in addition to his voiceover career. Ditto with Chuck Matthews, who is the evening host on internet-only AAA oWOWnow.com.

Jeff Laurence, like Charlie Van Dyke and Jim Cutler, has had an active radio voiceover/imaging career. Cutler will actively travel to Bristol to cut imaging promos for ESPN Radio (IIRC, he posted a video of that process).

Pat ("It's Team Coverage. It's WJZ.") Garrett has long been a radio host/DJ in addition to his voiceover career. Ditto with Chuck Matthews, who is the evening host on internet-only AAA oWOWnow.com.

Charlie Van Dyke was also a radio host (not just radio VOs). He hosted many shows back in the 70s, including the one in Canada (CKLW).

And even though I'm not a fan of its format, I do miss Garrett's VOs on WGCI-FM here in Chicago.

John Young did his share of radio jingles over the years, too, especially in the 80s.

Not necessarily a voiceover, but I was surprised to hear Bill Kurtis' voice in an episode of 30 Rock.

Bill Kurtis has branched out into radio of late, becoming the emcee of "Wait Wait Don't Tell Me!" on NPR, as well as becoming the imaging voice for WGN 720.

Bill Kurtis has branched out into radio of late, becoming the emcee of "Wait Wait Don't Tell Me!" on NPR, as well as becoming the imaging voice for WGN 720.

Oh yes, I'm very familiar with WWDTM. I used to hate the show until I actually started paying attention to it and found it funny. But in this 30 Rock episode, he plays a voice that speaks to Tracy Morgan's character. It was only one line in one episode, but it was undeniably his voice. (Yes, I'm only about ten years late to watching 30 Rock...)

And I swear he's done some radio spots for the Wisconsin Lottery as of late.

As a "Wait Wait" listener, it'd freak me out if this is the case.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived